TIPS, TRICKS and TIDBITS -  How to make Fimo cabs using a mould (129 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 3) 

New to fimo clay and have a question about using moulds.

(Apoligising in advance for any typo's, english is not my first language so dont go to technical on me please lol)

I have a flexy mould for making cabs but wanted to know how i would have to work to make a cab with these of a bulls eye cane.

How do i go about getting the cane in without distorting the image and getting any airbubbles inbetween the mould and the clay?

Reply   Options 

To: Sarouchka  (2 of 3) 
 70003.2 in reply to 70003.1 

I would start with these excellent instructions from Penny Jo, who makes and sells flexible molds on her website:

http://www.bestflexiblemolds.com/freetutorial1.htm

If that doesn't answer most of your questions, I'm sure she'll pop in here soon enough and can answer them herself.

To: Sarouchka  (3 of 3) 
 70003.3 in reply to 70003.1 
Hi,

Thanks for a very good question.

If you want to make a cab using a mold and a bulls eye cane, here are two things that I would do. There are two ways that might work.

1.  Roll a ball of clay that is similar in size to the mould and similar in color to the lightest color in the bulls eye cane.

Cut a thin slice from your bulls eye cane. Gently press the slice of bulls eye cane until it softens. When it is soft and pliable lay it into the mold and press it in place.

Press the ball of clay into the mold from the center out. This should seal the bulls eye piece of clay onto the front of the cab.

2.  Fill the mold (mould) part way full of a color clay that is similar to the lightest color in the bulls eye cane. Remove the molded cabochon and set it aside.

Cut a thin slice from your bulls eye cane. Gently press the slice of bulls eye cane until it softens.

When it is soft and pliable press the slice onto the center of the cabochon you set aside. Pressing from the center out, press the slice of cane onto the cabochon being careful to catch no air bubbles.

Return the cabochon to the mold, and press very firmly to make the slice of bulls eye cane bond to the cab.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I may be of further service.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.