Techniques/Lessons/Projects -  Glazing-Rough? (122 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 6) 
I use Pledge Floor Care  Tile and Vinyl Floor finish with future shine (its an acrylic protectant and works just like the sculpey glaze). However, I have noticed lately that its leaving my pieces feeling rough. Almost like there is a grit to it...or something gritty in the finish. 

When I first started using this product, it didn't do this. It was a clean, smooth finish and held up very nicely. Lately though, it's not working out so well. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and I know my pieces are already pretty smooth when I go to glaze them. 

Was wondering if anyone else had a good, CHEAP alternative to the sculpey glazes? The Future Shine stuff is about $6 a bottle and lasts foreverrrrrr. That's why I started using it. The sculpey glaze (and others) are way less for wayyy more money. I go through quite a bit of glaze, so buying the small bottles just isn't goin to work for me. 

Thanks in advanced!

Crystal 
Crystal's PolyCreations

Reply   Options 

To: Crystal's PolyCreations (cvanl84)  (2 of 6) 
 70193.2 in reply to 70193.1 

Crystal, is it possible your bottle has become contaminated with something? Or your brush or applicator?

I've never liked using pledge because I worry about how easy it is to remove (with alcohol, ammonia or even just hot soapy water, I've found).

I prefer what is now called Rustoleum Elite Diamond Varathane - water-based wood sealer. You can usually find it at hardware stores in quarts or half-gallons (and that's expensive) but it lasts and lasts and lasts forever. Amazon retailers sell smaller quantities, as does Polymer Clay Express.

Minwax also sells a water-based polyurethane that works with clay, and Kelly-Moore Paint stores have a product called Kelthane that works perfectly well (their stores are all west of the Mississippi, I think).

To: Crystal's PolyCreations (cvanl84)  (3 of 6) 
 70193.3 in reply to 70193.1 

Hi Crystal, That's a shame about the Pledge starting to "grit-out"on your pieces. Sorry I can't suggest something to help, although perhaps one could strip the piece the way one does a floor (ammonia?)and start over with something else.

If you ever want to try something new:
Here's the URL to my PCC thread on finishing/varnishing with Varathane (i.e., now Rustoleum Elite Diamond Varathane-waterbased) using Sarajane's idea of slightly moistened makeup sponge ON PREMO clay (so it looks like super shiny glass, not plastic). Because Kato is hydrophobic these directions may not work well with Kato.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/polymerclay/messages?msg=64052.4

Anita in AZ
http://www.MelodyODesigns.artfire.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/melodyodesigns/
http://www.melobeau.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/melobeau/

To: Crystal's PolyCreations (cvanl84)  (4 of 6) 
 70193.4 in reply to 70193.1 
I also think it is something being left behind by your applicator. If you're using one of those black sponge brushes, no doubt that is the culprit. It's not a very durable material which is why they're so inexpensive and they do break down after awhile into a very fine grit.

Lynn

To: DesertRubble (boozersworld)  (5 of 6) 
 70193.5 in reply to 70193.4 
Thank you to everyone for your thoughts on this, and your suggestions! I will definitely keep the information in mind and try a few new things to see just how I can improve on this situation. The past few months, I've gotten back into the polymer clay scene and before when I started....I wasn't glazing. So when I started to glaze all my pieces I thought "Wow! Why wasn't I doing this before, they're beautiful!" Now it's frustrating to see my pieces fall to the grit scenario :(. 

But, I will try some of these suggestions out and hopefully it's just an applicator issue. 
Though, I didn't even think about how easily this stuff would wash off of the pendant, so maybe a new type of glaze is in order. 

Thanks again! 

To: Crystal's PolyCreations (cvanl84) unread  (6 of 6) 
 70193.6 in reply to 70193.5 
 After trying a number of things (and most recently being enamoured of Golden varnish for awhile, until a covered tin that I kept in my handbag scratched too easily), I also switched to Varathane and like it best of the lot. I think it stands to reason that any varnish meant for floors is tough enough to stand up to people's walking on it, and therefore will not easily get damaged. Besides, it's cheap, compared with products that are just made for the polymer clay craft. I take a little out into a baby food bottle and work from that. If it gets spoiled for any reason, I don't lose much by throwing it out and starting with a fresh small supply.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.