TIPS, TRICKS and TIDBITS -  Water is my friend (154 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 10) 
I read somewhere that water can be used to get rid of finger prints. I tried it and it really works. When I am working I keep a jar of water right there at the table. If I see a finger print or knick or anything I don't like I wet my finger and go over the spot until it is gone. Leaves the surface very smooth.

Kari

Reply   Options 

To: klcrist  (2 of 10) 
 70194.2 in reply to 70194.1 

Cornstarch is another good buddy that does a lot the same.  I just wouldn't want to mix the two!! LOL  Cornstarch will also take some shine out if you are wanting a more matte finish on that particular project.  I like using both.

MK Ozarks

To: klcrist  (3 of 10) 
 70194.3 in reply to 70194.1 
Depends on the clay, actually. Some clays will turn to mush when you add water.

Agnes (Primatoide on Flickr) was doing experiments with lace canes where the holes in the cane were made of play-dough that was then soaked out after the piece was sliced. She said that the Pardo she used was deteriorating. She said Fimo was the same way. http://www.flickr.com/photos/primatoide/8067734173/in/photostream

That being said, I think most of us have used a spit covered finger to smooth out a nick on the clay. But in general, I think I get a better result from cornstarch. Try it!

To: gingersblue  (4 of 10) 
 70194.4 in reply to 70194.3 
I have the same problem with backgroundless canes that i reduce using the Play Doh method.  When you use water the get out the remaining PD, the outside of the cane becomes sticky and very difficult to handle.  I use Fimo Soft - do any of the other brands of clay not have this problem?  - Beth

To: bethcurran  (5 of 10) 
 70194.5 in reply to 70194.4 

I use Kato and I've never had that problem.  I even use a soft toothbrush on it and it doesn't harm it.

MK Ozarks

To: bethcurran  (6 of 10) 
 70194.6 in reply to 70194.4 
Fimo is water soluble before curing. Do not use water as a release agent for Fimo - it will make a sticky mess. It is ok for Kato, Premo and Sculpey.

To: DocSarah DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 10) 
 70194.7 in reply to 70194.6 
Cool, I'll get some Premo and use that for the outer lining of the next cane I make using the backgroundless method.  Thanks for the tips! - Beth

To: gingersblue  (8 of 10) 
 70194.8 in reply to 70194.3 

Thanks - I will be careful - I don't use a whole lot and just enough to wet my finger. I use Premo at the moment and it does not seem to have any issues so far. I will give the corn starch a try. I do use it as a releasing agent and it works wonderful for that.

Kari

To: klcrist  (9 of 10) 
 70194.9 in reply to 70194.8 
I've used cornstarch as a releasing agent for years, but only recently realized that it was great for smoothing the surface of clay before baking. Especially for those times when you cut out a sheet with a cookie cutter and the edges are "squared" off. Smoothing your finger over them with cornstarch allows you to round off the edge a bit and that really helps cut down on sanding.

Some people say that cornstarch leaches out the plasticizer making the clay more brittle, but I've not had the slightest trouble with that. You don't use that much cornstarch and if you bake right away there's not time for leaching anyway.

To: All  (10 of 10) 
 70194.10 in reply to 70194.1 
I use parchment paper to remove fingerprints. I have been doing this for a couple of years & it works very well. Just remember that some colors, especially red, bleed. I do not remember where I learned about this (probably at PCC), but, it has considerably decreased the amount of sanding. Hope this helps...

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.