Techniques/Lessons/Projects -  Art Glitter Institute's Fantasy Film (385 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 6) 

Has anyone used the Art Glitter Institute's fantasy film on their clay? Their Youtube video shows that it can be ironed on a 'silk' setting (under parchment paper), but it looks so thin (very much like cellophane) that I wondered if it would just melt all over the place in an oven. Or even let off toxic fumes.

I spoke to a rep at the firm who is sending me some samples to test (she was not sure of the answer - and her film 'guru' was not available), but I have a new oven and I don't want to either destroy my oven or release toxic fumes.

Thanks!

Here is the link to the site - www.artglitter.com/retail/fantasyfilm.htm

Reply   Options 

To: paularose  (2 of 6) 
 70558.2 in reply to 70558.1 

I have used it but never put it in my oven. It is very thin .. and to use it like they suggested ironing it on a stamp I layered it three times used the parchment and ironed for just a few seconds. it melted pretty quickly. Not sure how it would hold up in the oven. I don't know anything about the fumes cant help you there. I have a small piece left and I want to play with clay today so maybe I will try it

To: Fatalee  (3 of 6) 
 70558.3 in reply to 70558.2 

Dear Fatalee:

Good luck! I hope nothing bad happens with your experiment!

I'm thinking maybe I can put a few small pieces into the clay and then bake it, as opposed to layering a sheet over the top of a flat piece...as I thought I might do.

Thanks for your reply, too!

Paula

To: paularose  (4 of 6) 
 70558.4 in reply to 70558.1 
I've used it many times but never baked it with the clay. I use it with baked clay and resin. I doubt it would melt all over your oven. but it can burn up. although 275 is not really a very high temp so it might be ok. sounds like you'll just have to try it...

To: paularose  (5 of 6) 
 70558.5 in reply to 70558.1 

If it's the same stuff, I have never baked it, only used it for fairy wings, glued to a wire armature and then zapped with a heat gun. It melts with the heat gun, but that sucker gets to 800 degrees F, if I remember right...

Sherry Bailey

To: paularose unread  (6 of 6) 
 70558.6 in reply to 70558.1 
I have used Fantasy Film on both baked and raw polymer clay and baked it in the oven, but only with a coat of liquid kato over it to protect it. Otherwise, it does melt and distort terribly. I made lots of bookmarks with it, and with the fantasy fibers. 

Kimba

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.