TIPS, TRICKS and TIDBITS -  Wall hanging - Newbie question (239 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 7) 
Hi all,

I am toying with the idea of making a wall hanging with polymer clay - not sure yet whether I'll be using polymer clay only.

I've been using polymer clay solely for making jewelry up to now so I have a newbie question on wall hangings :-)

My question is pretty basic - what is the best base to use? My idea would be to make something like a "painting" with polymer clay - so what would be the best "canvas" to use in this case?  Glass, metal? have no idea lol

Also, do I need to glue the polymer clay to it?

Thank you so much for your help.

Marica

Reply   Options 

To: gypsyzam unread  (2 of 7) 
 70615.2 in reply to 70615.1 

The latest issue of Polymer Arts magazine just had an article on that very topic - foundations for wall hangings! It was pretty informative.

I like canvasboard, myself, for painting on with clay. I've only done two very small projects, so I dont' consider myself an expert, but it did work fine. I've also used just a sheet of clay for a base, but it tends to warp if it is at all thin.

I've made a couple of wall-clocks, and both times used clay in thick sheets with wire mesh between the layers. I have a step-through project page here: http://gilladianpolyclay.pbworks.com/w/page/42387851/The%20Blue%20Clock where you can see the mesh and the base clay.

To: gilladian  (3 of 7) 
 70615.3 in reply to 70615.2 
Wow what a detailed tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing it. I'll bookmark it and will go through it word for word lol when I start this project.

Your clock is beautiful!

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question and also for writing that step-by-step tutorial ... must have taken you a lot of time to write it's so detailed!

Marica

To: gilladian  (4 of 7) 
 70615.4 in reply to 70615.2 

Nice clock, Gillian!

Jackie

To: 7Jackie DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 7) 
 70615.5 in reply to 70615.4 

Thanks, Jackie...

To: gypsyzam unread  (6 of 7) 
 70615.6 in reply to 70615.3 
The steps were written back when I still thought I had ambitions to write articles on clay for a magazine - it's more fun just to share!

To: gilladian  (7 of 7) 
 70615.7 in reply to 70615.6 
I see. I have no intention to write articles or tutorials at this stage of my polymer clay journey. Maybe in 10 years time lol

But I can appreciate that step-by-step instructions and tutorials take a LOT of time to write and yes I can see how they take the "fun" bit out of it when you're making them.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.