Techniques/Lessons/Projects -  Needs Polymer clay base help ... (327 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 5) 
Hi, I've been dabbling with Polymer clay for awhile now but never really sold any of the things I make. After a nudge from a friend I decided to start out trying to sell my clay things. I got my first order for 12 clay votive candle holders. I am excited to get to work but I'm stumbling on how to create a clay base for me to build the rest of the candle holder decor items on. The diameters of the glass candle holder is pretty large which means I'll need to make a large platform. I'm planning on using an oval shape but don't want to make it completely outta clay. My trial proto-type I used aluminum foil to make a oval base them covered in clay but the size was too small. I'm gonna need an oval base that's probably 12" x 11" or kinda wide and just to make my 12" x 6" trial base it took an entire roll of aluminum foil just to make one base to that size. I don't want my supply costs to go over the profit margin as it kinda already did buying enough clay to make 12 votive holders. Is there any other way I can make an oval base without buying those oval wood plaques and covering it in clay. There has to be a way to make the base using less clay and not so much foil. Any suggestions or idea would be appreciated ! Thanks.

Reply   Options 

To: MYTCR8TiV unread  (2 of 5) 
 70644.2 in reply to 70644.1 

I'm having a hard time envisioning what you want to make. Votives are generally about 1.5 inches in diameter, so I don't get why you need something a foot long...

That said, why NOT use an oval wooden base covered in clay?  For that dimension, wood is the lightest, sturdiest, most logical base TO use. (Use a 50% off coupon from Michaels or AC Moore to get one...) Paint the wood with white glue and allow to dry to give the base some grip for the clay, and you are good to go. (Most other things, including compressed foil, will bend and cause an clay veneer to crack. You don't want that.)

Sherry Bailey

To: MYTCR8TiV unread  (3 of 5) 
 70644.3 in reply to 70644.1 
Cardboard and foil works and is sturdy if you use good, corrugated unbent cardboard but really... wood would be my first pick or a piece or an inexpensive metal tray the right size / shape.

Sounds huge for a first go at a commercial project!

Elaine

To: Elaine (tooaquarius) unread  (4 of 5) 
 70644.4 in reply to 70644.3 
Thanks for the tips guys ! I did decide to go with a wood base. The exact measurements may have been off. I don't think I'll need a 12" but maybe a 7"-8" L x 6"-7". The person who requested me to make them these clay candle holders is a candle maker herself and told me her votive candles are 2" in. diameter and the glass which the votive goes in is a 2¼" in. diameter. So a fairly large votive candle compared to most votive candle sizes. She requested a dozen in different designs so I wanted to keep costs down as those oval wood plaques can cost a few bucks each and needing 13 *one extra for a special custom order from a friend of hers* will add up in costs.

To: MYTCR8TiV unread  (5 of 5) 
 70644.5 in reply to 70644.4 
the wood (painted, not covered with polymer clay) will be cheaper and more professional looking than making them out of PC.   Using cheap polymer clay, in general, will be very expensive because it breaks easily.  Avoid Scupley III and store brands.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.