Techniques/Lessons/Projects -  Cutter disappointment (772 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 18) 
Hi Everyone, I am new to working with polymer clay, but having fun. I invested in Aetco metal cutters, too many, because here is my problem. they are not even! The hearts are slightly  rounder on one side than the other, the squares are slightly off on one side, etc. ect. I want to sell my jewelry and cannot do it when the pieces are not precise. Yes I'm picky, I'm a stained glass artist and take pride in things being spot on. I was excited to learn of the plastic wrap technique when using cutters so the edges are nice and smooth. The only cutter that cuts evenly is an old plastic cookie cutter, but they are too large for my purposes. Do any of you know of a good source of small PLASTIC cutters for polymer clay? I'm kind of leary to buy anymore metal ones. Thanks

Reply   Options 

To: betsykins7  (2 of 18) 
 70725.2 in reply to 70725.1 
you can make your own with aluminum flashing strips from the hardware store and super glue. Fold on end over to make a "safe" top edge to the dutter, then bend to suit., overlap, cut, and glue.

To: SJPOLYCLAY  (3 of 18) 
 70725.3 in reply to 70725.2 

So do you feel that this would solve my problem, and making my own out of strips would make both sides perfectly the same? I'm not quite understanding. Do you have a method of doing this that won't make it flatter where you have to overlap the aluminum? This is exactly where the cutters I bought cause the shape to not look good. I don't think I could do this any better. I wish I could cut around templates better. I did it a couple of times and the edges were rough and just not looking so great. when I try to smooth them with various tools, then it's not perfectly even all the way around. I love the whole cutter concept because the edges look so good when cut over plastic wrap, now if the shapes could just be perfect like my big old plastic cookie cutter! :-) 

To: SJPOLYCLAY  (4 of 18) 
 70725.4 in reply to 70725.2 
You might consider http://fatdaddios.com/catalog/cookie-cutters-5-1
they are all one piece w/o seams, I believe.
MK Ozarks

To: betsykins7  (5 of 18) 
 70725.5 in reply to 70725.1 
Before you give up entirely on metal cutters, you should contact Valerie Wallace and see if she is still selling the small seamless cutters. I have dozens of them, and I love them! They are seamless, so no mismatch there. They are very sturdy too, You can use either side to cut with on most of them, and they cut very well. Valerie's store is at http://www.polymerclay.co.uk/  but she doesn't have the cutters listed there. You can see them on her flicker site  ttp://www.flickr.com/photos/anandauk/sets/72157623401020621/

You can contact her through PCC, or e-mail her at valerie@polymerclay.co.uk   

Kimba

To: Kimba (mackimba)  (6 of 18) 
 70725.6 in reply to 70725.5 
thank you. Those cutters look great. I've never ordered from out of the country before, but I might check into that if the shipping isn't too much. :-)

To: betsykins7  (7 of 18) 
 70725.7 in reply to 70725.6 
Fat Daddio cutters are both seamless and evenly shaped. They are a lot more expensive, and they come in a set for which you may not need all the sizes.  Also, they're not as sharp.  That's the bad news. The good news is that, while more expensive, they do the job (which the cheap ones may not).  As for sharpness, a quick bit of sanding with about an 800 grit will take care of it.

I've also got a bunch of Valerie's from the UK. Excellent cutters, reasonably priced. And you get the ones you want as opposed to a big set.

Making your own is fine if you want a unique shape, but I think what you're describing is a standard shape that's precise.  Better to buy those IMO.

Good luck!

Betsy

To: betsykins7  (8 of 18) 
 70725.8 in reply to 70725.1 

Another thing is that metal cutters can often be reshaped a bit. See if you can bend the malformation out of them...

Plastic cutters are not always compatible with polymer clay -- you are probably OK using the plastic wrap, but raw clay on some plastics causes the plastic to soften and basically ruins it.

Good luck!

Sherry Bailey

To: MaryKay71  (9 of 18) 
 70725.9 in reply to 70725.4 
you temptress, you!
I think I have to have the fan set.

To: All  (10 of 18) 
 70725.10 in reply to 70725.8 
thanks for the replies. You have given me lots of options. And I can experiment with trying to reshape the metal cutters I have, if I ruin them it won't matter since I don't want to use them anymore. I'm not sure they will bend out right at that seam where the metal overlaps. The seamless cutters I looked up are great. My pocketbook may allow me to at least get the squares and circles to start with.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-18
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.