Techniques/Lessons/Projects -  New Atlas machine leaving ridges (346 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 9) 
Hi all. I'm a newbie to clay. I just bought the Atlas 180 I've read many tutorial on how to use it for clay. I sliced some 1/4" pieces of pink clay and rolled them in the machine. I started with #1 and went to #5. Because I want the piece somewhat thick for my pendant, I went back to rolling it on #1. I am getting slight ridges all throughout the flat piece. I can barely feel them, but they are noticeable. What could I be doing wrong?

Reply   Options 

To: betsykins7  (2 of 9) 
 70728.2 in reply to 70728.1 

Some pasta machines do that. I THINK it has to do with minute flaws in the scraper blades. You can order replacement scraper blades from Mona Kissel (http://www.monakissel.com/toolspasta.html)

I really suggest sending them your pasta machine and having them modify it for easy cleaning, too. It's $25 plus shipping both ways (another $25 more or less), and WELL worth it!

To solve your problem at this time, try laying your ridged sheet down crossways and lightly brayering or hand rolling over it. No real pressure, just let the weight of the roller smooth the surface. Or cover with a sheet of paper and burnish with a credit card, back of a spoon, or your fingers. Be careful because you can "dent" the clay with too much pressure.

To: gilladian  (3 of 9) 
 70728.3 in reply to 70728.2 
Thanks. I will try the rolling with the brayer. I did notice that when I started at #1, then went to thinning settings, then BACK to #1 is when I noticed it the most. When I rolled some clay really thin I didn't see the ridges. I don't know if I like the clay so thin because I really don't like how flexible the cured pieces are. I guess I can double the sheets after they are rolled. I'm learning about this. I am concerned there will be trapped air, but I am rolling the acrylic roller over it without much pressure. I'm happiest with the pendants and earrings that are close to 1/4" thick, but maybe I'm just wasting clay. I'll find my way. Thanks for the advice. :-)

To: betsykins7  (4 of 9) 
 70728.4 in reply to 70728.3 

In combining sheets of clay for thicker layers, yeah, trapped air can be an issue. Lay the top sheet down slowly, from one side to the other, smoothing as you go, to push out the air. And then brayer over it to be sure.

The nice thing with thicker layers is that you can "trap" an eyepin or other finding between the layers. I usually use a smidge of liquid clay or Genesis Thick Medium http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/oil-color-paints-and-mediums/genesis-heat-set-artist-oil-colors-and-mediums/genesis-heat-set-artist-oil-color-mediums.htm

when I want to secure a metal finding in clay. Also, zigzag the length of the eyepin so it can't pull straight back out of the clay.

To: gilladian  (5 of 9) 
 70728.5 in reply to 70728.4 
My clay sheets are still quite small and jagged on the edges. I see all these tutorials where the sheets come out even and rectangular or square. lol, I'm not THERE yet. I don't even know how they do that. Anyway, I will make sure I lay the next layer on from the side instead of from the top middle down, which I've been doing. So much to learn! I've been doing stained glass for 20 years, so this clay thing is a whole different animal. :-)

To: betsykins7  (6 of 9) 
 70728.6 in reply to 70728.5 
It's called TRIMMING after you roll it. Nobody has square sheets right out of the machine. If it looks like they do, they're faking it!

To: gilladian  (7 of 9) 
 70728.7 in reply to 70728.6 
lol, well...that's good to know, because many a picture on the internet shows their piece sitting on the roller square or rectangle. Perhaps they trimmed it, then put it back in. You made me feel better about it. :-)

To: betsykins7  (8 of 9) 
 70728.8 in reply to 70728.1 
Take it back! You shouldn't have flawed rollers out of the box.

As for the square edges coming out of the machine, well, make sure you've thoroughly conditioned your clay - starting at 1 and going up to 5. Most of the conditioning gets done at 4 and 5. You should see those jagged edges disappear. Now that you've mixed in your plasticizer, fold again and place an edge against the side of the machine and roll again. Do this for all four sides, and it will be more or less square, but it probably wasn't worth the trouble. :-)

To: mkirkwag1  (9 of 9) 
 70728.9 in reply to 70728.8 
Oh, ok! I was only rolling in the middle. :-)

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.