Techniques/Lessons/Projects -  Fingerprints (570 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: nancyj50  (4 of 9) 
 70792.4 in reply to 70792.1 

Hi, Nancyj. One good way to get rid of them is let your piece sit for several hours - maybe overnight - or put it in the refrigerator for a bit. Once it's cooled, it will be a bit stiffer. Now finger-polish the heck out of it with the side of your thumb. You can also use anything with a smooth surface to help. I sometimes use glass. Other people use knitting needles and wands of hard plastic. I like my thumb the best. If you don't mind some sparkle, finger polishing with Pearl Ex is very effective. You can also use cornstarch. It should burn off, but I had a bad experience where it didn't, so I don't use it anymore. If all that fails, you can always make lemonade - rub some paint into the whorls and call it texture!

Reply   Options 

To: nancyj50  (5 of 9) 
 70792.5 in reply to 70792.1 

Finger cots are also a good way not to leave fingerprints to start with.

MK ozarks

To: MaryKay71 unread  (6 of 9) 
 70792.6 in reply to 70792.5 

They are, if they fit. I kept mine too long and they all disintegrated! I opened this to see what was up because I just had an annoying experience with fingerprints. It was funny to open this up and see my own advice...which I hadn't followed. 'Cause, you know, I know better...

:-D

To: mkirkwag1  (7 of 9) 
 70792.7 in reply to 70792.6 

Mine disintegrated, too! LOL. (not my fingerprints - those are still going strong).

Jackie

To: DocSarah DelphiPlus Member Icon unread  (8 of 9) 
 70792.8 in reply to 70792.2 

I sometime use this method I rub the clay gently. It seems to rub off the prints at the same time it makes it more shiny! Don't know if it will work for you.

To: All  (9 of 9) 
 70792.9 in reply to 70792.8 

That's what I usually do, too, but there's one caveat if you're like me - let your clay cool off a bit, or at least don't bake it before you've seen it in good light. Some of my most beautifully smoothed and shiny pieces...weren't. Soft clay really fools me sometimes. I really have awful light in the evening and I'm not allowed to bake until morning...but I forget the rules!

First Discussion>>

Navigate this discussion: 1-3 4-9
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.