Polymer Clay Talk -  Bake Shop Clay (637 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: Harriet Russell (HarrietRusse)  (6 of 13) 
 70859.6 in reply to 70859.1 

I have tried the Bake it clay with kids. It's rather musshy.

Same thing with Pluffy . Clay separates instead of staying together when conditionning. Dries fast too .

The kids and I did not like both of them. Not many colours for one thing and the musshyness with kids who have very hot hands is not a good beginning for them. Both clay perfect for filler perfect though.

Earaser clay is another clay that I don't like with kids. It doesn't earase properly. 

Sculpey III seems better  for kids. They only thing it's not good to make sculptures with tiny things that stick out or to make thin plaques. Every small thing breaks too easily even when well cured.

If you want to do things to sell stay away from Sculpey III or the Michaels brand or mix them up with the harder clay like premo, kato, cernit or fimo.

Rule of thumb: you get what you pay for!

Reply   Options 

To: HermineR  (7 of 13) 
 70859.7 in reply to 70859.6 

Thanks!  The filler idea is brilliant. I think you meant it could be mixed in as a softener, but perhaps I could also use it to make big beads, then cover them with thinner layers of "the good stuff".  I always used Kato. But I have to send away for it. Locally I can get Premo and Fimo. I recently bought the wonderful book "Polymer Clay Color Inspirations by Lindly Haunani and Maggie Maggio which begins by having you discover your own color palette. Part of that process is comparing colors from different brands.

To: Harriet Russell (HarrietRuss1)  (8 of 13) 
 70859.8 in reply to 70859.7 

I have really never used as softener. Just as scrap with what the kids would not use.

The fact that there is so few colours doesn't make it as appealing to them. Veneer or as you say thin layers of the good stuff will be more interesting anyway. I love that book also. Kato uses  fushia as a base instead of red. Premo's red or Fimo are as different too to make your basic colours.

Fimo has their own colour mixing guide  Premo has changed their basic colours so it's more a question of mixing your own.

Kato has a too strong odour for my finicky nose.

If you ever have the chance to try Pardo clay do so.  I love it but it's more expensive and harder to find.

Hermine

To: All  (9 of 13) 
 70859.9 in reply to 70859.8 

Sculpey III (and the other clays that appear to be the same thing repackaged) bakes kind of brittle, which is why you don't want it for thin parts that will break.

However, Jeffry Dever makes beautiful (and expensive!!!) jewelry and things from Sculpey III by making intricate armatures. In a workshop, he showed us how to make shapes from index cards or manila folder material, soaking them with superglue, adding wire, covering them with Super Sculpey (a dollmaker clay in flesh tone that bakes pretty hard) then covering that construct with Skinner blends of Sculpey III -- all for a pin that might be a half inch in diameter and three inches long! So you CAN use it if you want to go to lots of trouble to make it behave itself!

Meanwhile back in MY reality, I'd use it for base beads to cover in something prettier. Solid relatively small (1 inch or less?) shapes like round or oval beads, with no "appendages", are pretty safe shapes for the clay.

Sherry Bailey

To: HermineR  (10 of 13) 
 70859.10 in reply to 70859.8 

A lot to know about the different clays! I'll look up the Pardo clay. Thanks HermineR

To: SherryBinNH  (11 of 13) 
 70859.11 in reply to 70859.9 

I think we share that reality, Sherry! But thanks for the story. I'll look him up, too.

To: SherryBinNH  (12 of 13) 
 70859.12 in reply to 70859.9 

I too use S3 a lot.  I really like this clay.  The Michaels clays are not S3 clays.  They are clays mixed to their specs.  I've worked with both of them.  I think they are both like the old Promat clay in texture.

To: synsphotos unread  (13 of 13) 
 70859.13 in reply to 70859.12 

The name Promat rings a bell, but I never tried it. Meanwhile, I'm afraid I returned the Sculpey III sampler and traded it for a Premo sampler. I found and bought some Pardo, and I already had Kato, so now I'm ready to compare them. ...after I clean the yard, fix my garden bed and plant seeds, and make mats for some art work, and clear enough space to work, and find all my tools again...etc. I just hope the clays will still be workable by the time I get to doing anything with them.

First Discussion>>

Navigate this discussion: 1-5 6-13
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.