Polymer Clay Talk -  Breakable stage prop? (182 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 3) 
I'm looking to make a coffee mug like stage prop that can easily break when hit and would crumble more like clay instead of glass.  I also would not want there to be any danger of cutting someone.  Would you think polymer clay would work?  Any tips for the type of clay or bake time to make it so it could be held but easily broken when hit with another real cup like it?

Thank you for any input.

Reply   Options 

To: Ed Kraft (krafthome)  (2 of 3) 
 70939.2 in reply to 70939.1 

Hmmm. I don't know. Breaking on cue isn't that reliable. You could try making a cup from one of the soft clays (Super Sculpey in the box comes to  mind.) I would make it intact, bake it, break it by hand deliberately, then reassemble it with some kind of weak glue so if dropped the glue wouldn't hold. The problem is that just holding it would probably lead to that breakage, and it certainly wouldn't sound right hitting the ground. So I am not sure how to make this work. /sorry.

Sherry Bailey

To: kaydown62  (3 of 3) 
 70939.3 in reply to 70939.1 

Hey Kay - any thoughts/ideas for this one? :)

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.