Techniques/Lessons/Projects -  Seamless pattern on a tube (289 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 5) 

Hiya!

How would you go about putting a seamless pattern (PC fabric sheet) onto a pen tube?

Thanks!

Reply   Options 

From: StarGazer (STARGAZERCA) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/1/15 8:52 PM 
To: lets5Kato  (2 of 5) 
 71041.2 in reply to 71041.1 

There are a number of different ways to do this...   which you choose probably depends on the pattern...  if using clay applied to clay, you could leave part of the sheet near the seam empty of clay slices and then add them after you wrap the clay around the pen barrel and smooth the seam.  that way the clay slices cover the seam...   or, decorate with cane slices after wrapping the clay on the pen tube...   etc.

- providing FREE weekly Polymer Clay Chats & Demos for over 12 Years! 
My Photo Site

To: StarGazer (STARGAZERCA) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 5) 
 71041.3 in reply to 71041.2 

Thanks for the reply Stargazer!. I was thinking about intricate patterns like these.

From: StarGazer (STARGAZERCA) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/1/15 9:27 PM 
To: lets5Kato  (4 of 5) 
 71041.4 in reply to 71041.3 

for those intricate patterns, I would choose the "overlay cane slices" method to cover the seam...

instead of cutting a straight line for the seam, you could cut a wavy line around the bigger flowers and cover the seam with a fresh applique of smaller flowers.

I would probably decorate after applying the base clay to the tube, then I know for sure that all seams are covered... just roll the tube on a flat worksurface to get the added decorative slices smooth... and be sure to cut them very thin to avoid as much distortion as possible... maybe do some practice tubes first to see what works easiest for you... btw, those are very, very purty!!

- providing FREE weekly Polymer Clay Chats & Demos for over 12 Years! 
My Photo Site

To: StarGazer (STARGAZERCA) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 5) 
 71041.5 in reply to 71041.4 

Thank you again. I am very appreciative of your quick reply and informative advice. I will give it a try!

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.