Questions/POLLS/Mentors Topic -  Help with a Roses Necklace (576 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 14) 

I've made all the PC roses, buds and other small flowers and leaves, have all the pearls and crystals, but can't seem to get them all put together to make a necklace.  I've watched videos and read tutorials but none seem to give instructions on how to get the beads strung as a necklace.  I've tried using a length of chain with large links, a double chain of large links and tonight I just gave up on trying to get them all onto a silver wire.  The problem seems to be using a length of very narrow wire to attach the pearls and crystals using the twist method.  I understand the method but it is so difficult getting everything on the chain or thicker wire neatly.  Halfway through it looks like a mess and it takes so long to do.  One tutorial said the designer, after getting everything on to the thick wire, then wraps the entire length of wire with green ribbon and makes knots and uses glue to hold the ends together.  Then she attaches a string of beads on each end to complete the necklace.  This looks very clumsy to me and I would prefer not to use ribbon.  Perhaps the reason ribbon was used is because the underlying wire looks so messy she's trying to hide it.   Does anyone have any better suggestions to putting together a rose necklace?  I do want to use the twist method of getting the pearls and crystals to stand up away from the necklace itself.  Any help would be appreciated.  I'm going nuts.

Pat

Reply   Options 

To: Pat (TRICIART)  (2 of 14) 
 71103.2 in reply to 71103.1 

Here's a link to a necklace I just finished: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gilladian/15748659023/

I'm thinking it is similar to what you are trying to assemble. Each leaf and flower and pearl is strung on a headpin, which is fastened into a wire loop (an open loop, in this case). I was able to slip each loop onto a link of my chain (actually some of my chain's links are long, and I fastened 3 items to each of those links, one item to the in-between, short, links). If the links had been wrapped, I would have used a tiny (4mm, probably) jump ring to assemble each connection.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "twist method" of having the individual pieces stand out. I find they're fine just this way. Hope this helps!

To: gilladian  (3 of 14) 
 71103.3 in reply to 71103.2 

Your necklace is beautiful.  I may have to try again and attach everything to a link chain but I found it so difficult to get everything attached so all the flowers and leaves hang right.

Here is a link to Insou's necklace on Etsy that shows what I'm aiming for and the way the crystals are attached with the "twist" method.  It doesn't show what the roses are attached to but I think it's a heavy wire.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Pat

https://www.etsy.com/listing/178267339/pink-roses-pink-jewelry-set-handmade?ref=sr_gallery_2&ga_search_query=polymer+clay+rose+necklaces&ga_page=24&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_view_type=gallery

To: gilladian  (4 of 14) 
 71103.4 in reply to 71103.2 

Here is another example of the "twist" method.  https://www.etsy.com/listing/97332975/blue-statement-necklace-beaded-wire

Scroll down the page to see a large picture of the necklace.

Pat

From: StarGazer (STARGAZERCA) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host3/7/15 3:54 PM 
To: Pat (TRICIART)  (5 of 14) 
 71103.5 in reply to 71103.4 

It almost looks like the base necklace behind the flowers is something like this:   http://www.fusionbeads.com/Sunrise-Twist-Necklace  There's a PDF that tells how to make the one shown here...   you might need to improvise some to get the look in the links you provided, but this might help a little...

- providing FREE weekly Polymer Clay Chats & Demos for over 12 Years! 
My Photo Site

To: StarGazer (STARGAZERCA) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 14) 
 71103.6 in reply to 71103.5 

Yes, the base is sometimes a thick wire with the thin wire wrapped around it but when I tried to do it (twice) with the roses, leaves and beads it was very difficult and was not neat as that one is.  It came out really messy.

I've since given up on the idea of the beads standing away from the necklace and finished one today just using the flowers and the beads individually attached to a chain.  It isn't my original plan but it's passable.  I'll probably keep this one for myself and try to make better ones to sell.

One thing I did learn from this experience is that my leaves were only textured on one side and after the necklace is made they tend to flop around and several of the leaves show the untextured side.  That would be too annoying for a customer to have to constantly make sure the textured side was facing up, so I have to either texture both sides of the leaves or make a leaf cane.  I eliminated the leaves altogether in the necklace I finished today.

When I get it photographed I'll post it.

Thanks for all your help.

Pat

To: Pat (TRICIART)  (7 of 14) 
 71103.7 in reply to 71103.6 

Your examples are lovely? It seems to me that it would take a lot of practice to get smooth, even branches.

Yes, if you're going to use leaves, I suggest a cane. That's what I used in my necklace.

To: gilladian  (8 of 14) 
 71103.8 in reply to 71103.7 

I finished the necklace last night and here's a link to my new Flicker Photostream.  I would up using a silver chain afterall.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129127272@N05/

To: Pat (TRICIART)  (9 of 14) 
 71103.9 in reply to 71103.8 
  • Edited March 8, 2015 3:29 pm  by  Melody01

To: Pat (TRICIART)  (10 of 14) 
 71103.10 in reply to 71103.8 
Lovely! I think silver is perfect with it.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-14
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.