Questions/POLLS/Mentors Topic -  can poly clay be crushed in vulcanizer? (239 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 5) 

I'm looking for a medium (material) that can easily be molded in order to make metal copies in a spin caster.

If I make simple flat (ish) designs; I'm wondering if ployclay is it.

Reply   Options 

To: Samuel Bilow (SamuelBilow)  (2 of 5) 
 71143.2 in reply to 71143.1 

I'm guessing that you are into something more techie than we are accustomed to, so I don't know that anybody here can answer that... (What is a "vulcanizer"?)

Polymer clay is easy to mold or model, and can be baked to a certain degree of hardness in a 260-300 degree F oven. However, it's pretty soft even baked, by mineralogist standards. (Easily carved like soft wood.) It can be crushed depending on thickness and how hard you try.

I hope that gives you an idea of an answer!

Sherry Bailey

To: SherryBinNH  (3 of 5) 
 71143.3 in reply to 71143.2 

a vulcanizer is a machine like a vice with heating plates on the top and bottom. Just google it

there is too kinds one that is for gold and silver and another for pot metal; zinc and pewter (maybe some aluminum but I don't do that).

I want to do the second kind, even though i own both machines. I'm using 9inch rubber disks for spin casting.

instead of 3d printing an object (and maybe electroplating it) it would be easier to mold it from polyclay. I know this stuffs harder than pottery clay.

what I will try is pressing out some letters with the playdow child's toy set in polyclay put it on a 9/16 piece of ploy clay make it look like a Texas belt buckle then kiln it; maybe glaze it for extra strength.

because of the simple shape I think it's worth a go. I wouldn't try anything to small with tiny protruding parts although the hook that goes into the hole in belt is exactly that.

Whether it works or not I will try to answer my own question in the form so that some other people will know if it can be done.

making stuff in autocad and then 3d printing it (in wax and cast in investment or print solid form) is much better than doing it with cnc but if this method works it will be the easyist way ever.

To: Samuel Bilow (SamuelBilow)  (4 of 5) 
 71143.4 in reply to 71143.3 

Polymer clay is definitely NOT "harder than pottery clay" -- at least if you are talking about the fully cured version of both. Polymer clay (baked or raw)  is harder than RAW pottery clay, fresh or dry, but not fired.  So it depends on what you are talking about.

However, just so you know, this forum is for polymer clay artists who make jewelry and other things directly from polymer clay. We are not chemists and rarely use polymer clay as a step to another process, so we probably won't be a ton of help. (And I'm going to be totally honest and say I don't actually care enough about vulcanizers to Google them -- I was only making the point that the reference to them in your post was mysterious to me and probably to most readers of this forum, suggesting a mismatch in using PCC as a resource.) (If vulcanizers heat up, you should know that polymer clay burns at 300 degrees and some believe at higher temperatures it can release small amounts of cyanide gas. I don't know that it's true, but it's not going to be GOOD for the clay or for you.)

In my dim and distant past, I have done lost wax casting, and if what you have in mind is a similar burnout effect, I wouldn't use polymer clay. Also, Play-Doh presses are usually plastic and polymer clay has to be VERY softened to not break them.

Good luck with your experiments.

Sherry Bailey

To: SherryBinNH  (5 of 5) 
 71143.5 in reply to 71143.4 

WHAT! -cyanide gas, -NOT "harder than pottery clay", - burns at 300 degrees

Wow this was not what I was looking for and thank you so much for telling me. This was a wrong ( and possibly fatal ) move for me.

I did find what I was looking for and I simply misheard the person; its PMC clay. I strongly suggest anybody doing clay jewelry look in to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_clay

well I'm done, thanks so much for replying to my question, and warning me about the cyanide gas. goodbye.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.