Questions/POLLS/Mentors Topic -  Gold chain for necklaces (255 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: Pat (TRICIART)  (2 of 5) 
 71170.2 in reply to 71170.1 

Silver tarnishes, even fine (pure) silver. (Real) gold does not. A high grade (say over 10K) gold plate or filled chain, until the gold wears off a bit, should stay bright, apart from dirt/body oils/etc. All other metals tarnish as well, as far as I know. (That is one of the many reasons gold, platinum, etc. are valuable.)

However, body chemistry varies, and some people have more acidic sweat, which wears the finish faster.

I don't buy special chains new at this time, so can't offer a source apart from Rio Grande or Fire Mountain, the two places where I sometimes get quality jewelry materials. But if you can't afford gold-filled, which tend to be the cheapest of the options, maybe you aren't going to find anything there.

Sherry Bailey

Reply   Options 

To: SherryBinNH  (3 of 5) 
 71170.3 in reply to 71170.2 

Thanks Sherry,       So basically there is nothing in between the cheaper chains purchased at craft shops and the more expensive sterling or gold filled that have a finish that won't darken from body oils/skin.   When I buy a necklace in a department store or even earrings, they seem to be made of a metal that doesn't lose its color over time.  I wonder what material they are made of. 

Thanks again,

Pat

To: Pat (TRICIART)  (4 of 5) 
 71170.4 in reply to 71170.3 

I wonder,  too!  ;^)  (I do know that I sold some gold and silver recently to one of those "Cash for Gold" places. The chains I wondered about that looked good were all magnetic, meaning probably steel links plated with something. But I don't know what.)

Just had an idea. You could go to the Rio Grande or Fire Mountain web sites and look for non-tarnish chains, and see what they offer. (Or even just Google it.)

Like I said, I don't shop for them, so I really have no idea. The ones I  have acquired come from thrift stores and flea markets, and no information comes with those purchases... I just have rudimentary information about actual gold and silver.

Sherry Bailey

To: SherryBinNH  (5 of 5) 
 71170.5 in reply to 71170.4 

Thanks Sherri:

I've been buying my chains at Michael's or AC Moore or JoAnn's and they all have some kind of plating, either silver or gold color.  But when I wear the necklaces I made for myself the chains and clasps turn dark from skin/chemicals or whatever. I just can't afford to buy gold filled or sterling for the kind of necklaces I make for sale without charging enormous prices for them.  I'll keep looking.

Pat          https://www.etsy.com/shop/polymerpanache

First Discussion>>

Navigate this discussion: 1 2-5
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.