Polymer Clay Talk -  Is it alright to use my clay microwave? (355 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: Apple Aviles (AppleAviles)  (2 of 7) 
 71176.2 in reply to 71176.1 

Unless your oven is a combination microwave/regular oven or combination microwave/convection oven and you use it on those other settings, no, you can't cure polymer clay in a microwave oven. Not for health reasons but because microwaving doesn't work to cure clay.

You CAN bake clay in a food oven, but if you do a lot of it, you will find that baking the clay vaporized oils that can build up on the oven walls so you will want to clean it more often. This stuff is more messy than dangerous.

I prefer a small countertop convection oven (mine cost $100 years ago, still going strong) and I only use it for clay. I find it more convenient, cheaper than using the "big" oven for my small projects, and I don't have to clean it. But if I wanted to bake a cookie-sheet sized veneer, for instance, I would use my food oven. I think I would put foil over it to reduce the off-gassing in the big oven, though.

If you want to play it extra safe, many people bake in their home ovens in foil broiler pans tented with foil to create a "sealed" container within the actual oven. So that's an option, too.

Sherry Bailey

Reply   Options 

To: Apple Aviles (AppleAviles)  (3 of 7) 
 71176.3 in reply to 71176.1 

If you have a convection/microwave oven, you can bake clay in it by using the convection setting. Many motor homes have this kind of oven and I have been baking in ours (using the convection setting) for five years with very good results. 

Clay is non-toxic; I've been using it since 1982 with no problems so rest easy to use it. 

To: Claylady43 (Penni_Jo)  (4 of 7) 
 71176.4 in reply to 71176.3 

I've been waiting for a reply on this post. Thank you so much Penni! :D Now I won't worry using it to bake clays and food as well.

To: Apple Aviles (AppleAviles)  (5 of 7) 
 71176.5 in reply to 71176.4 

You're welcome! It is by sharing that we all grow.

To: Apple Aviles (AppleAviles)  (6 of 7) 
 71176.6 in reply to 71176.2 

There was something posted years ago about cooking clay in a microwave. It was done in water. The results were so-so, but if that's what you're trying to do, I would say that it would be safe enough to use with food. The deal with the fumes is that they collect on the oven and over 400 degrees, they're toxic. So with a home oven, they next time you cook at 400 degrees, you start burning off toxic fumes. It won't kill you or even send you to the hospital; it's like pollution - it's just adds to your life load of toxins. The sides of the microwave don't heat up, so you shouldn't have that problem. I'd still wipe it down.

Sherry's advice is good. My most expensive purchase was a convection toaster oven from Craig's list for $35. I actually tried to spend more on one, but couldn't find one that didn't spike (you want consistent heat). I ended up with a B&D convection toaster oven, used, instead of an expensive new one and it works fine. Not as well as my old $20 one, but c'est la vie.

To: mkirkwag1  (7 of 7) 
 71176.7 in reply to 71176.6 

Thank you for this additional info. I really appreciate it. :D

First Discussion>>

Navigate this discussion: 1 2-7
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.