Polymer Clay Talk -  Working on large pieces over time (391 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: lynnebulmer  (6 of 12) 
 71213.6 in reply to 71213.1 

And post a picture when you finish!

Reply   Options 

To: SherryBinNH unread  (7 of 12) 
 71213.7 in reply to 71213.2 

I am making a dog and it has taken forever to place the type of hair that I am applying on it.  I made the mistake of not baking or protecting it until the right paw fell off.  I pushed it back together but not sure that is going to be enough.  Would it make sense to keep the project in an air tight seal bag to prevent further damage?  Thanks

To: mst01  (8 of 12) 
 71213.8 in reply to 71213.7 

I would suggest you check your oven temperature.  You might be baking at a higher temp than you think.  Use a probe-type thermometer, the kind with the readout unit that is outside the oven.  First, calibrate your thermometer.  Boil a pot of water and place the probe in the briskly boiling water.  It should read 212 F / 100C unless you live at a very high altitude such as Denver.  If it doesn't, you can still use it - you just have to adjust.  For example, if your thermometer reads 215 in the water, you know you have to add 3 degrees to the reading to get the actual temperature.

Now place the calibrated probe on your preferred baking surface in the cold oven and turn it on.  Use a timer and write down the temp. every 2 minutes for at least 30 min.  You need to know how your oven behaves.  I find my oven will overheat by at least 20 degrees during preheating.  Once it gets stable, it only varies by 5 degrees, but it runs  too hot.  I have to set it at 253 to get a 275 temperature.  If temp fluctuations are a problem, try putting the probe inside a large lidded heavy aluminum pot inside the oven and checking the temp profile that way.  that will give you much fewer fluctuations, so you just bake your pieces inside the pot. Some people bury their pieces in baking soda to bake.  I haven't tried that.  - Beth

To: bethcurran  (9 of 12) 
 71213.9 in reply to 71213.8 

Thanks so much for all your replies - I'm not quite ready to get stuck into my project yet, I was being very forward thinking in planning it all out right down to the final detail, but when I do, I will keep you up to date!

To: All  (10 of 12) 
 71213.10 in reply to 71213.8 

Sheesh, my lesson for today is, don't post on PCC when I'm tanked on cold medicine.....If in the boiling water (212 F) your thermometer reads 215 F, you need to SUBTRACT 3 degrees from the temperature your thermometer reads to get the actual temperature.

My oven is at least 15 degrees hotter than the readout on the oven says it is - so when the oven readout says it's at 275, it actually is at about 290.  I use Fimo Soft, and its the white darkens a bit at 275, I bake at 265 actual temperature - which is 255 setting on my oven. - Beth

To: mst01  (11 of 12) 
 71213.11 in reply to 71213.7 

The air tight seal is not going to help with polymer clay as it doesn't have water in it so it doesn't really dry out unless it gets too warm. The bag, though, might keep dust from attaching itself to your clay.

Jackie

To: 7Jackie DelphiPlus Member Icon  (12 of 12) 
 71213.12 in reply to 71213.11 

Thank you for your answer!

First Discussion>>

Navigate this discussion: 1-5 6-12
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.