Polymer Clay Talk -  Finger prints (219 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 7) 
Hi all! I'm new to the forums and i have some questions. Ive been working with clay consistantly for maybe 6 months. Ive worked with it before, but only now have made it part of my shop's product line. I've been using sculpey III for the most part and i also have some fimo i just got but its crumbly, so i have to soften it when I'm ready to use it, but i was wondering how you all get fingerprints out of your pieces when you're ready to bake it? Ive seen people use clay softener but wonder if it works

Reply   Options 

To: KawaiiDragn  (2 of 7) 
 71298.2 in reply to 71298.1 

Ive never really had that problem but i have heard others mention wearing gloves or finger cots to avoid prints. If i get any i just sort of stroke them away. Sanding takes care of them too. Hope that helps some.

What do you make? I imagine sculpting would get prints that would be more noticeable.

Susan

To: aramina5 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 7) 
 71298.3 in reply to 71298.2 
I make masters to mold for resin, charms as well as bases for my pendants. Mostly kawaii charms, pokemon, legend of zelda, etc

To: KawaiiDragn unread  (4 of 7) 
 71298.4 in reply to 71298.3 
Oh yeah...they would need to be "just right". Hopefully someone with more experience than me will chime in!

To: KawaiiDragn  (5 of 7) 
 71298.5 in reply to 71298.1 

Well, Sculpey III clay is very soft before baking, and very brittle after baking, so it's not always the best choice for avoiding fingerprints. You could try Premo or Kato clay. Kato clay is more difficult to condition, Premo is softer, in fact, lately it's been very soft. Fimo Soft clay takes fingerprints like nothing I ever saw, so that's not a good choice. The Fimo Professional is a very hard clay, so it and Kato are very good for making canes. Hope this helps!

Jackie

To: 7Jackie DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 7) 
 71298.6 in reply to 71298.5 
Yeah, i use fimo too. Its all crumbly and brittle, so I have to condition it before I can use it. I sculpt charms and figures

To: KawaiiDragn unread  (7 of 7) 
 71298.7 in reply to 71298.6 

Actually, with ANY polymer clay, you need to condition it BEFORE using it.  The only exception is the translucent clay, which you don't want to work too much before using.  

I have found that I take the color I want to use...and add a tiny amount of white (like a small pea size ball) and blend until there is no white left...then I KNOW it is conditioned.

Conditioning is needed whether you use Premo, Fimo (Soft or Professional), Kato, Cernit, or Pardo...

This link talks about conditioning... http://www.polymertutorials.com/catalog/polymer-clay-condition-tutorial.php

Jodie in AZ

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.