Questions/POLLS/Mentors Topic -  CZExtruder - the XXL model - QUESTIONS! (878 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 18) 

Eva, I hope you see this soon. I think you mentioned that you have the CZExtruder, is that true? If so, do you have the smaller one or the XXL one?

I am asking because I'm doing research on whether it would be good for me - the main need that I have that I can't get from my Makins extruder is that I want to extrude much longer extrusions than the Makins gives me. I thought about looking at the Polymer Clay Express extruder, so I went to their site, but there is basically no information there other than photos and prices, so I came back to the idea of the Lucy extruder.

I watched some videos, and thought the XXL barrel is not that much more than the Makins barrel, maybe just a little. Then I watched a video by the lady whose name we cannot write here, the initials are C.L., and she said it holds more, but then she was holding a Makins and a CZ together and I wasn't seeing too much a difference.

So, if you, or anybody, can talk to me about this, I'd sure appreciate it! I asked some questions of the Canadian lady who sells them on Etsy, but have not heard back yet. Since Canada is having a huge postal strike right now, it may be impossible to get one from her, I'm not sure.

All help appreciated! Thanks!

Jackie

Reply   Options 

From: Eva (mejsel) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/30/16 6:56 AM 
To: 7Jackie DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 18) 
 71313.2 in reply to 71313.1 

Jackie - I have the smaller of the Czextruders and you certainly wouldn't get longer extrusions from that one. The XXL is 8" so that makes it 2½" longer than my Makin's. Apart from being longer it is also much stronger and can extrude with the help of a power drill. I use a vise to hold the extruder which makes it easier on my hands, and I believe the extruder, too. 
It's my opinion that the XXL is the better buy for you, in spite of the [OMG!] price. Don't forget to add the risk of having to pay import taxes and fees on top of the purchase price if you order from the Lucy Store.

Good luck! 

EVA

www.everclay.dk/

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
TRY, TRY AGAIN....

MY BLOGSPOT

MY ETSY

To: Eva (mejsel) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 18) 
 71313.3 in reply to 71313.2 

Thank you, Eva! I've been talking to Diane at VanIslandJewels on Etsy about ordering one. Now I have to find out the cost of ordering it from Czech Republic. Her shipping cost is steep, and she is in Canada, they are having or about to have a postal strike, so I'm hesitating about ordering it from her for that reason as well. But, she's going to check the price of FedEx delivery for me, so we'll see. She's very helpful, and so far I haven't been impressed with the customer service from Lucy Tools at all.

So you use the Lucy tools holder for yours, or a separate vise? I don't know if this is a sensible purchase for me... but I'm hoping it will be. I'm sort of hesitating, just feel like the cost is sooooo much!

Thanks again,

Jackie

From: Eva (mejsel) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/30/16 9:12 PM 
To: 7Jackie DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 18) 
 71313.4 in reply to 71313.3 

Jackie - if you go through the first motions of ordering the czextruder on the US website http://www.lucyclaystore.com/usa/ you can see how much the shipping is - if you don't like what you see just empty your cart again. No harm done and you'll be wiser. I believe they use DHL Express for shipping to the US - but they use FedEx for Denmark. 
The shipping to Denmark is FAAASSST? - a couple days, so at least they get it out from the shop in a hurry. I bet shipping is faster than from Canada!! As far as I can see, Diane only carries the XXL Czextruder All-in-one, with all the disks, the vise and board included. You don't necessarily need all the disks, nor do you need the board and vise, so if you only buy the extruder you get that with lubricant, cleaner brush and hex bit for about $90. There will still be money left for the disks you want (keep in mind that the dies you have for the Makin's also fit in the Czextruder).

I use a regular vise on a suction cup that I can attach to my table when I need it. The vise has rubber 'buffers' so it does not damage the extruder when it's fastened, but a leather strap or something similar would be just as good. 

Happy huntin'.

EVA

www.everclay.dk/

TRY, TRY AGAIN....

MY BLOGSPOT

MY ETSY

To: Eva (mejsel) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 18) 
 71313.5 in reply to 71313.4 

Eva, thank you for these great thoughts as well as the link! So tell me, your comparison of the Lucy to the Makins? Besides the amount of extrusion... is it better, stronger, faster, easier? (I obviously have never used a drill to extrude before, but I admit I'd be nervous about blowing out the tool sooner by using one.)

I appreciate your help.

Jackie

From: Eva (mejsel) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host7/1/16 12:30 PM 
To: 7Jackie DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 18) 
 71313.6 in reply to 71313.5 

You are so very welcome.

Lucy's is definitely stronger (it's made of steel, not aluminum). it's faster and easier extruding with the power drill - even hand cranking is faster and easier because the handle is formed like the handle of your pasta machine. Can you tell, I like my Czextruder?

?About blowing out the tool - don't worry. The Czextruder is made for it. In fact, there is an adapter for the Makin's extruder so you can use a power drill for that one also. Here's a link: http://www.kazuriwest.com/craft-tools/global-studio-tools/5789
Cynthia Tinapple also made a video showing how she uses it: https://vimeo.com/11508901
It also shows the type of vise that I use except hers is c-clamped to the table not with a suction cup like mine. Using the Lucy board and vise seems impractical if you want to use the hand crank - you'd have to have the board on the edge of your table to have room for cranking.

All in all there are pros and cons to both extruders, but I'll recommend the Czextruder any time.

EVA

www.everclay.dk/

TRY, TRY AGAIN....

MY BLOGSPOT

MY ETSY

To: Eva (mejsel) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 18) 
 71313.7 in reply to 71313.6 

I'v been TORN about what to do about getting this extruder! Still in the thinking stages, although when I first brought it up I was ready to go. I will let you know what I decide. :)

Jackie

To: 7Jackie DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 18) 
 71313.8 in reply to 71313.7 

I used mine for the first time tonight. It's awesome! I have the shorter barrel and it will likely suit my needs. I work in small batches usually.

The assortment of disc designs is almost overwhelming. So many options , I could probably spend days with graph paper doodling ideas!

There is a significant quality difference of this CZExtruder compared to the stuff available at the craft stores. I wore out three of them in a very short time. The power drill option is the real clincher for why this is the best choice. Happy hands!

Good luck whatever you decide!

From: Eva (mejsel) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host7/16/16 7:01 AM 
To: amyfb  (9 of 18) 
 71313.9 in reply to 71313.8 

Amy - the website issuu.com features the PDF files that Lucy Clay published with several patterns made with the disks. Patterns from disks #3 - #10 are available both in color and as coloring books. Here's a direct link to the Lucy Clay Tools: https://issuu.com/lctools

?You don't have to sign up to see the patterns, but if you do (it's free) you'll be able to download the PDF files to your computer (for free). I love freebies!

EVA

www.everclay.dk/

TRY, TRY AGAIN....

MY BLOGSPOT

MY ETSY

To: Eva (mejsel) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 18) 
 71313.10 in reply to 71313.9 

Eva , that is a great resource for ideas to use with the extruded shapes. Thanks for sharing it. Amyfb

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-18
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.