Questions/POLLS/Mentors Topic -  What glue for tiles on wood that are... (916 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: Ladyartist05  (9 of 12) 
 71359.9 in reply to 71359.8 

I love Varathane.  The glossy type I often use on pendants and buttons kept its shine through many sessions in the washing machine when I kept forgetting to remove a little brooch that makes the neckline on one of my dresses more modest.  Now I no longer bother to try to remember; if I do notice the brooch when preparing the laundry, I just pop that garment into one of those net bags.  But even that probably isn't necessary.

Reply   Options 

To: JNyago  (10 of 12) 
 71359.10 in reply to 71359.9 

Cool!  Good to know, as I may not have washed anything yet, except my fitbit.  LOL

To: Ladyartist05  (11 of 12) 
 71359.11 in reply to 71359.10 

IMPORTANT STEP: I should have mentioned that for brooches, I not only stick the pin on the back of the brooch using Zap-a-Gap or some other instant glue, but also, after the glue sets, I use Kato Polypaste to apply a thin piece of suitably-colored clay over both the base of the pin and a bit of the back of the brooch on both sides of the pin, pushing it a bit into the three holes (in the case of the kind of pin backs I get from FireMountain Gems) on the flat part of the metal pin, and then bake once more.   After which I apply the Varathane.  Having spent enough time trying to get the photo onto the clay (often some pieces have to be discarded), I never want to lose a brooch just because the pin on the back has become detached.  The Polypaste is necessary, because without special help, it is impossible to bake a piece of raw clay onto a piece of clay that has already been baked, and I believe most glues cannot be trusted to hold well under baking, hence my addition of a new piece of clay to be baked on.  Kato Liquid Polymer Clay will work for this purpose with some things that do not get any stress, but I would not trust anything but the much thicker Polypaste to hold the pin on a brooch.  I got this idea from someone else's post somewhere--most likely not here--and I wish I could remember who, so that I could give them credit.

To: JNyago unread  (12 of 12) 
 71359.12 in reply to 71359.11 

all best practice steps.  Glad you are being careful to make it secure.

First Discussion>>

Navigate this discussion: 1-8 9-12
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.