Polymer Clay Talk -  Oven/thermometer frustration (391 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 7) 

Every now and then I forget why I got frustrated enough to mostly give up claying, wander into my cube, make  bunch of stuff and wreck it in the oven.

I had a low-level toaster oven that I bought via Craig's List for 20 bucks and it worked perfectly for years. When it died, I bought one of same brand. No good; returned it. Bought one with excellent reviews. No good; returned it. Bought a roaster. No good, stuck with it. Bought a Black & Decker convection toaster oven and thought it was ok until it started burning pieces. I usually bake outside, so I blamed not adjusting the temperature properly to account for the weather. Put the oven thermometer in. According to the thermometer, it never go past 200 degrees. Tried pre-heating, all kind of stuff. Blamed the thermometer, bought a new Farberware thermometer. Now, the old one says 290, the new one says 210 and pieces burn.

Is there a source of truth out there anywhere? Do I have to experiment with not burning white clay and call that good?

Reply   Options 

To: mkirkwag1  (2 of 7) 
 71362.2 in reply to 71362.1 

I use a convection oven.  I use it inside in the basement.  So far it has been good.  I am unable to get the temperature at the exact 275 degrees, but it gets close enough. 

To: mkirkwag1  (3 of 7) 
 71362.3 in reply to 71362.1 

Try calibrating your thermometer.  Boil some water on the stove, and when it's briskly boiling, put your thermometer in and see if it reads 212 F.  (If you live at very high altitude, the water will boil at a slightly lower temperature, so you'd need to look that up.)  If it doesn't, you can still use it, but you need to make a temperature adjustment.  For instance, if your thermometer reads 200 F in boiling water, then you know the actual oven temperature is 12 degrees higher than your thermometer says, so you'd adjust your oven temperature until the thermometer reads 263 F, and then you'd know the actual temperature in the oven is 263 + 12 = 275 F.

I also cover my clay with a foil tent, bake on a pizza stone to provide a more even temperature, and preheat the oven to avoid temperature spikes.  HTH - Beth

To: bethcurran  (4 of 7) 
 71362.4 in reply to 71362.3 

Good idea, Beth. I feel a little uncertain about putting an over thermometer in boiling water. They don't appear to be sealed. Have you done it?

I do all those things to account for spikes. The real issue is not being about to find out what the temperature really is, so if it's safe to test the thermometer, I'll do it. I will say that they're both extremely slow to respond to changes in temperature, so it could be a grueling activity!

Message 5 of 7 was Deleted  

To: mkirkwag1 unread  (6 of 7) 
 71362.6 in reply to 71362.4 

I use a probe-type thermometer, made to be inserted in meat, so I know it's water-tight.  But if you have one of those sits-on-the-shelf types, I'm not sure if that would be.

To: mst01  (7 of 7) 
 71362.7 in reply to 71362.2 

i spent a small fortune for a Breville brand counter top sized convection oven that holds a constant steady temp. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=convection+oven&ia=products&iai=B00XBOXVIAhttp%3A%2F%2Fecx.images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F41d-dfKE33L.jpghttp%3A%2F%2Fecx.images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F41d-dfKE33L._SL160_.jpg

there wasn't a single one for less money that ever worked more than twice before it went wonky.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.