Questions/POLLS/Mentors Topic -  Tips and Tricks (338 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 5) 

Hello everyone!!! I started working with polymer clay a few months ago. I've never been good at anything artistic that I've tried over many years but I have finally found something that I'm decent at and not to mention LOVE doing!! I know I'm nowhere near the best but I can already see such improvement in myself every time I make a piece. I'm still learning SO much but I'm loving all of it. I'm also new to this site so I'm not exactly sure how to do anything here yet lol but I wanted to see if there were any tips or pointers anyone had to offer? Like maybe the top 5 things you wish you knew when starting out? Or just a trick that you use often that saves you time or sanity lol? Anything that anyone has to offer is so greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance! Looking forward to having an awesome group of friends to chat with about polymer clay!!!

-Meagan

Reply   Options 

From: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/2/17 8:03 PM 
To: Meagan414 unread  (2 of 5) 
 71382.2 in reply to 71382.1 

well Meagan, there must be a gazillion things we all wish we knew when we first got started, but you will find them one at a time while you learn.  one thing is that you dont need a ton of tools at first,your hands do almost all the work. never be disappointed in something because you can always turn it into something else that is twise as good. the more you learn, the more you learn.  there are many happy accidents and if the clay is too hard stick it into your bra for 20 minutes or so and it will soften right up.

tools  a large rolling pin one out of marble if you can find one.  if you have the money a pasta machine.

something to cut with, a single sided blade , some kind of blade, Best is a surgical tissue blade. if you can get it the clay sections of the craft shows have packages of blades.

something to put your pieces on to bake with and a thermometer for the oven

Im guessing these are the best firsts to have.

then learn a skinner blend and you are halfway there.

SincereLEIGH,
meigh

My Etsy Store - DaystarWorkshop
My Personal WebsiteSincereLeigh.com

To: Meagan414 unread  (3 of 5) 
 71382.3 in reply to 71382.1 

Hi Megan,

I was just as excited as you when I was introduced to polymer clay a few years ago.

My five top tips for you:

1. work on a piece of tempered glass that is on top of a craft cutting mat that has a grid. The glass easier to work on and the grid helps keep sizes where you want them.

2. cookie cutters, kemper cutters, cutters of all shapes and sizes - these have become my best friends and I can't stop buying them.

3. cheap broiler pans from the dollar store make a perfect tray with another as a lid to keep your pretties from scorching while they bake.

4. wax paper for wrapping unbaked stuff in process; parchment paper for baking will eliminate the shine from contact with aluminum pans.

5. more tissue blades please.

look forward to seeing some photos of your stuff!

To: Meagan414 unread  (4 of 5) 
 71382.4 in reply to 71382.1 

To: Meagan414 unread  (5 of 5) 
 71382.5 in reply to 71382.1 

Hi Meagan,

When I fell in love with Fimo back in '82, I had a sheet of tempered glass (probably left over from a previous project), a round skewer (sometimes just a toothpick), a razor blade, scraps of sand paper and some clay. There were no books but I learned from some of the ladies at the miniature club I had joined. I also had some left over ceramic tiles, some broken, some very small on which I sculpted tiny items for doll houses and 1/12th scale room boxes.

For seven years I made 1/12th scale miniatures, did little local shows and when I sold something (after jumping around doing the happy dance) promptly started making another one, be it a tiny doll, sleeping baby, tiny frame, tiny decoration, tiny wall hanging, etc. The more I made, the better I got. And, because first my friends and then folks at the little shows bought stuff, I was encouraged to make more. and more... and even more.

Some things that I have learned...

First, do what you love. I loved teddy bears, cute things, Victorian things and people. Over the years one's fingers will learn what's needed to be done to make what you see in your mind's eye.

Some of my tricks:

Always work on a tile not very much bigger than the bottom of what you are making. If making a tiny doll house scale teddy bear the clay body and legs might be seated on a piece of broken tile that was .75" across at the widest point. (To make broken ceramic or porcelain tiles safe to use, sand the broken edges until smooth.) It is much easier to use the point of a tool if there is very little baking surface under it.

If you need to lift your work, slide a razor blade or tissue blade under it to lift. This will avoid distortion.

Need something to do....? I used wire, brass sheets and other things to fabricate tools for... Textures, marks, 'stitches', etc. Poke your clay with lots of things, pens, scouring pad, sand paper, ball of yarn, anything, you might be so surprised to see what lovely patterns are created using simple items.

Most importantly, don't worry about any required tools, there aren't any, just have fun.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.