Yes, those are two of the tins I made for presents, thanks. I get my Varathane at the Home Depot and generally keep a small amount of it in use in a baby food jar or the like, so as not to risk "contaminating" the entire container in some way. My last can of glossy disappointed me by developing "rust" around the edges of the opening (some of which dropped down into the liquid and had to be removed) after I had not used it for a long time, and I am hoping that will not happen with the satin finish (semi-gloss). Once on, Varathane seems to be a very durable finish. I have it on brooches and earrings that I have been wearing for several years, and they still look good. A couple of the brooches got accidentally put through the washing machine and they emerged from the experience unchanged. I had one small brooch with a dog picture on it that I always wore at the neck of a certain dress, but had a diagonal pin on the back so it was very hard to put on straight. After seeing how well the Varathane held up, I took to washing that dress in a protective laundry bag with the brooch still on it, and now, after dozens of washings, the brooch still has its shine.
I don't know how much you want to know about covering tins, but I really enjoy doing it myself, so here goes:
Apply the raw clay in this order: Flat bottom, entire top part of tin, sides of bottom part of tin (all with one strip of clay)
It would be almost impossible to apply clay all over a tin and just do one baking because while the clay is raw, you tend to leave fingerprints on one part as you apply the next. So I apply gold clay to the bottom of the tin first, stamp it with my claying name, Jannyan, and inscribe or stamp a few other decorations on it, and cut off any surplus using a sharp craft knife or one of the long surgical blades I use for cutting blocks of clay, and then bake. Those cut edges get covered in practically the last step, when I smooth a narrow strip of clay all around the bottom part of the tin.
But before covering the side part of the tin bottom, I cover the entire top with one sheet of clay, laying the tin on it upside-down and cutting a rough shape for the top, large enough so that when I smooth out the clay by degrees, using my hands, encouraging it to come down over the corners (which of course thins the clay there, so it has to be thick enough to begin with) and covers the sides of the top as well as the actual top. Then I cut off the excess, either letting the clay cover the rolled rim on the edge of the cover, or trimming it just short of the rim so the rim shows. In general, I prefer not to let the rim show. If I am going to inset an already-baked picture that I have transferred to a sheet of light-colored clay (usually white or pearl), I lay it on the raw clay top, cut around it, remove the raw clay underneath it, insert the picture and try to smooth the clay of the top around it so as to fill in any tiny spaces. This can be tricky, and I don't know how many times I have left fingerprints in the process and had to smooth them out! Then bake. A few small cuts may be needed around the hinges if the clay impedes the cover from opening fully.
If I need to apply any more clay to an already baked part, such as thin strips to cover boo-boo spaces around an inset picture after it has been baked into the clay cover, I dab a bit of Kato liquid clay on the baked surface so the new raw clay parts adhere better. I also dab the liquid clay around the cut edges of the baked bottom clay before applying the strip of clay around the sides.
The clay tends to stick to the tin without any special treatment other than baking. Once in a while, a "top" will come off under the stress of my working on some other part, but it is easily replaced. If I am working with a flat card case or something that has no clay brought down over the sides, I stick the errant clay back on with some instant glue. With this batch, as it happens, in my haste, I made the whole top of one tin with the picture upside down, and was very happy when I was able to pry the entire top clay cover off and replace it in the right orientation.
There may be things in these directions that could be improved upon. I learned by hit-or-miss when covering tins for a swap at City-o-Clay.