Welcome/Sign In Here -  New to the forum (154 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe
To: All  (1 of 4) 

I am new to this forum and new to polymer clay!!!!!! I am mostly interested in clay mixing recipes/tips and tricks!!!!!! I would like to use what I learn here for making miniatures specifically dollhouse miniatures! I look forward to learning everything that I can!!!!!

Reply   Options 

To: anola2007  (2 of 4) 
 71426.2 in reply to 71426.1 

I want to welcome you, having registered years ago, although I have not been posting here much until quite recently.   For years, my main claying home was City of Clay, where I learned a lot; but the people there decided to move to Facebook, which I once joined, disliked, and left, so I became something of an orphan and for various personal reasons did little claying for a few years.  Now I am enjoying Polymer Clay Central, but finding it a little hard to get used to the format.  There is a lot of information here, though, and you should feel free to ask any questions.  In the past, I have found some very useful posts here, and once in a while, I am happy to find that I can "pay it forward" to someone else.

Doll house miniatures!  I am an old lady now, but anything to do with dolls--especially creating wardrobes for them--or doll houses (I have made and furnished a few), still fascinates me.  I hope you will be posting pictures of some of your creations.  I do not make miniatures now, myself, but I often think how great it would have been if only I had known about polymer clay back in the days when I was furnishing doll houses.  It would have been so much easier to make kitchen stoves, toilets, and sinks, not to mention vases and "wooden" furnishings.

Have you bought any good books on polymer clay?  I happen to love making imitations of various natural materials such as bone, ivory, metals, and semi-precious stones, and some of those faux materials might be useful when you are making miniature objects.  When it comes to creating "faux" materials, the books Creative Ways with Polymer Clay by Dotty McMillan and Faux Surfaces in Polymer Clay by Irene Semanchuk Dean are two of my favorites.  Creative Ways also has a lot to say about the basic techniques in using polymer clay, as does The Polymer Clay Techniques Book by Sue Heaser  All three also have specific projects you can do or adapt to your needs.  I have quite a collection of claying books now, some more specialized than others, but I think even a beginner would find these three interesting and useful.  All are available on Amazon for as low as $1.08 to $3 plus shipping and handling, if you don't mind their being used.  I was amazed to notice that the prices for Faux Surfaces in Polymer Clay ranged from #2.99 to over $300.00!  There were three or so images of the book cover, each with a different price range.  So when ordering, look around and be sure to check all the offers on Amazon for any one book.  I read somewhere that some books on Amazon can end up with fantastically high and unrealistic prices because of something going on with their computers.  Just getting all the various tools you might want for claying, plus the clay itself, is expensive enough, so I have always bought used books whenever I could find them. 

At glassattic.com, there is also a huge polymer clay "encyclopedia," which is full of discussions and hints from clay artists about all sorts of things, and all of it is free. 

And have you found helpful sites having to do with doll house furnishings? You may know them already, but if you don’t know them already, some of these sites I have bookmarked may hold some inspiration for you.  I love to browse around in them, even though I have not made doll house miniatures for years and years. 

http://wilhelmjalily.blogspot.com/     This site is interesting in itself, but over to the right there are thumbnails for all sorts of other doll-house-related  blogs, and there is some fascinating stuff there. 

And, of course, the best doll house ever, which I wish I could visit in Chicago, but alas, I live too far away and do not enjoy traveling in my old age.  I have seen some magnificent photos of the castle, though, and if you click on “Exhibit,” you can “visit” various rooms in it:

I wish you success with your miniatures.

• Edited February 20, 2018 9:49 pm  by  JNyago

To: JNyago  (3 of 4) 
 71426.3 in reply to 71426.2 

Thank you so much for a wonderful Welcoming! I have several books on making miniatures with polymer clay but none regarding basic polymer clay techniques. I have been using the internet to learn the basics and printed some of what I found :) 

I had always played with Barbie dolls as a child and had no idea that there were even smaller dollhouses until I was an adult. My kids are all boys (4 of them) so they only played with cars, army men, and video games! Now I am just crazy about 1:12 scale miniatures and have made several dollhouses and sold them all! Right now I am working on my personal dollhouse that I "kit bashed" from a 60 year old wooden farmhouse kit. It has electrical "dollhouse" wiring and the most beautiful lights that I could find relatively inexpensive! I also built a custom (no kit and no plans) veranda for the back of the house but I am having problems with the lighting so now I have to pull up the flooring on the 2nd story and rewire it ugh......

I made some miniature "food" out of polymer clay recently so I would live to post them here!

I do know some of the the websites you mentioned below but there is the Chicago dollhouse and the blog that I most definitely want to see!

Well again, thank you for such a lovely Welcome and sharing some of your resources from the internet! I hope that we can stay in touch :)

To: anola2007 unread  (4 of 4) 
 71426.4 in reply to 71426.3 

You have me drooling with your dollhouse experiences.  When I was little, my grandfather, who was a carpenter who had built the very nice house he and his wife and daughter and son-in-law lived in, made a wooden dollhouse for me.  I remember that I was impressed with the lights he had installed, but you seem to be making a much more sophisticated lighting system than my house had.  Unfortunately, though well-built, my grandfather's doll house could only be accessed from the top, so I much preferred playing with a pre-printed cardboard one my mother gave me one Christmas.  That one was open on the back so I had equal access to all four of its rooms, it had very cheerful colors and a lot of furniture, and even had a "real" staircase in the middle for the dolls to climb or fall down.  I always remember it fondly and wonder when, how, and why it ever disappeared from my life.  I can't imagine that I would have agreed to its being thrown out, I loved it so much.  I still do have a plastic Mr. Peanut and a couple of tiny dogs that once lived in it. 

If you are ever in Wisconsin, you should by all means visit "The House on the Rock," which has a fantastic collection of doll houses.  (https://www.bing.com/search?q=the+house+on+the+rock+in+wisconsin&pc=MOZI&form=MOZLBR)  I had a great disappointment there years ago, when some friends took me and my husband there when we were visiting, because I had to stay with the group while we wandered through the vast collections of all sorts of things the builder had fancied, wondering all the time when we were going to get to the doll house part of it.  And just when we did, someone in the party suddenly realized that she had to leave right away in order to get home at the time she had promised her husband.  There was some compelling reason or other that I could not argue with, so the best I could do was to lag just a little behind the others and look quickly at what I could see of the huge number of doll houses as I walked past at a brisk pace.  It was torture!  If any doll house lover here ever gets to go there, be sure to check where the doll houses are and make a beeline for them at the beginning of your visit.  If I remember right, there were said to be as many as 30 of them...Sob!

Yes, let's stay in touch.  And please do post some of your miniature clay foods!

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.