Police News -  Officer killed, police dog shot (116 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-13 4:17 PM 
To: All  (1 of 18) 

Career criminal with at least 111 prior offenses accused of killing K-9 police officer and wounding his dog

A career criminal with at least 111 prior offenses fatally shot a Cape Cod police officer on Thursday.

Yarmouth Officer Sean Gannon's dog was also shot by Thomas Latanowich, according to authorities. Nero was shot in the face and neck but has been stabilized and faces surgery Friday, according to the Dennis Veterinary Hospital.

Gannon, who was 32, became the first Yarmouth Police Department's first full-time drug detection K-9 officer in 2011, according to WCVB.

Gannon was shot in Barnstable while he and other officers were serving an arrest warrant at a home. Latanowich was taken into custody after an hour-long standoff.

"We’re in our car, just driving around because we can't go back home," local resident Jacqueline Machado told the Herald. "No neighbors were around. The police were very good, very skilled and very in control of the situation."

Yarmouth police had described the 29-year-old Latanowich in 2016 as a "notorious and violent criminal with 111 prior criminal charges," according to CBS in Boston.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/career-criminal-111-offenses-accused-killing-article-1.3932243

photo shortytoilettree.gif

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconApr-14 2:17 PM 
To: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 18) 
 257.2 in reply to 257.1 

How many of these 111 cases were perfected to at least an indictment stage?

While the guy MAY have been a bad actor, he would have long since been incarcerated for a very long time with that many REAL charges heard before at least a magistrate..

When I was working as an investigator, I was always astounded by the magnetism some folks had for getting in the paperwork stream, hundreds of charges, almost none of which were even remotely valid, goes back to the fictional adage of "round up the usual suspects" thing.  Each one rounded up was enmeshed into the system, the system never cleaned up their messes and the media now leaps on the number of incidents as if they were real and actual indictment level offenses. 

Agencies and departments are SUPPOSED to clear up old or incomplete cases, just as they are ALSO supposed to report domestic violence and psychological disturbances to the Weapon Check systems, but they more often than not, do not.

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

• Edited April 14, 2018 2:23 pm  by  Bike (URALTOURIST1)

Reply   Options 

From: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-14 3:36 PM 
To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 18) 
 257.3 in reply to 257.2 

I was stunned when I read that; my first thought was, if true, how could he still be out?  How serious were the charges?  I read he was known for violence, so that raises more questions

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconApr-15 11:26 AM 
To: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 18) 
 257.4 in reply to 257.3 

Exactly, I worked with a guy with a 30+ year rap sheet that read like a Russian hard times novel, most of which was true fiction.  His first arrest was at about 14 for Postal Theft in about 1935, he did hard time for several years.  Once discharged, he could not get a position as he was a CON, Oh, My.  He was also on the Usual Suspects list and got busted regularly for the next many years, usually with no judgments or decisions, just un-arrested and released, but it sure left a trail of disrepute that could not be shaken. 

In about 1973, I arranged for him to get a Coast Guard Federal license as a Mate of Yachts (no longer an active type license) to enable him to hire on as a yacht skipper/captain and upgrade to Master of Yachts (also no longer available) in a year or three as he was now insurable and bondable, took a lot of work on my part and on his over nearly two years, he came up with completely verifiable Good Guy letters from well known and significant employers over quite a few years but he still had the stigma of a long history of arrests so was unable to get a true position of responsibility.  The license, not terribly valuable as yachts do not need licensed staff generally, WAS a Good Guy certificate if you will, the Feds considered him worthy of a position of trust, that translated to a paper of substantial value.

More persons in authority SHOULD take it on themselves to check credentials and backgrounds before making blanket assumptions.  I KNOW it takes lots of work outside the normal lines of duty but ONE good result makes lots of effort worthwhile.

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

From: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-15 2:50 PM 
To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 18) 
 257.5 in reply to 257.4 

Good for you; I'm glad things worked out for him!

We had a dispatcher who had served time for burglary; he was given a job with my company, rose through the ranks to become a department manager.  Sadly he's now in jail, he came in one night and got into the safes.... 

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconApr-16 9:12 AM 
To: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 18) 
 257.6 in reply to 257.5 

Sounds like Congresswoman Brown of Florida, she is now in Federal Prison serving time for embezzlement and fraud by taking the proceeds from her sponsored non-profit for personal use.  Guess she got so used to seeing the theft of funds by so many of the 535 elected felons we have in Congress?

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

From: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-16 3:17 PM 
To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 18) 
 257.7 in reply to 257.6 

It's sad to see people who are doing good fall hard like this....

From: krathyn (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-18 1:59 PM 
To: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 18) 
 257.8 in reply to 257.7 

when i taught my housing class i sometimes did have people get their criminal records and find mistakes on them that made the record worse than it really was.
The one  i remember best, because we both laughed about it before she wrote to the agency that had put it on her record, was that she was a "tall slender white lady-5'7" 130 lbs in description and I was looking at a short plump black lady "5'2" 180 lbs. and while she had other stuff in her record, (with descriptions and places that did match) this one was something she could not have done (no where near the alleged place) and was certainly not her they were describing.

From: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-18 5:14 PM 
To: krathyn (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 18) 
 257.9 in reply to 257.8 

I'm glad that got taken care of!

From: krathyn (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-18 6:24 PM 
To: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 18) 
 257.10 in reply to 257.9 

that one was one of the few, that was really funny!

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-18
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.