Announcements, Events -  17 in '17 (5586 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member Icon2/6/17 12:02 PM 
To: All  (1 of 333) 

I thought I'd make this an official event by posting a specific progress thread for us.  As we've been talking about, the idea is to make a list of 17 UFOs and work on them this year.  If you don't get each one finished, at least make some significant progress.  So look in the tops of your closests and under your beds, pull out the tubs you've had stashed away and make a list of things that you'd really like to see finished.  These don't have to all be quilting UFOs, any project that has been waiting for you to get back to it.

Here's my list:

1.  Nine patch BOW -

a.  teal/green/pink/yellow - this set is finished and packed away for some future time when I set the blocks together. 

b .  burgundy/gold/cream - 13 blocks made -  I really love this set but it's on the back burner now.

c.  red/white/blue - 19 blocks made - This is now front and center to catch up on.  My goal is to have a finished top by September  October 1st.

I need to start making the connector blocks, 24 simple chain blocks to alternate with the nine patch blocks.

2. Scrap Dance quiltalong - change of plans!  I don't like the way the finished quilt top looks so I'm not using their setting. 

I'm going to make two lap size quilts, one from each set of blocks.

3. cut strips for queen size blue/black/white Irish Chain quilt top - this poor thing is never gonna happen!  :-(

4.  Double Wedding Ring - backing ready, need to pin baste

5. red and green full size Snowball quilt top 

set blocks together and add border

6.  remove border on full size Snake in the Hollow quilt top - done

after removing the outer border, the top is 80" x 92" so I'm debating about the two narrow inner borders, might just leave it as is now.

7.  put border on bluebird lap size quilt top 

8.  add final border to full size medallion quilt top

9.  Grandmother's Flower Garden top - I'm going to do One Flower Wednesday and make one rosette each week.

hmm ... I never said when I would start my One Flower Wednesday.  ;-D

10.  Finish quilting border on queen size Lone Star - later because it's too hot to work on this right now

11. blue floral sampler quilt top - pin basted, ready to quilt 

12 twin size Card Tricks quilt top - pin basted, ready to quilt

13.  Broken Dishes quilt top - pin basted, ready to quilt

14.  three lap size Christmas quilts - pin basted, ready to quilt

??15.  Duck and Ducklings quilt top is pin basted and ready to quilt.

16.  Grandma's Patchwork BOW - the top is finished, the border has been added, the backing is ready!  ?This project went fast because I kept up with my enthusiasm.  Now to get it quilted.

17.  Red/yellow/green 9" nine patch blocks - I'm still not sure how I'm going to set these.  I've auditioned several fabrics but so far nothing looks right.

• Edited August 14, 2017 4:49 pm  by  Irish Karen (kdf50)

Reply   Options 

To: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 333) 
 3715.2 in reply to 3715.1 

I need to do something just for the fun of it!!! Think it is time to clean up the finished things here..........

HAPPY SEWING update!!!!!!!!!!

A. repair new no name 18" sqs ...1 of 25 made check back around Christmas on this one being finished

I. Two commissions: a girl quilt and a boy quilt. Fabric purchased and tops are ready to be sandwiched.... as of today they are heading to the machine for quilting YAY!!!!!! Binding scheduled for this Sunday

2. My poor poor Burgoyne Surrounded needs to be chopped and sewn....chopped is done now just needs to be sewn together Will make ships in the border for DGS...as he is being inducted into the USN on Monday.I went thru my books the other day and found I now have 4 different BS books :-) should I buy another? NOT!!!

3. Applique border on yellow quilt.(as soon as I remember what pattern I was going to use LOL think this will be ribbons so will work up quick)

4. 1955 Movie quilt  http://www.ritaverrocaquilts.com/index/#/heinrich-harrison/   Basting done first 36" block !/2 done only has two center flowers left on blocks 1

5. cut and sew borders for challenge Q.blocks. (before I lose the fabric again that I picked out <G>)

6. Maybe a second Cheddar quilt...still dream'n....absolutely still dream'in on a pattern or decide I really don't hate to make Flying Geese blocks :-) just might turn into a sampler done in various cheddars leaning toward Jacobs ladder Or the most recent idea thanks to SA.......a Cheddar and cream Bear Paws.

7. Found a pattern I can't live without. It is Seven Sisters in the Garden (design from 1995's I think) this GFG is done in complete Hexies not the usual diamond/star (you see the regular 7 Sisters always done with diamonds etc...not this one) Hope it doesn't take long. Several groups of sister's are cut out and ready to be sewn,,,,,,WORKING up nicely....very nicely

8. commission for a GFG YAY!!!! will see the Hexies tomorrow. These are all 1 " (unfinished) will be awesome when done. Fabric purchased and some cut out for the walkways and grass) This is taking forever has 5 of 9 rows joined YAY!

9. 5 groups of awesome blocks: 2 applique ( one of the units needed to be resewn a couple were turned in opposite direction of one of the matching blocks), 1 log cabin, 1 GFG working and enjoying these a lot. They are being done over Mylar instead of EPP), 1 Apple Core..(already claimed by one Grandson easy and fun to do) I think someone got lost in the counting...meeeeeeeeeeeee

**** Tipp'in my hat to Irish, for turning me on to a "guy" quilt. It will go to DGS in Navy colors as he just completed basic training and now is an official sailor in nuke school for an unforgivable length of time.....I think a total of 2 years.

?Currently have 5 active + those mentioned above, commissions...when done I'm done. 

Off to the bank to take out a mortgage on more years to live So many projects so little time.........but it is fun!

CharMnquilt
  • Edited October 5, 2017 5:30 pm  by  Char mnquilt (MNQUILT)

To: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 333) 
 3715.3 in reply to 3715.1 

Here are my 12, along with the months so far:

1 "Bees" quilt
2 Metro Twist
3 3" 9-patches
4 Kaffe Fassett windows 1 of 2
5 Moni Running quilt 
6 Hex-n-triangles
7 Red Cardinal pincushion
8 Wool pumpkin pincusion - January
9 Kaffe Fassett windows 2 of 2
10 Pearls (Atkins blocks)
11 Percolate
12 Chisel top - February

From: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member Icon2/7/17 9:50 AM 
To: Char mnquilt (MNQUILT)  (4 of 333) 
 3715.4 in reply to 3715.2 

That's about what my list looks like, Char.  Most of the blocks I have put back are in groups of a dozen so I need to make more to have enough for a bed size quilt top.  I have quilt tops in the half way assembled stage that won't take long to finish once I start working on them again.  I have a Lone Star quilt that I have to finish quilting.  Now that I have a plan, a lot of this will be used for the kids quilts so I do see a light at the end of the tunnel.

To: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 333) 
 3715.5 in reply to 3715.1 

Okay, here goes:

1. Finish blankets for twins (just need sandwiching and binding), consider/attempt/reconsider making a coordinating blanket for older sister

2. Make ocean blanket with sample pieces, get creative

3. Finish blanket with four patch blocks from PL jelly roll 

4. Assemble top from blocks using disappearing churn dash

5. Finish scrappy blue quilt by adding borders, sandwiching

6. Use my embroidered Hazel blocks in a quilt

Well, that wasn't so bad! If I do all that, I will be walking on air!

From: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member Icon2/7/17 9:54 AM 
To: EllenMcFabric (ELLENROB)  (6 of 333) 
 3715.6 in reply to 3715.3 

Good going, Ellen!  I have to admit that I admire anyone who can make 3" blocks, nine patch or any other kind.  I don't do well working with something that small.  Tell me about your Bees quilt.  I like bees a lot.

From: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member Icon2/7/17 10:56 AM 
To: willferg  (7 of 333) 
 3715.7 in reply to 3715.5 

I'll be interested to see what you do with your sample pieces, lots of possibilities there.  Which of the Hazel blocks did you embroider?  I want to make the Summer Wildflowers.  If I make a carry around kit, I might get most of them embroidered this summer.  It just depends on how far I've gotten with my 17 list.  For those who aren't familiar with Hazel, she kept a diary when she was a teenager in  the 5os.  Her granddaughter has been publishing it, entry by entry for the past few years, and doing quiltalongs.  If you're interested, you can go to the archive and go all the way back to the beginning.  It's a sweet story.  Here are the blocks that I want to make.

https://hazelsdiary.wordpress.com/2012/07/24/hazels-summer-wildflowers/

To: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 333) 
 3715.8 in reply to 3715.4 

Looks like we're on a roll with Ellen, Laurie, Me and you so far. YAY!!!!!! 

~~~~~~~~

A funny story. Several years ago I signed up for a class called Scrap Tamers. The first meeting we were given a list of things we needed to do to organize the projects that would require a year or so to complete.

As i usually did I waited until I was home to read everything in the packet and being very excited to do this class I began with the page with 35 (or so) things to do. By the time I got to the class again I had all but one item on the list completed......that list was to be done OVER the course of a year.....LOL boy did I feel foolish and now I read before I leave!!!!!! LOL

CharMnquilt

To: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 333) 
 3715.9 in reply to 3715.7 

Yep, I did the Summer Wildflowers. The problem is how to stretch six blocks into a lap throw. The only layout I can come up with is putting them on point, and I don't like doing the math for that. I've thought about adding a few of the Bouquet for Hazel blocks, but haven't gotten any farther than that, lol. I have pics of the blocks at the end of this post. I did all the embroidery in black:

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog/archives/08-2014

From: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member Icon2/8/17 10:35 AM 
To: willferg  (10 of 333) 
 3715.10 in reply to 3715.9 

Those are beautiful, Laurie!  I really like the fabric you have with them.  I thought of two setting possibilities.  Make a nine block quilt using five of the Hazel blocks with four connectors.  That could be a black chain on ivory, appliqued or embroidered baskets or something of that nature.  Use the extra block for a pillow.  Or, sew three together lengthwise and put a lengthwise sash on the outsides and between the two rows.  Maybe the sash could be embroidered with a vine.  Then put a border around the whole thing, maybe a narrow black border and a wider one with your print.  Whatever you decide to do with them will be beautiful.   

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 ... 311-320 321-330 331-333
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.