Swaps, Sewn Blocks -  Irish Stars Quiltalong (858 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member IconJul-13 2:22 PM 
To: All  (1 of 38) 
  • Edited August 10, 2017 12:22 pm  by  Irish Karen (kdf50)

Reply   Options 

To: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 38) 
 3773.2 in reply to 3773.1 

Thanks for separating the two QALs, Karen.  I'm using 1 1/2" squares but don't plan to make a very large size as I get bored making the same thing over and over and over again.  :-) 

SharonG/FL

From: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member IconJul-13 10:57 PM 
To: SharonG/FL (SHAZZAG)  (3 of 38) 
 3773.3 in reply to 3773.2 

I really like this but since I'm doing the other one that's also made with a lot of squares, I think I'd be overloaded.  There's also the big star QAL that's made with squares.  I really like it, too, but .... you can have too much of a good thing. lol   I just now finished getting all my 6 1/2" squares and the strips cut for Grandma's QAL and I've started cutting the 7 1/2" squares for the QSTs.  Before I start sewing any of them, though, I have to get caught up on our BOW!

• Edited August 10, 2017 12:23 pm  by  Irish Karen (kdf50)

To: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 38) 
 3773.4 in reply to 3773.3 

We'll see how far I get on these little squares quilt alongs.  I have 2 I'm playing with....The Irish Star, Bonnie Hunter has one going using 1 1/2" squares and strips and I'm thinking about the Butterfly Threads Big Star but using 2" squares for that one.  Those 3 plus Grandma's Patchwork and the BOW and BOM is keeping my mind busy.

SharonG/FL

From: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member IconJul-14 12:04 PM 
To: SharonG/FL (SHAZZAG)  (5 of 38) 
 3773.5 in reply to 3773.4 

The Butterfly Threads star is the other one I'd like to make.  It officially starts this Sunday, the 16th.  I really like it for a grandson's quilt but if I make it, I won't start it until after I finish Grandma's Patchwork. 

To: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 38) 
 3773.6 in reply to 3773.5 

I have the Big Star design penciled out on graph paper in order to keep me aware of it. I don't plan to start it soon, though.  I know I have a lot of 2" strips but not sure about whites/wows/neutrals.

I worked on the Irish Stars today.....not sewing but cutting fabric for the stars and making a 'kit' for the block so it'll be easy to pick it up and sew.

SharonG/FL

From: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member IconJul-15 12:34 AM 
To: SharonG/FL (SHAZZAG)  (7 of 38) 
 3773.7 in reply to 3773.6 

That's a good idea.  If you don't work on it anymore before you leave, it will be waiting for you and you won't have to figure it all out again.

From: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member IconJul-19 10:31 AM 
To: All  (8 of 38) 
 3773.8 in reply to 3773.7 

Butterfly Threads has posted the first step in its big star quiltalong.  As I work on other projects,  I'm cutting extra 2 1/2" strips to fill a tub with.  If I do get to this one, I want to be ready to start cutting all those squares!  I really, really like this for a no brainer quilt.  :-D

http://www.butterflythreadsquilting.com/2017/07/summer-star-scrappy-sew-along-step-1.html

From: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member IconJul-20 10:57 AM 
To: All  (9 of 38) 
 3773.9 in reply to 3773.8 

Part 3 of the Irish Stars quiltalong is a tutorial for making Irish Chain blocks.  I'll pass along my own method of making these blocks, FWIW.  When you look at the picture, you can see that it's 4 four patches connected with a pieced sash.  I make a tub full of four patch blocks.  Then I cut my white (or whatever background I'm using) into 2 1/2" strips, sew them to fabric strips and subcut into 2 1/2" sections.  Join two of the four patches with a 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" section of the sash.  Finally, I sew the remaining sashes onto a center scrappy square and use that sash to connect two of the four patch sections.  Just remember to always keep your white/background fabric on the outer ends.  Everybody finds their own way of making things like this, that's just mine because I like to make things in steps.

https://weddingdressblue.wordpress.com/2017/07/19/irish-star-quilt-along-part-3-triple-irish-chain-block-tutorial/ 

• Edited July 20, 2017 11:03 am  by  Irish Karen (kdf50)

To: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 38) 
 3773.10 in reply to 3773.8 

I have a start on this Summer Star Scrappy (xmas fab) and have about 50 strips of 3 squares in preparation for the scrappy 9 patches.  I've sorted and have found some scrappy triangles that will work for the split 9 patch, but haven't done anything about the neutral background.  I'm done with this one until I get back in Sept. :-) 

SharonG/FL

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-38
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.