Swaps, Sewn Blocks -  Friendship Patchwork Quiltalong (808 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-1 10:22 AM 
To: All  (1 of 29) 

I have really used a lot of old fabric and scraps recently on patchwork quilts and I am loving it!  After I finished the quiltalong from A Quilting Life, I made up a much simpler design that goes together fast.  I have already made all my sections for it and just need to sew them together into a top.  What's more, I'm gonna make another one!  That will give me one for each grandson.  :-D  I'm going to share this simpler design for anyone who's interested.

There will be four steps to this quiltalong and I'll post one every Friday morning beginning next week on the 8th.  Step #4 will be the Big Reveal so you can see how to assemble your patchwork.  I'm going to give you the cutting instructions for three different sizes without a border so after you make your top, you can decide what kind of border you want to use and how wide you want it to be.  I'm reserving the next three messages to keep the instructions for each size separated for your convenience.

This is a really good project for newbies.  The design elements are very basic and if some of your corners don't quite meet, it won't be noticeable.  You'll be making this for yourself so you can work at your own pace with no deadlines to meet. 

This will whittle away at your stash by using all those odds and ends of fabric that you want to clear out.  All your pretty fabric that you spent a lot of money on?  Yeah, save that for something else.  Old fabric from the 90s?  Perfect!  Recycled fabric?  Absolutely!  You don't have to worry about choosing a background or making anything match because you can use any color and any print, large or small, to make a true scrap quilt. 

I'm not going to compare this with eating potato chips but I will tell you that after you finish this patchwork quilt, don't be surprised if you can't stop with one!  You have until next Friday to get all your fabric ready to start cutting so get to it, my friend.  :-D

Reply   Options 

From: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-1 10:23 AM 
To: All  (2 of 29) 
 3785.2 in reply to 3785.1 

45" x 45" without border

Step #1 - 5 1/2" squares, cut 52

Step #2 - make 13 four patches using 3" strips sewn into pairs and subcut every 3".  The four patches should be 5 1/2" unfinished.  Just as an idea of how many strips you'll need, if you cut 13 strips 3" x 12 1/2" that would give you enough to make your 13 four patches.

To get an even number of pairs for your 4 patch squares, cut 12 strips 3" x 12 1/2" and two strips 3" x 6 1/2".  I was figuring up how many strips you need to get the right number of 3" squares but didn't think about the odd number issue!

Step #3 - 6" squares, cut 8 light and 8 dark to make 16 HSTs

After you make your HSTs, combine your squares and HSTs to make four Friendship Star blocks and use one four patch as the center square.  I'll post a picture in a separate post.

Step #4 - sew your remaining 5 1/2" squares into 12 rows of 3 for the sashes that go between your star blocks.  Use your remaining four patches as cornerstones in the sashing.

• Edited September 29, 2017 9:42 am  by  Irish Karen (kdf50)

From: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-1 10:23 AM 
To: All  (3 of 29) 
 3785.3 in reply to 3785.2 

65" x 65" without border

Step #1 - 5 1/2" squares, cut 108

Step #2 - make 25 four patches using 3" strips sewn into pairs and subcut every 3".  The four patches should be 5 1/2" unfinished.  Just as an idea of how many strips you'll need, if you cut 25 strips 3" x 12 1/2" that would give you enough to make your 25 four patches.

To get an even number of pairs for your 4 patch squares, cut 24 strips 3" x 12 1/2" and two strips 3" x 6 1/2".  I was figuring up how many strips you need to get the right number of 3" squares but didn't think about the odd number issue!

Step #3 - 6" squares, cut 18 dark and 18 light to make 36 HSTs

After you make your HSTs, combine your squares and HSTs to make nine Friendship Star blocks and use one four patch as the center square.  I'll post a picture in a separate post.

Step #4 - sew your remaining 5 1/2" squares into 24 rows of 3 for the sashes that go between your star blocks.  Use you remaining four patches as cornerstones in the sashing.

• Edited September 29, 2017 9:43 am  by  Irish Karen (kdf50)

From: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-1 10:25 AM 
To: All  (4 of 29) 
 3785.4 in reply to 3785.3 

65" x 85" without border

Step #1 -  5 1/2" squares, cut 141

Step #2 - make 32 four patches that are 5 1/2" unfinished, using 3" strips sewn into pairs and subcut every 3".  Just as an idea of how many strips you'll need, if you cut 32 strips 3" x 12 1/2" that would give you enough to make your 32 four patches.

Step #3 - 6" squares, cut 24 light and 24 dark.  Use these to make 48 HSTs.

After you make your HSTs, combine your squares and HSTs to make twelve Friendship Star blocks and use one four patch as the center square.  I'll post a picture in a separate post.

Step #4 - sew your remaining 5 1/2" squares into 12 rows of 3 for the sashes that go between your star blocks.  Use you remaining four patches as cornerstones in the sashing.

• Edited September 29, 2017 9:44 am  by  Irish Karen (kdf50)

To: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 29) 
 3785.5 in reply to 3785.2 

You've got me intrigued...my sister wants me to make a baby blanket and big sister blanket for a coworker, and I was thinking of using pinks and creams in some sort of scrappy fashion. Maybe this will be it!

From: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-1 11:06 PM 
To: willferg  (6 of 29) 
 3785.6 in reply to 3785.5 

I think the reason I've been loving these is because it takes no brainwork. lol  Just cut 'em out and stitch 'em up!  I think the bigger variety you have the better it looks.  I've been going through my scraps and noticed that I do have quite a few pinks of different shades.  That's when I started thinking it would be a pretty baby quilt with the pinks and some shades of lavender mixed in.

From: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-7 10:05 AM 
To: All  (7 of 29) 
 3785.7 in reply to 3785.6 

I have my top in sections and will get it finished in the next couple of days.  It has turned out just as I hoped it would and I love it!  First step will be posted tomorrow.

From: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-8 8:13 AM 
To: All  (8 of 29) 
 3785.8 in reply to 3785.7 

As you can see, nothing to this first step except cutting squares and you can do that in your sleep!

From: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-15 12:14 PM 
To: All  (9 of 29) 
 3785.9 in reply to 3785.8 

I edited posts 2, 3 and 4 to add this weeks steps.  My top is in sections waiting to be sewn together.  I'm determined to get that done this weekend and put a border on it.

From: Irish Karen (kdf50) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-19 12:10 PM 
To: All  (10 of 29) 
 3785.10 in reply to 3785.9 

My top is finished and I'm thrilled with the way it came out.  I had it spread out on the floor and as my oldest grandson walked through, he stopped and commented on how much he likes this one.  :-D  That's music to a grandma's heart!  Because it's a little busy looking with all the scraps and colors, I actually like a very plain frame around it.  I'm going to put a simple 3" border on it and I'm hoping to get that done tonight. 

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-29
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.