About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Freedom '16   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 2/3/16 by ModAndrea; 794533 views.
ModSue (VentasSue)

2/4/16

Hey Anita

Great to see you here.  Aren't we just so amazing.  I love feeling so proud of myself and I love the freedom of being a non-smoker.  Thanks to you, also, for the strength and support you're giving me and others in our 'Freedom '16' group.  We're gonna do it!

Sue

ModSue (VentasSue)

2/4/16

Hey Vivienne

Great to meet you here.  Not sure if we've talked before - sorry, my brain is only just getting free of the cotton-wool it's be wrapped in the past few weeks!  It is getting better though, day by day and it's so worthwhile, I just want to pinch myself.  I know we're going to be a really strong group and all succeed one day at a time together.

Sue

ModSue (VentasSue)

2/4/16

Hey Stephanie

How are you doing.  I hope your back is a bit better.  I'm having physiotherapy and massages again now which is helping me a lot (and a lovely, relaxing reward for me, too!).  It's miserable to be in pain though so, hang in there - it will get better.  It's lovely to meet you in our new home and I'm sure we'll all get to know each other really well on the course of our journey.

Take care

Sue

Amdarc

2/4/16

Hey Sue

Not sure when you entered this post but it is 8pm on Thursday feb 4 here in Queensland. Your post says 5am - you get up really early. Wish I could do that. I have worked shiftwork since 1971 until I retired in June last year and I am having a horrible time trying to get my bodyclock to do what most call normal. I'd love to get up early and get into it and fall into bed gratefully early. The weather here has been stinking hot without a breeze especially at night and it's already hot when I drag myself up at about 8am.

Hope a few more of the January group turn up at the pool. I'm sure there were a lot more names when i first joined.

I hit the 5 week mark at midnight I think. Every hour and every day as a non smoker is so good but a week is really special. I didn't think I had a hope of doing this but so far so good.

Talk again soon.

Anne-Marie

slowblumer

2/4/16

Hi Ann Marie,

It's 5:32 an here in Maryland. That 5 week mark is special.  I started felling less desperate to smoke around that time .  You and Sue and Viv and all are doing so good.  Shift work can really mess up your body clock and I bet it is hard to adjust. Now that you are retired when do you sleep now!

Amdarc

2/4/16

Hi Marge

You are an early bird too. Sue is in Spain and Viv in Grafton NSW (another Aussie). We are all doing alright I think but every day brings it's challenges.

I am sure I will get into a better routine when my brain returns. Every now and then I am awake all night for a couple of nights then struggle for a few days to get into a better pattern but the summer heat that we are having makes it hard for everyone to sleep at night so it's making it harder to get up at dawn and enjoy the cool mornings.

I hope the cravings become less for all of us in the early stages of quitting and that we can all keep NOPING.

Anne-Marie

ModSue (VentasSue)

2/4/16

Hey Anne-Marie

I know I'll soon qualify to be a saint -  not smoking and not drinking - but no, I'm not that wonderful.  I didn't send the post at 5 am - I was still sound asleep then.  We get up about 7 am but go to bed quite early too.  I'm really not sure what time I sent the post - I think it was about 10.30 am here on Thurs. 4th Feb which would mean that there's about 9.5 hrs difference between us.  I'm sure we'll get it sorted at some time - we could do with someone who has the right sort of brain to work these things out.  I'll Google it at some time so we know the difference between Queensland, Australia and Andalusia, Spain.  Anyway, the main thing is we can talk, which is wonderful.  Enormous congratulations on 5 weeks - that's incredible - I'll bet you feel so proud.  I'm on my 25th day and have decided, in one week's time when I get to one month, I'm going to just count weeks and not days.  I have a whiteboard in the kitchen where I mark and cross out each day of success.  I'm going to take a photo of it when it's full to remind me of where I was - I feel very confident about where I'll be now but do realise there could be some tough times ahead.  I hope this euphoric patch isn't me being 'cocky' or complacent.  I don't think so but will try to keep an eye on any danger signals.  No, today I'm just going to enjoy feeling pretty good about myself.

So, take care - hope you get a really good night's sleep tonight.  You deserve it.

Speak soon

Sue

Amdarc

2/4/16

Dear Saint Sue

I really should be in bed now but have read some very helpful articles in the forum library. My eyes are really hurting so I will shut down soon.

I wonder are you feeling as good as I did at the one month mark last week. Isn't it a marvellous feeling. You should be so proud and it sounds as though you are a bit isolated and can't just up and find a shoulder to cry on. This forum is wonderful for just that reason.

I haven't seen many of my old workmates since I finished work which I feel very sad about and most of my main contacts who are family are smokers. My biggest tests are coming up when I start to mingle again.

It's nearly 10pm here so I'll try for some sleep and hope that we are all still here NOPING again tomorrow.

(PS)   I came across Mary from the December group who gave up two days before me - she would have celebrated her 5 week mark alone - she must be very strong but would feel very alone. I invited her to the pool and the Freedom '16 group. Can you keep an eye out for her? Thanks in advance.

slowblumer

2/4/16

Hi Ann Marie,

Have a good sleep.

Before I retired I was at my desk at work by 5:30 every day and got up at 3:15.  I do sleep a little later now but old patterns die hard and I am still up early.

VIV691 (NOSMOKING3)

2/4/16

Hi Sue,    Nice to meet you too.    I had a quit of 2 1/2 years and stupidly relapsed, so I am back to square one.   I am just two weeks in but it feels easier this time.  I think it is because I want back what I had.   My brain is a bit all over the place though.   I indulged in some stupid thinking that a cigarette helps one think better.  It is an insane addiction.

Talk later

Vivienne