About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)|Verywell.com Smoking Cessation

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussion

Freedom '16   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 2/3/16 by ModAndrea; 140131 views.
breathefree

Dec-14

Hi Sue Firstly congratulations on celebrating another month.The good thing about our Quit it just toddles along and mounts up with less effort from us most of the time.

I totally understand about your"hypochondria "I too have been suffering far more since I quit and question if it is detoxifying or simply maturity?Perhaps a bit of both I think.I often got annoyed as I was sure all the adverts said we would leap over hurdles,climb mountains and swim the English channel when we quit.I am glad you are taking Juans advice and you have something on hand to help if needed.

I have finally given up crawling around or spending my day leaning on something to remain upright due to pain and nicked hubbies crutch.I absolutely refuse to use a walking frame/zimmer as friends have suggested(  I have a little tea trolley for taking stuff around the house and thats Ok but after years old lugging dear old Mum and her walking frame in and out of the house and my car I cant even bear doing it again.So I accept that at the moment it is helpful to use crutches to help me get about.(I have even been out in the garden a little bit too)I have a good collection of pots of tomatoes,herbs and vegetables/salad on my deck outside the kitchen.dinning room which keeps me able to do a little easier gardening.Believe it or not I have lost my appetite and like you need to drink more.I think I drank heaps when I got the cues to smoke but dont now but have no idea why I cant bear food.That means for my Birthday they can cook their own steaks while my daughter and I enjoy Portobello mushrooms and heaps of salad  and hummus.I will make a large fresh fruit salad to have with ice cream. The kids still see ice cream as a treat due to the price,following a low sugar diet and Mum is gluten free.

I did wonder about residency since Brexit and it would seem to be the right thing is to become a Spanish resident and  let the world get on with reorganizing itself.I think those like you and I should be extra grateful to know if needed we can feed ourselves from our land and not need too many pricey and unnatural products.

I hope you get your Italy trip sorted as its obviously something you have dreamed of doing.I always think if you get the opportunity to do something go ahead as we dont know what is around the corner.

I havent been hiding but have caught up on my reviews and trials I do for pocket money (I was well behind)I also had no notifications to my phone so will head off to read what I missed.Funnily enough e have had intermittent reception again as every time the earthquakes rumble things drop off. We saw the typical Kiwi no8 wire approach in Kaikoura last week.With the slips on the roads and tunnels being so huge a helicopter took the fiber optics over the hill and trees to rejoin at a better place.(I would imagine the wire actually just hangs out there for now)Today the government announce it will put aside $2billion for the coastal route repairs over the next year.

I do hope you did not become god mother to the dog that was pregnant too as you have done your bit.Its so sad when people are so cruel and they dont neuter their pets too.I was in one of our Tropical islands once when the volunteer vet team arrived from our university.With in days there were queues of dogs being surrendered to be fixed and the dog catcher caught as many wanderers for that reason too.Perhaps you should see if some well off person who adores animals could sponsor the same sort of thing over there.Our team is final year vet students and nurses who get a free holiday in return for doing the job.Its win win I think.

OK so I waffled on and am not talking about smoking anymorestar2

Triff

breathefree

Dec-14

Thnaks Heather I am just catching up today.I am thankful that I am still quit and hope to stay that way this time.I think I am automatically changing my thoughts now which I did not do previously.Then I bull dozed through which didnt help.

I often wonder about Mitchy who went through the beginning hell days with us.I would love to hear from those of our friends from then no matter where they are.

I am so pleased you are doing so well in all directions now and are enjoying your new life of freedom

Triff 11x 

breathefree

Dec-14

Hi Marge Thanks for all your posts and the last article from Rich.It all helps us remember little things to make sure we stay quit.

I think in an earlier post you said you felt down during winter.Well this year I researched SAD and vitamin D etc.Coincidentally I had an offer hen I ordered at iherb for 30 days of VitD3(5000iu the same as being in the sun for a day).I figured there was nothing to lose and started taking it at the end of autumn.Two weeks in I noticed my stubborn knee pain had improved and someone led me to an article all about Vit D.Yes it definitely improved my winter fog and other ailments were better too.I did not have one cold/flu this winter either.

http://taked3.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/NEXUS.Bowles.VitD_.draft2_.pdf.

Like most things this is interesting but of course check with your health professional if at all worried.

I do feel for you now its getting colder and you will have inside days.Now you dont do Lego what is on hand for you ?I know being here keeps you busy too.One advantage I find of inter is being able to go to bed when its dark and not get woken up by early morning light either.

Triff

Neats (1146)

Dec-15

Hey Marge, Sue, Triff (Freedom 16)

Just popping in to show I am still very much around. However it has been a bit hectic as my brother was admitted to hospital again with his heart. This time its a suspected mild heart attack but of course with his history they kept him in run test and keep an eye on him. In the meantime  my niece arrived from Canada  for the Christmas holidays.  I have also been trying to sort out things on the home front plus go work, so the last few days have been a bit mad to say the less, lol.

Sue I had an appointment made for the hospital and can you believe it was originally booked for February 6th. But, following the test last week it was then moved at the last minute for today which I've  had to cancel as it clashed with another appointment I have had booked for ages. There will send out a further appointment maybe for sometime next week.

Oh my gosh! Marge what exciting news, that the Ravens are coming to London next year. I don't understand the game not one bit, but if I can rope someone into going with me I would go to my first game EVER. I can be a bit rowdy when I get going so God knows if I could cope with all the excitement grinningblushheart_eyes 

Hey Triff as you can see its been a bit crazy here for me as usual but just want to say hello. I have not had the time to read through the post but do hope things are ok for you.

Hope you ladies all have a good day or night,

Chat soon

Anita**********

Hi Triff,

So glad to hear from you and thanks for the article.   I will read it later.  It's a good reminder for me.  I have been lax in taking my multivitamin only remembering about every other day to take it.  A couple of years a go I had a Vit D deficiency and my doc put me on it.  I am due to see her on 1/3/17 so I will look up the dosage I was taking at that time.  I also had blood work done about 2 weeks ago so that should also tell. You got me thing about the SAD(seasonal effective disorder).  I still have a light in the attic I ordered from Canada about 10 years ago for my daughter.   It sure is bright.  Overall though, I will feel much better once the holidays are passed.  One really great thing is that I have some great toys for my grand kids and that part of the holidays I love:)  Joseph is still young enough to totally enjoy having a Nerf gunfight with grandma.

It was 34 F when I got up this morning, only 2 1/2 hours ago and the temp now has dropped to 28 F. Brrr!  So far I have 3 layers of shirts on and that is inside the house.

I do projects in the fall and winter.  Last month I painted my living room.  For winter I have the kitchen down as my target but right now I am not ready to do it.  I need a few more weeks to recover from overdoing the living room painting and overdoing my exercises.  So, right now I am working on my tool workshop in the basement, organizing it.  It does not take any real physical work and I see results right away.  Quit buddy Steve was organizing his and he gave me the idea of an activity that is low impact.  I also go to the big Library and get about 6 books at a time.   I definitely cook more in the winter, put the oven on and putter in the kitchen with a chicken or bean soup simmering.  I have no problem keeping occupied, it's more the lack of sunlight as we discussed.

I sure agree with you about protecting our quits.  This second year is quite different but the same kinds of things but in miniature proportions to last year, except for stress.  I still need my toolbox  with me at all times:))

Hi Anita,

Glad you did pop in.  Sorry to hear about your brother and hope he has a speedy recovery.  You are a very, very busy lady.

Hey Anita, I would love to see rowdy little you cheering at the game in London.  I do hope they broadcast it here live as well.  Wear a sign and maybe i will see you in the stands ha, ha!

I bet your niece is happy you are a non smoker now.

VentasSue

Dec-16

Hey Marge

Massive congratulations on your 21 month anniversary.  What you have achieved so far is incredible and I'd like to thank you, once again, for all the help you've given our group, and, especially me, over the course of this year.  I know that the thought that you are always on hand to support, teach and comfort me has been a huge part of me being able to quit and stay quit.  Thank you.

Big Hugs, Suestar2star2star2star2star2star2star2star2star2star2star2

Quit 11th January 2016

VentasSue

Dec-16

Hey Anita

Congratulations - you are doing so well.  Eleven months is fantastic.  We're really doing this and it is getting better.

Sorry about your brother.  I do hope that he soon recovers.  Also, I hope that your niece's stay gives you a boost and you can have some fun with her.

Have a wonderful day.

Quit 11th January 2016

VentasSue

Dec-16

Hey Marge

I know I've already posted you but just wanted to tell you about my 'nerve bundles'.  I went for a massage at Val's yesterday and she started by doing the right-hand side of my neck and head which was lovely.  Then she moved down to my shoulder blade and I was just going to say it wasn't the right spot, when she yelled 'I've got it'.  It was agony and she told me I'd have to take the pain for 10 seconds and she massaged this small spot with both her thumbs to the count of ten.  I thought I was going to pass out - it hurt so much.  Anyway, when she'd finished - wow - what a feeling - the pain was almost gone and I just felt a bit sore.  I only go to her every three weeks now, usually, but she says I may need to go back for 'round 2' next week if the pain is still around.  I gave her a big hug and kiss before I left.  I was just so grateful.   We're going to her place again on Sunday for her annual Christmas bash and I plan to take loads of goodies as she's definitely high up on my list of favourite people in my life at the moment.

All else is well.  I feel pretty stable emotionally (don't speak too soon, Susan!!) at the moment.  Long may it last.  Pete and are buying each other new reclining, massaging etc. armchairs for Christmas but he keeps hinting that he's also got me something I'm going to love!  Now I feel guilty as I've not got him anything much yet.  I'll have to hit the shops again next week and find something.

I hope your cold spell hasn't arrived yet and isn't too bad when it does.  We've just got grey, drizzly skies but its not very cold at the moment.  

Have a lovely day

Quit 11th January 2016

HI Sue,

Thank you for the congrats.  It is feeling awfully good to be at this point-awfully good!! 

Woo, I can see you now in your new reclining, massaging chair.  Pete might never get you out of it.

Those nerve bundles are horrible.  I have seen Rachel in so much pain with them and just like you it hurts when the chiropractor works on it but she feels so much better after it's over.  

I had about 5 layers of cloths on yesterday when I ventured out.  Today will be the same.  I am remembering back before I quit and came here.  I smoked so much in the winter.  The days seemed so long, I would smoke one after another and by the time I went to bed at night I felt half sick from smoking so much-it seems like a nightmare now, a vicious cycle.

You better get Pete a great present-it's been a long year for him ha, ha.