About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Best Decision Ever - Almost 10 Years Later   One Year and Beyond Milestones

Started 2/3/16 by Wendy Motsinger (WendyMotsing); 1634 views.

I haven't been posting around here but I still remember how important this forum was in helping me quit and appreciate that it is still helping others.  I was in the process of cleaning up my desk and came across my quit date - 8/18/2006.  I was surprised to see that it has been almost 10 years!!!!!!  It really was the best decision of my life.  So, please, please, please - DON'T GIVE UP ON YOUR QUIT.  You can do it.

In all honesty, I know it was hard but I barely remember how hard it was now.  This is how I see it now:

1)  I am smoke free.  I know that my lungs are pretty healthy.  When I see ads showing tar filled, blackened lungs, I know they are not mine.  When I see ads about emphysema or trachyotomy's, I know that I have significantly reduced my risk.  I am at peace knowing that I am healthier and that makes me happier.  See, for me, my biggest worry was quality of life.  It was about doing something before I became sick.  I was fortunate that smoking hadn't yet caused me irreparable health problems and I wanted to keep it that way.  See, I have a mother, a brother and a father, all who are fighting or fought cancer.  I wanted to give  myself the best chance I could.  I wanted the best future possible, which includes going on walks and hiking with my dogs.  I want to be one of those old people who never seem to be old.  I couldn't be that person if I continued to smoke.  So, this was BIG WIN #1. 

2)  BIG WIN #2 was being financially unburdened by the cost of smoking.  Geez, I can't believe how much people are paying for cigarettes these days or how much I spent when I did.  What a waste.  I was paying to make myself sick.  Now, I can't imagine spending $200 a month on cigarettes or even $100 a month on cigarettes.  I am saving so much money that I REALLY need for other things.

3)  Then there is time.  I can sit through a movie, go to dinner, drive in a car, and get through my work day without the constant interruptions - not just the physical interruption but the mental interruption/distraction of it as well.  I can work on my craft projects without stopping.  I can go for long hikes and just enjoy my time.  No highs and lows of cravings and no more crankies that went with those cravings, 3, 4 or 5 times a day.  It is so much LESS stressful without the addiction.  Without knowing if I have them on me and where and when I can have it and constantly thinking about it.   It was in control of my life.  It's wonderful now without them and I enjoy life so much more.  So, that is BIG WIN #3.

You know, there are many, many ways I feel and know that it was the best decision of my life.  If you are trying to quit, I hope that you continue and know how VERY important it is.  Get through a day at a time.  Days turn into weeks, weeks turn into months and months turn into years.  For me, it got easier every day because I was so happy that I quit.  So, happy for all the reasons above.  I hated going through the first few months but I loved being a non-smoker.  As much as possible, I encouraged myself and felt proud of myself for being a non-smoker.  You should too.  It's the best decision of your life.

Anywho, I would like to give one last piece of advice.  You have many tools to help you through cravings and use them but there is only one thing and one thing alone that will make you successful, for good, and that is a no tolerance policy.  You must decide to fight through each craving, whether your tools are helping or not.  You must decide the answer to any thought or craving of having one, is NO!!!!  Before you begin to think it, the answer is NO.  As soon as you start to think it, the answer is NO.  The answer is NO, NO, NO.  Relieve yourself of the burden of choice.  There is no choice.  THE ANSWER IS NO.

I wish that anyone reading this and trying to quit, that you always say no and that you will be here, almost 10 years later, telling people that you've done it! 

AnnaFreshAir

2/3/16

Hi Wendy, and big congrats to you on almost 10 years!  Thanks for sharing and encouraging others with your message.  I 100% agree with you that the option of smoking has to be completely taken off the table if we are going to quit and stay quit.  There is no such thing as just one.  The answer is simply NO, NO, NO, and NOPE!!

Best wishes,

ModAndrea

2/3/16

Congratulations on closing in on 10 years, Wendy! Thank you for such a powerful message for all of us. Your post is very inspiring and insightful.

Hugs,

Andrea

ModDee

2/3/16

Hi Wendy,

It's great to see you,  and I'm glad to hear how well you're doing.    Congratulations on ten years, and thanks so much for stopping by to share your inspiring story.

(((Hugs)))

Dee

JoJoMn

2/3/16

Thanks for coming and sharing your journey to success.  The August Champions 2015 are so blessed to have you visit now, when we begin our celebration of our reaching our milestone of six months - arriving at the HalfWay House.

Jo 6*

~ Quit August 1, 2015 ~

Amdarc

2/3/16

Hi Wendy. It must be fantastic to be at the 10 year mark.  You must be so proud.

I hope your family aren't too sick - that must be so hard. I am hoping that some of my family will give up soon too. I'm sure they are watching to see how I go before they take the plunge. I've only just hit the one month mark so have a long way to go yet. Thanks for the inspiration. Hope I can post here on New Years Eve 2026

Cheers Anne-Marie 

Freedom '16 Noper

ModSue (VentasSue)

2/4/16

Hey Wendy

Congratulations and thank you so much for sharing with us after almost 10 years of being a non-smoker.  What an achievement and I know that every word you posted is and will help me in my determination never to smoke again a day at a time.  I'm only on my 25th Day but, already, I can feel the benefits and I feel very proud of myself.  Thank you again for taking time out to encourage us 'newcomers'  on this long and difficult, but so worthwhile, journey.

Sue

MomandNana

2/5/16

Hey Wendy!

Wow, your story is so inspiring! Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us. I'm one of the August Champions 2015, Jojomn mentioned and I gotta tell ya, I believe each and every one of us will be where you are with our continued hard work and determination.

Congratulations!

Kim 5*

Msg 1027.9 deleted

! ! ! CONGRATULATIONS Wendy on 10 years of freedom ! ! !

Something stuck with me reading your milestone.

Wendy Motsinger (WendyMotsing) said:

You have many tools to help you through cravings and use them but there is only one thing and one thing alone that will make you successful, for good, and that is a no tolerance policy.  You must decide to fight through each craving, whether your tools are helping or not.  You must decide the answer to any thought or craving of having one, is NO!!!!  Before you begin to think it, the answer is NO.  As soon as you start to think it, the answer is NO.  The answer is NO, NO, NO.  Relieve yourself of the burden of choice.  There is no choice.  THE ANSWER IS NO.

One of the things I have told myself is "smoking is no longer an option" and "no smoking is not negotiable". As you said, the answer is always 'no' regardless of  the situation and the more you say that the easier it becomes. Congrats on achieving ten years of freedom, for coming back and sharing your wisdom for all of us not as far along, and offering some great advice in the process.

Hugs, Jenn