About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Sheila's Quit Journal   Quit Stories and Journals

Started 3/16/16 by Sheilamz; 11296 views.
In reply toRe: msg 96
Sheilamz

Feb-12

The last time I wrote in this journal I had 10 months without a cigarette and I felt great. On February 3rd of this year, just about a week ago I had 4 years without a cigarette (or any nicotine products for that matter.)

I am amazed that it has been so long. I am thrilled that I have made it this far. I have high hopes for it to continue. 

I'm not going to lie. Some days (like a few times a year) I still think about it, but I fall back on the tools I learned here so long ago.  I think it through...about all the bad stuff that smoking brought - the smell, the shortness of breath, the sneaking around hiding it from my kids, the expense, the bad breath, the increase risk of cancer and heart disease and stroke, the wrinkles and dull skin on my face, the yellowing of the teeth, it goes on and on.  How could I ever choose to go back to those things on purpose after being free and clear of them for so long now? No way!  I'd be crazy to. 

So, I stay the course even when I think one drag or two sure would feel good. Because I learned another important lesson here and that is N.O.P.E.  Not One Puff Ever. Because you told me that all it takes it one puff to be hooked again; that just one puff can take me back to full time smoking in a matter of days.  It happens to people like me every day and I am not unique. I am no different. I cannot afford to risk even one puff. It's not worth it. 

I'm really happy to have 4 years and I just wanted to pop in because I was thinking about how much you all in this forum helped me quit. I would not have been able to do it without you. Thank you so much!

Also I needed to touch base here and read and write a journal entry because each year I get strongish cravings around my anniversary month. I think it's a body memory thing. I know what is going on so it is easy to deal with, but I still have to be on guard and do the work, like coming here, to stay smoke free. 

Wishing the best to everyone. Thanks for reading. Maybe I will see you around the forum. 

Quit Feb. 3, 2016

• Edited February 12, 2020 12:02 am  by  Sheilamz

CONGRATULATIONS Sheila!!!!!!!! It's hard to believe 4 years ago you started this journey. Just stay in touch and post in your quit journal as a reminder and a pledge to keep our NOPE pledge. Your post gives new quitters the hope that they can do this too. This pay it forward support has given freedom to countless people. I quit over 6 years ago and will never fall for it again because it's a trap and I sure wouldn't want that poison back in my life. Way to Go Sheila keep on NOPING every day along with all of us. Onto year 5 for you.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

l1717mary

Feb-12

Hi Sheila

Well done on 4 years quit. I am sure as a x smoker that we will always think about that one cig the main thing is we dont act on it because we dont want to go backwards. I hope that you still treat yourself be proud.

Mary 7-12-2018

Sheilamz

Feb-12

Thanks, Debbie!  Good luck in your 7th year. I'm so happy for both of us!

Sheilamz

Feb-12

Thanks, Mary!  That one cig thought does still sneak in there but I won't act on it for sure. Can't go back. No way!  Keep up what you're doing...we've got this!

cherbearquit

Feb-12

Congrats on 4 years! That is a great accomplishment! Thanks for sharing, because it’s posts like yours that give us who recently quit hope that things will get easier. Also thanks for keeping it real. That lets us know we will always have to keep our guard up. NOPE! Stay strong. Wishing you all the best!

Quit 12/6/19

Sheilamz

Mar-3

Thanks so much!  Hope you're making it through those first three months ok. They were the hardest for me. The last of those icky threes. Hang in there and best wishes to you too!

Eve1973

Mar-3

I absolutely loved your journal......it truly is inspirational.  Cherbear said it all, congrats on 4years, did you ever tell your kids or husband that you hid it from them?

Sheilamz

Mar-4

Thanks, Eve!  My husband always knew i smoked. My kids figured it out recently when the topic came up about when i quit smoking and I told them the year and they thought it was way earlier than 2016. They figured out I hid it from them then but are just so glad i don't do it any more now. And so am I!

Eve1973

Mar-4

Me too....Congrats again!