About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Tricky 8-11 Months   Quit Support

Started 8/26/15 by ModAndrea; 111087 views.
Winnetm

8/23/16

Oh my goodness!  Sorry I missed your five (5) month Anniversary!  Congrats Sue!  You are a very strong person and I know you can do this, Sue!

Teresa 11*

Quit 9/23/15

SueP (josep2001)

8/23/16

Thanks Teresa - Only made it with the help of everyone here on the forum. Without that support would have never made it.

Have a great day. See that it is not much longer and you will be at a year.

Sue quit 3/17/2016 starstarstarstarstar

Sue I had to bring this thread forward so that others going through those Tricky 8-11 Months can read through this entire thread to give them hope as well as just knowing this time can be tough too!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

SueP (josep2001)

10/17/16

Debbie, that is no problem. I am at 7 months today so almost ready for its words of wisdom. Will have to start reading it again.

Sue quit 3/17/2016  star X 7

Douglas8845

10/19/16

Good move Debbie, this thread was critical in my quit.  I so remember how at the 8 month mark the cravings came back.  All imaginary of course, but felt very real.  It helped me to look forward and see the end line.... the one year mark.  Nothing was going to stop me from  getting there.  Working on my 5th year now.

You're doing an amazing job supporting those that are struggling here.

Hi Douglas it's so great that you still pop in and encourage the new quitters. You and Still Standing Steve kept me on my road to success. I sure wanted to pass this forward to the new quitters. This 8-11 month period seemed like it took forever but looking back on it, I see now that this was when the largest changes occurred in my brain. This thread really helped encourage me to just hang in there till I was fully healed. I wish more long term quitters would participate because it really feels great when I see that some quitters stayed quit because of a few kind words that were spread around this forum at just the right time. 

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Gabbypup

10/21/16

Hi Deb

I am completing my 7th month and read this thread. Thank you for bringing it forward. It encourages me to remain strong with my quit. Reading that months 8-11 were when you noticed the changes in your brain really helped me. I have been having quit a battle with new anxiety since quitting and am praying for some relief. I swear the chemicals in cig change the chemical make up of brain and it needs to heal.  I have read quite a few posts from others that say anxiety is an issue when quitting so it's nice to know I am not alone.  Never had this anxiety when I smoked but will not ever smoke again. Just have to keep moving forward. 

We are doing this  

Cathy

3-25-16

• Edited October 21, 2016 12:46 am  by  Gabbypup
ModSue (VentasSue)

10/21/16

Hey Cathy

It's weird as I was just thinking about you yesterday and hoped that you were still around.  As you know, I've always identified with your feelings and the anxiety you've spoken about having during your quit.  I was the same and definitely not an anxious or nervous person while smoking, now, though, I am and I hate it. 

Luckily, as part of the pain relief for arthritis, amongst others I've been prescribed one tablet which, when I looked it up, is an anti-depressant, as well as a drug which suppresses the discomfort I get following the reconstructive surgery when I broke my ankle badly three years ago.  It felt like I had an army of ants crawling around under the skin at the bottom of my leg.   I never discussed feeling anxious with him but he does know how this arthritis had knocked my for six and that I was still suffering from the aftermath of quitting smoking.  Anyway, I take the tablet after dinner in the evening and, boy, do I sleep well.  I'm not sure if its the lovely sleep I'm getting or whether the 'little pill' is doing it but my anxiety has lessened so much that I'm now feeling quite content again. 

It's hard for me as I've always hated the idea of taking medication to 'mask' any problem - I like to talk about it, get to grips with the cause and sort it out.  That's what I've always done in difficult times.  However, in this case, partly because I know that the cause of my anxiety is due to the change in the chemicals in my brain because of nicotine deprivation which will lessen and disappear in time, and, partly, because the tablets weren't actually prescribed for depression - I feel OK taking them.  He's said that the agitation in my ankle probably will sort itself but it sometimes takes years!  I'm not even going to worry about that now, though.  It's just wonderful to feel good again.  Hubby is over the moon too, as I've been very, very difficult to live with for months and he feels he's got his wife back now. 

I'm definitely not saying that its a solution for you but just thought I'd let you know how I'm going as I've always felt our situations - age, marriage etc. are somewhat similar.

Hope you're OK and lovely to meet up with you again.

Big Hugs, Suestar2star2star2star2star2star2star2star2star2

Quit 11th January 2016

lm2015

10/21/16

Cathy,

Was wondering where you went.  Glad you are still with us.

That anxiety just takes hold and it's hard to get rid of it.  I'm glad you are still smoke free.

Stay with us and post once in a while so we know you're OK.

Laura

Gabbypup

10/21/16

Hi Sue

I am taking Cymbalta daily. Is that what you were prescribed?  It has really helped but like you I am against taking medication. I need to change my thinking.... It's ok to take medication for any health reason and I like you have been very difficult the last several months. I have gotten such relief of symptoms and can finally "exhale".  Maybe down the road I won't need it but for now it's a heck of a lot healthier then smoking!!!  I swear the anxiety is chemical in nature.  I honestly have nothing in my life to be anxious about. 

Its so good to hear from you. You sound great!,. Winter around the corner for us. Today hubby and I had a nice outting for "Fall Leaves Color Tour" and lovely dinner and stop at Christmas store. We purchased a beautiful angel with changing lights to place on our mantel.  48 degrees out and fireplace on. Love days like this. 

Take care and please keep in touch. 

Big Hugs 

Cathy 

PS. Wish we lived closer. I love to talk things out to!  We would be chatting for hours , days......  Lol. Bye!

• Edited October 21, 2016 6:47 pm  by  Gabbypup