About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Tricky 8-11 Months   Quit Support

Started 8/26/15 by ModAndrea; 116172 views.
DbAnne

6/24/20

It usually takes a few weeks for antidepressants to have a full effect.  How long have you been taking them?  If you have been on them for more than a month and they do not seem to be working, then go back to the doctor.  You may need a higher dosage.  Also, if you are grieving then its natural to feel some depression for awhile as I am sure you know.   

I've learned that grief takes all forms and sometimes, what feels like depression turns out to be a process of acceptance and a realignment of our priorities.   I have gone through this tunnel many times and I know it well. 

Try to be patient with yourself, and selfish with your self pampering. Try not to be hard on yourself if you are not 'feeling it' right now.  Eventually you will come back to yourself. 

I wish for your tranquil well being.             

SusanK1960

6/24/20

I was on Paxil XR and it was not working, which is why doctor is changing it up and adding seroquel. It has only been 5 days, but the lowering of dose and adding a booster seems to be helping, for now.

Thanks again for your understanding and advise.  I welcome it!

TinyBadger

6/24/20

I take some mental health medications, including an antidepressant and I feel like because I'm really stable now, it's helping my quit. Drugs are always tricky, you have to balance the good and the bad. What I will say is that while they do treat symptoms not the cause, people such as myself are unable to lead productive lives without them. I exercise,have pets, socialize with non-smokers, craft, am married and feel like I have a great life. However, that doesn't make me feel the way that I would like to feel and if a drug can help me achieve this, then I welcome it. Do I want to need mental health drugs? Absolutely not. Do I realize that they are helping me? Yes. I do not use zyban or chantix, they would interfere with my current medications. 

The point in this rambling is to say that in the past I quit smoking for 7 years. During the first 2 years of my quit I was miserable and depressed. I felt different than I had ever felt before and I hated it. That's when I reached for therapy and through that, I met a wonderful psych nurse and she was able to work with the therapist and myself to get me the meds I needed. I highly recommend therapy to everyone, it's changed my perspective on my life. A good therapist might be able to help you see, and maybe change some things. I use a cognative behavioral therapist, and she's great. I've learned a lot.

Lainie (elaineadele)

6/25/20

Susan,

I read your post and feel the same way.  I’m closing in on 10 months and am still dealing with depression, inability to concentrate, etc.  I thought all this would be over by now, but it’s not.  I need some wisdom right now too.  

alexisfree

7/2/20

Hi Susan, 

I love your transparency.  I believe it has helped all of us who have read and responded.  I sure know it helped me.  I just went thru a month of depression - over the state of the nation, the pandemic, the...everything.  It may also be due to the fact that I was reaching my 10 month mark.  Who knows!  But I didn't smoke.  I felt my feelings and now I'm out of the dark (for now).  I know that I may go dark again, but I know it will change to light again - that has been my experience.  :)  Here's a bit of my story...

I was completely free of one addiction for a year before I finally went to a therapist and doctor and got on medication.  I realized that I was using a substance to cope with life.  And it wasn't a healthy one.  Now, I take a healthy substance (i.e. medication) to help me out.  I used to hate it - there was that stigma in my mind that it was "bad" for me to be on medication.  I employed all sorts of tools to help me cope with life at that time - support groups, doctors, therapists, supportive family, and medication.  I got to a stable spot in my life and I quit smoking as well.  Started eating healthier and exercising (this is a HUGE help to my mental health - yay endorphins!!).  I was doing so well that my doctor decided to start weaning me off the medication (per my request).  It did not work out well for me personally - I relapsed on all the things - substance abuse, smoking, sugar/food.  So, I increased my medication back to the amount that was working for me.  And now I'm free of substance abuse, free of cigs, free of sugar addiction and food addiction and I exercise 5 days a week.  I love my life.  I have a husband and two beautiful daughters and a great support network (including Delphi!).

I'd also like to mention that I have a friend who has come off her medication and she's doing well.  She doesn't use substances or food as a crutch anymore and she is just using a JUUL right now. 

My point is...each person is different.  I would encourage you to seek out therapy if you haven't already.  Like someone already mentioned, cognitive behavioral therapy was a huge help to me.  I hope you find the right mix of support, medication (or not), therapy (or not), and any other tools you see fit to help you stay quit.  You're right - this isn't for sissies (like Debbie always says ;-) <3) but it is so doable.  Again, I thank you for your vulnerability - it has helped me to stay smoke free today.

Love and light! xoxo

Loreficent

7/2/20

Thank you both.

Im not there at that spot of 8-11 months yet, and am so hoping to make it and in this moment believe I will...but reading through this has been a tremendous support and validation for many reasons....

Thank you both. Your honesty and sharing has inspired me to take steps I think are needed for me at this time too! heart

CC to SusanK1960

Lainie, I'm right there with you.

Marge, yes, we grow weary. So #%^()*_)*)^###&^ weary.

For the entirety of month 9 I was dying for a cigarette. Weirdest thing, I powered through, whatever. 'S fine now.

TLDR for the rest: And then I find this thread, just in time, and now there's hope where there wasn't anything but despair. Thank you all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

But I haven't been able to sit still for more than two hours of work for the entire 10 months (ohheylook, that's today actually) and my poor little brain has pretty much trashed my life -- okay that's dramatic; I still have job, husband, and house, and some good has come of what I've lost -- trying to get noticed because IT NEEDS HELP.

From the reading I've done and a brilliant insight from a friend I suspect that, having had lifelong (and genetic) depression and after 23 years of smoking, nicotine was, biochemically speaking, THE thing propping up my psychological stability. And then I unceremoniously and even viciously kicked that prop right out from under my poor little brain. No professional support, not even a lick of understanding that it might mess me up this bad. I mean, it's just quitting smoking, lots of people do it. Put on your big girl panties and b**** up.

Oh, and did I mention that all happened 15 months after a minimal concussion? NO WONDER I went forgetting* crazy. Crazier. Enough to get over the stigma that's kept me off drugs for 15 years -- drugs that I maybe should have been on all along. And it's a fine time to dig in and maybe try to heal the lifelong issues, here in this desperate untethered scary space...

So I started bupropion three days ago. We shall see.

And then I find this thread, just in time, and now there's hope where there wasn't anything but despair. Hope that (even if I were still resisting the truth) there would be a light at the end of the tunnel. Hope that 4 to 6 more months of this hell /could/ be taken one day at a time. Hope that my brain can, in fact, heal.

So thank you all. So very, very much.

--<3 Meredith

SusanK1960

7/3/20

Congratulations on being smoke free another month, Meredith!  I have to believe each day, each week, and each month, we are getting closer to that light.  As “they” say, the struggle is real!  I hope the medication helps ease your journey as we keep our eyes on the prize.  I hope you take time to celebrate your achievement!  

slowblumer

7/3/20

Hi Meredith,

Your brain can heal, you must believe that.  Go on blind faith if you have to.  But I tell you if you dedicate one solid year to your quit you will never regret it.  The big problem comes along bout that 3rd miserable month.  I was sick of it all on my 3rd month anniversary and told my quit buddy Steve that everything was rotten and I felt like my life was upside down and I missed my old self > the addict.  In truth my brain was healing.

I started Bupropion one month before I quit.  It did help a little and I stayed on it for a full yr.

Note: I remember yrs ago having surgery on a foot and I asked my doctor when it will be back to how it was before the problem and he told me one solid year...one day at a time.

Keep going-you can do this.

Thank you for the encouragement, Marge.

I almost wish I'd hit my bottom at month 3...but hey, we get there when we get there and not a second before, eh? Three months, ten months, it's all the same -- you get what everyone gets, you get a lifetime...