About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

David_Z's Quit Journal   Quit Stories and Journals

Started 8/26/15 by Terry (abquitsmking); 2206 views.
In reply toRe: msg 20
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

8/26/15

June 25, 2013 3:48 am
Thanks Sis.

You are right about having more endurance since I quit smoking.    Not only did I not have the physical endurance, but after 45 minutes of any activity which precluded smoking I would be in serious need of a smoke break!

No more of that!   In between sets I didn't have to sneak off somewhere to have a cigarette.  I could just hang around and enjoy being with people.

To answer your question, I play drums.   I played congas for this gig.  I might decide to play a full drum set for future gigs.  I don't sing with this band, but I do like to sing, and I might sing backup vocals in the future.

I have played a drum set since I was about 14 years old, but have sometimes gone years without playing at all.

I don't think anyone took any videos of our performance. 

My first post:  105375.251
My reasons for quitting:  105851.1
Things that helped me quit:  106557.7
My Cooking Blog... creating a healthier lifestyle
Smoked last cigarette: Dec-26-2012, 1:00AM PST

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
Msg 157.22 deleted
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

8/26/15

July 12, 2013 3:05 am
Been awhile since I posted in my journal.    My wife and daughter returned home on Monday.   They have been visiting my wife's parents on the east coast for the past 3 weeks.    It was definitely an adjustment having them back.   

All of a sudden I have time constraints I didn't have when they were not here.   When I was living alone, I could stay at the office an extra 10 minutes or extend my workout by 5 minutes or not have dinner until 8 o'clock, if I didn't get around to it.    But when the family is here, then I have to think, ok I need to be home for dinner at 6 and it will take me 45 minutes to drive home and I have to pick up shirts at the cleaners which will take 10 minutes so I have to leave at 5:05pm at the latest and then oops, I forgot I need to put gas in the car so now I am 7 minutes late.   And every day is like that.    

Its a lot easier to eat healthy, get my workout in, and get enough sleep when I don't have those kind of time constraints every single day.  Somehow, I forgot that I had been living with these minute by minute deadlines just a few weeks ago, but it came rushing back to me on Tuesday.

Also on Tuesday, my wife was annoyed that I had to go into the office instead of working from home and she couldn't sleep the night before because the neighbors dogs had been barking and then when I got home she told me she thinks there's a strange smell in the house and we need to get air conditioning and there are too many weeds in the back yard and it was too much for me and I got really bummed out... and I just wanted to go outside and smoke!

I realized, that's what I used to do when I felt like I was feeling on Tuesday night.  I was sad and angry and thinking about how nobody had complained about anything to me for the past 3 weeks and what I used to do when I felt down like that was go outside and stuff those feelings and then try to incinerate them through smoking. 

Although I had a strong desire to smoke Tuesday night, what I did instead was I told my wife that I was upset and we talked about it.   I wasn't as dispassionate as that, but what I said did lead to a conversation.   We didn't come to any new understanding but I did feel a lot better just getting it off my chest instead of trying to keep it all inside and that in itself is a kind of breakthrough I guess.

I realized that when my wife complains about something, I try to fix it.   I want to fix the thing that is causing her problems whether its shooting the dog or remodeling the house or whatever.   But, its kind of her nature to just complain about stuff sometimes and I don't have to address every complaint.  In fact, I don't really have the time or resources.   Maybe, trying to fix everything for everyone is a way of trying to control things to create an emotionally safe world for myself. 

It does seem that when I try
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

8/26/15

July 13, 2013 3:00 pm
Hi Stefanie,

Thanks.   You all helped me see things in a new way and last night I had another talk with my wife.   She explained that when she complains about things she doesn't really mean that she wants me to do something about it.   Like Kate said, its just her way of talking and relating.

So, I told her she can complain to me whenever she wants and that if she can't complain to me who can she complain to!   (sound familiar)

My wife said that when its something she actually wants me to do something about, she will let me know.

Well, I feel better today.

David

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 24
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

8/26/15

July 27, 2013 2:22 am
Hi Sue,

I work for a small company and most of the other smokers I see work for other companies in the same office building.   Out of the 100 people in the company I work for, there are 3 smokers and 2 ex-smokers.   I told 2 of the 3 smokers that I had quit and I told them about this forum.   They didn't seem very interested.

There might be a few more closet smokers.   So, it might be has much as 5% of the people at my company smoke.   Nationally, in the United States, 19% of adults smoke.  But in the high-tech industry in Silicon Valley, 5% or less seems to be the norm.

Despite the fact, that there isn't much of audience for smoking cessation material among my co-workers, I am pretty sure the other 2 or 3 smokers at work would not appreciate me drawing more attention to their addiction through any kind of mass communique to the work force. 

David

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 25
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

8/26/15

August 8, 2013 10:29 am
David, 
Now your wife can tell you you're full of hot air again! :P 

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing!!! 

Stefanie 
 photo star_zpsd75f2865.jpg
photo dogtaglogo.jpg

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 26
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

8/26/15

August 18, 2013 4:02 am
7 months, 3 weeks, and 1 day since my last cigarette!

I spent the day today (Saturday) at work.   There was some lab work I needed to complete.   I got my work done and when I got home my wife had delicious shrimp tacos ready for dinner.  Yum!

After dinner I went off to the gym to get a work out in before the gym closed.  I have parenting duties all day on Sunday so I probably won't have time to work out on Sunday.

I have been alternating between three different work outs:   30 minutes of pilates, 15 minutes of rowing, 20 minutes of weights is one work out, another is a one mile swim, and the third work out is a 3 mile run broken up into two 1.5 mile runs (about 15 minutes each).   I try to do a different work out each day.   

Until recently, the run was the workout which was the most difficult in terms of getting over my own mental resistance and having to push myself.  But lately, I have really been enjoying the run.

Tonight was the run and I ran 3.1 miles as one run without stopping!   This is the farthest I have run without stopping in more than 20 years!    3.1 miles is a 5k and I ran it in exactly 30 minutes.   Not blazingly fast or anything.

I know my lungs have more capacity than they did when I started running back in April.   I can breath more deeply and I can take more steps per breath when I am running.   I am really happy about this because, when I started running I could feel how much lung capacity I had lost compared to when I used to run many years ago.    I wondered if I would ever get any of that capacity back... and I know now that I have.   Its really really wonderful.

Thanks for reading.

David

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 27
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

8/26/15

August 31, 2013 8:09 am
David,

It is so difficult not to think about smoking when almost everything I did, I did with a smoke hanging from my mouth. Basicly life is a trigger, I keep telling myself no, not today. I do hope it gets better with time because at month 4-5 I'm going on another cruise. I don't want the addictive behavior to kick in again. I guess I shouldn't think that far in the future, just for today. thanks for the response.

Patti

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 28
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

8/26/15

105851.271(271 of 381)
Replied to: IamSan
September 10, 2013 2:32 pm
Douglas

Thanks for the feedback San,

My wife and I are going to check it out today to see what we think.  We are in relatively good shape, but as you said, the workout is very intense.  I don't think I'll drop dead in the gym but I don't want to get hurt either.

My daughter is very optimistic that we'll have no problem, so I am inclined to give it a shot.

Thanks again and I'll let you guys know how it went.

#1 photo 1-2.jpg

Douglas
Quit on Monday, July 23rd,2012 at 6:26 PM

My Quit Journal: 
  After the Quit - The ongoing process

105851.272(272 of 381)
Replied to: Douglas
September 10, 2013 2:37 pm
IamSan

Douglas, If I remember correctly David referred to being able to run for 2 miles (I think) without stopping as "A Douglas" LOL. And I know from reading your journal that he is referring to you. So I really think you will have no issues. Let me know how it goes. Enjoy and good luck once again. San
Quit December 7, 2012 - Cold Turkey

105851.273(273 of 381)
Replied to: 105851.266
September 13, 2013 4:51 pm
david_z

8 months, 2 weeks, a
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 29
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

8/26/15

105851.281(281 of 381)
Replied to: 105851.280
September 25, 2013 3:13 am
david_z

The end of a long day is drawing near.   After work I stopped by the grocery store, and came home and cooked dinner.   After dinner I helped my daughter with a puppet show she is performing tomorrow at a fundraising event.   Then I did the dishes, put my daughter to bed, packed her lunch and my lunch for tomorrow, and made a couple of batches of hummus for the pot luck at the fundraiser.

Other than making food for the pot luck, this is a pretty typical Tuesday evening for me.   Last night (Monday night) I had band practice and then we went out for a beer afterwards.   Since I have been watching the calories, I had one bud light.   Afterwards, we were standing outside talking before heading to our cars and then home, and I had that feeling like something was missing and then it hit me that what was missing was a cigarette.   

We had been standing out there for probably a half hour.   Its been a long time since I stood around outside of a bar for a half hour talking with people.  I was really enjoying the conversation and I always enjoyed smoking during moments like that.   I had this thought, like "oh, I wish I could smoke right now."  But I didn't smoke and 15 seconds later the feeling was gone and I didn't think about it again until just now.

David 

105851.282(282 of 381)
Replied to: david_z
September 25, 2013 9:25 am
Rick

That's great David. I am so happy that smoking only goes on outside now. I can see how it makes socializing so much easier. I'm glad that you handled that moment so well.
 ***Free for today and everyday. If we take it one day at a time. ***

photo 3d24bb83-f1b8-41ce-94f4-fb795192222e.jpg   

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message