About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

David_Z's Quit Journal   Quit Stories and Journals

Started 8/26/15 by Terry (abquitsmking); 2219 views.
In reply toRe: msg 30
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

8/26/15

October 14, 2013 4:00 am
Hi Rick,

Thanks for checking in on me.  I am doing well and still smoke free.   I have been trying to make some life changes around how I use my time.   I have been able to do some things I have been wanting to do for a long time, but the changes I made gave me less time to visit this forum.   I actually set aside some time to visit the forum, but the time got bumped for other unplanned events.   

Hopefully, I will do better this week and you will see me around.   Glad to see you are still going stong!

David 

My first post:  105375.251
My reasons for quitting:  105851.1
Things that helped me quit:  106557.7
My Cooking Blog... creating a healthier lifestyle
Smoked last cigarette: Dec-26-2012, 1:00AM PST

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 31
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

8/27/15

November 5, 2013 11:32 am
David that is a magnificent achievement !!! 
Quitting smoking sure disciplined you - I need to do the same once I get this routine under better control. Your goals are being reached. Yes swimming for a long period of time is something I also wish to accomplish. 1.5 mile swim sounds incredible, and rowing for 20 minutes that is so hard to keep up I had to use a rowing machine as part of my gym routine and 10 minutes was as long as I could go. The free weights build muscles and Pilates helps condition those muscles the whole package has worked to make you into a buff young man again good for you! I bet you feel great!! Congratulations on your wonderful new life.
Quit poisoning myself Sept 27 2013

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 32
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

8/27/15

November 15, 2013 12:47 am
Thank you Rhona.

I do feel very fortunate to be surrounded by such natural beauty.

David

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 33
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

8/27/15

November 23, 2013 1:31 pm
You're observation on the birds of the bay area have reminded me of a show that I saw several years ago David. It seems that a team of archeologists and naturalists studied the bay area together for a while. they came to the conclusion that in the era before European ( Spanish/Mexican)  colonization that the bay area almost certainly had the highest population density for both native Americans and birds, both permanent and migratory, in all of California.

Thanks again for the video. It was quite relaxing. I do wish that there was a salt marsh near me, but I am too far inland. I am really grateful that you have shared these discoveries form your journey with us.

Thanks again,

Rick

***Free for today and everyday. If we take it one day at a time. ***

photo 3d24bb83-f1b8-41ce-94f4-fb795192222e.jpg   

photo Mayweneverlookback2013_zps8396e6ac.jpg

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 34
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

8/27/15

January 5, 2014 7:47 am
Thank you for this post.  This is exactly what I have been thinking about lately and it has been laying me low.  However, your post lifted me up and I am now thinking about what I can do with the time I have left.  What a difference a post can make.  Congratulations on the key!  My best, Lil
photo 55fe482e-8115-410d-8a9d-6180f7738612.jpg                         photo lil11.gif
Joined others in the non-smoking section on 2/2/13 4:30 PM. Now I am a happy and proud member of the Feb-Nic-Kickers 2013.

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 35
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

8/27/15

February 20, 2014 2:25 am
Hi Deb,

How are you doing?   Hope all is well with you.  I haven't been around the forum too much lately.

I got through some strong urges to smoke in January and was doing really well and then I have struggled this week.   Earlier in the week I wanted to smoke so bad I could taste it and I imagined myself driving to the gas station to buy a pack of cigarettes.   

But I didn't and of course I am glad I didn't smoke.

David

photo skull_and_crossbones_key_mm_sm_zpsd08092ce.jpg

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 36
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

8/27/15

February 22, 2014 4:10 pm
Hi Rick,

Thanks for sharing your job search experience with me.   I feel a lot better today than I did a few days ago.    It seems like things are tight this quarter in my industry and hiring has slowed a bit.   It is hard to stand out when the only form of communication available is a couple of sheets of paper that no one really feels they have time to read.

I am pretty sure that the 80% of the problem is simply the people doing the hiring not feeling like they have the time or focus to really look at resumes.  I think its just much easier to bring in people based on recommendations or people they know than to spend time interviewing somebody they don't know which is more than likely not going to turn out anyway.

I  find that it does really help to talk about this with other people who understands stressful and discouraging the process can be.   So, I really do appreciate your thoughts on this subject.

Please keep me in your thoughts and I will do the same for you.

David 

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 37
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

8/27/15

March 8, 2014 7:11 pm
David - I have been lurking and hoping that good news would be coming your way.  Congratulations!!!!  What wonderful news!  Will you be working from home?  Or do you live near the company?

I can't imagine the weight that has been lifted off your shoulders.  Life is good :)
                                   photo 40e61f3a-4733-451b-a489-ae5998a88ca1_zps0c62b92b.jpg

The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new. Socrates

Proud member of the March '13 Henhouse      

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 38
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

8/27/15

October 22, 2014 1:13 pm
Dave! Good to hear from you.... Glad you're still smoke free as am I.
 Douglas
     #1 photo 1-2.jpg

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 39
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

8/27/15

October 29, 2014 12:31 pm

Wow, had a really terrible Sunday evening.   I was cooking dinner for the family, my wife was cleaning up around the house and was very grumpy about it, she and our daughter, Sofie, got into an argument about cleaning stuff up, Sofie apparently then said something that offended my wife, so my wife got very angry and made Sofie work on her homework, Sofie came into the kitchen already in tears demanding that I help her find a compass for her math homework, I was trying to make dinner, I couldn't really hear everything that was going on, I tried to ask my daughter when she needed the compass, she started crying and I couldn't understand what she was trying to say, I was very frustrated and screamed at her to "TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT!"    Of course, now the whole point of the family dinner has been completely subverted.   My wife later came in the kitchen and said I really upset everyone by my outburst, so I am the bad guy.   

I felt terrible and angry and upset and when I have moments like this, I just want something, anything that will give me some relief.   Of course, the desire for a cigarette is there in those moments.   I can't really call it a craving because its not like I want one so bad that I have to deny myself a cigarette.   The desire for relief is there and very strong, but I am so clear that smoking will not provide that relief and for that I am actually very thankful.

As a smoker, I would always turn to smoking in moments like this.   As a non-smoker, I have learned that I can get through times like this without having to smoke.   And it usually doesn't actually take that long, just a few minutes really, to get to a much calmer place.   In fact, I think I probably get to a more rational place about things more quickly as a non-smoker.  

Later that night, I apologized to my daughter for my outburst.   I hope that makes a difference for her.  

Thanks for reading.

David

My reasons for quitting:  
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message