About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)|Verywell.com Smoking Cessation

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussion

My new journey with the big C   Quit Stories and Journals

Started Nov-11 by Rich (lexx0); 8394 views.
In reply toRe: msg 105
Rich (lexx0)

Dec-15

Dear entry, well today sucked.  Just got home from a 'good' blood test and as soon as I got in the door the hospital called and said I was emergency low on Potassium and have to go back out to the pharmacy and get huge power pills then go back in tomorrow for a 2hour potassium infusion, then back again Monday for a blood test, then back again Thur for a chemo session.  I've hardly not been in the hospital since I found out about this C.  Gads the poor children that have come before me, what a tragic loss of childhood to be in the hospital all the time.  Oh well, such is life, just reporting the facts as they pop up.  No sense in getting over the flu when I get a chance to triple the exposure again this week to another one ;p

Rich

SueP (josep2001)

Dec-16

Rich - Sorry to hear that you are having to have more hospital visits and as you say triple exposure to germs. At least now they will know to have you continue the potassium or restart it at a certain point. after the chemo. Learning curve for all as everyone is different. At least they are stying on top of things.

Rest and relax between trips.....Sue quit 3/17/2016  star X 8

Rich (lexx0)

Dec-16

Thanks sweetie, took 3hours plus just for potassium, its not a quick procedure, I think my port is squeezed and just barely works.  Go back Monday for a blood test, then Thurs for chemo #2's treatment.  Cross fingers it doesn't me me flu'ish through Christmas.

Rich

In reply toRe: msg 108
Rich (lexx0)

Dec-16

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-12-blood-cheaper-doctors-lung-cancer.html

New blood test for lung cancer.  As I get these things I'll post them here for everyone.  Looks promising but I haven't read the link yet.

Rich

SueP (josep2001)

Dec-16

No Rich - don't think your port is the problem. I am a retired RN and know potassium has to be given slowly or it will burn out your vein/artery and would be very painful infusion if given fast. Know would have been nice if could have been in and out fast but would have not been doing you any favor to do so.

Hope your blood work on Monday is OK and chemo goes OK Thursday so you feel decent for Christmas. Fingers crossed for you.

Sue quit 3/17/2016  star X 8

Rich (lexx0)

Dec-16

Thanks Sue, wife told me the same thing.  Have a great weekend!

Rich

SueP (josep2001)

Dec-16

You also Rich.

I have added a P to be SueP - we have 3 Sue's right now and we are getting confused as to who is who. So there is also SueUK and then just Sue (VentaSue)

SueP quit 3/17/2016  star X 8

In reply toRe: msg 112
Rich (lexx0)

Dec-20

My potassium is back to normal, even marked as high although they didn't tell me to quit taking the rest of the bottle.  Next chemo is Thurs, with any luck the metal taste will hold off until Sunday since I'm cooking Christmas on Saturday this year.  I also have a graphic for people on the fence about quitting, or for any life changing decision for that matter.  Take it as I give it, a starting point.

Rich

SueP (josep2001)

Dec-20

Hi Rich - well one more day and then back for chemo which I hope goes smoothly for you. Are you sure you are going to be up to cooking Christmas dinner on Saturday - that will be 3rd day post chemo. Hope you are not doing anything fancy. Not sure I would be up for it. Of course I am not a cook by any stretch of the imagination, so after chemo would probably be a disaster for sure.

As far as where I am on those steps - I think I can say I am near the top - either I can do it or I will do it, not sure at what point can safely say I did it or of every get to that point.

Hope you have a good day tomorrow and then chemo goes OK.

Thinking of you.......SueP quit 3/17/2016  star X 9evergreen_tree

Rich (lexx0)

Dec-20

Oh SueP last chemo I felt good for 3 days, then metal taste 4th day along with the flu, I have a cold now, I hope that doesn't magnify.  I had planned on a full Christmas dinner, bought a ham and turkey breast and all the fixings and two pies.  My wife can't cook so its me or frozen food ;p  Last meal she made me she left the flavor packet out of the raman noodles and lol, and drained all the liquid out, it was pretty bad, I'll gladly cook.  Last time I also cooked a beef roast on the 3rd day, just want to get through Christmas with some leftovers so she doesn't have to cook much for me ;D

Seeya later

Rich