About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

My new journey with the big C   Quit Stories and Journals

Started 11/11/16 by Rich (lexx0); 196436 views.
Douglas8845

11/16/16

Looking good Dee!!

Douglas8845

11/16/16

Now they tell us that the cilia at the top of the lungs get destroyed.  I can believe it but was under the impression that what happened was that they were covered in tar and whatnot.  Once covered they could not move back and forth, cleaning up the pathways.  But when we quit, slowly but surely they start recovering and moving again, cleaning up the mess.  

To be honest, after I quit I never coughed up much junk so maybe it's still all there... on the other hand, I still jog and play volleyball so who knows what's going on.

Rich (lexx0)

11/16/16

Your probably in good shape, but I could breathe and run up steps two years ago, not last year though ;p  I have a feeling this isn't a cut and dry cause, I'll ask more questions of the oncologist tomorrow.  My patient record portal said it could be caused by gastro gurd, I've had gurd issues since right after quitting.  Back then I smoked, not eat much.  Its a who knows at this point. The patient results are posted for me to read but they are too scientific for me to understand.  My hair dresser gave me a nice hair cut tonight so it won't feel so wierd to lose hair.  She read this journal and told me I should be a writer ;D  I cross posted this to facebook so I'm glad people can read here without an account, makes this a good forum parking spot.  More when I know it friend.

Rich

ModDee

11/16/16

Didn't we all at that age LOL. 

Thanks!

(((Hugs)))

Rich (lexx0)

11/16/16

OH for what its worth, my dad had open heart surgery in 80' was a heavy camels smoker, he said they massaged his lungs to loosen the tar, etc within them, when his chest was open and made him cough out all the tar he'd accumulated over the years, he was 38 then!  When he woke up he had to cough all that crap out with a cracked breastbone, omg, it still gives me the willies and I just kept smoking ;(

Douglas8845

11/17/16

"The patient results are posted for me to read but they are too scientific for me to understand. "

That's so funny!  I was looking at my portal two days ago and could only feel a swarm of question marks zinging around my head... I asked myself...WTF?????

Rich (lexx0)

11/18/16

Yah its confusing. The real lesson here is don't smoke, quit smoking if you are, if your having setbacks, start again tomorrow, google creative ways to quit, creative ways to destroy cigarettes. Use your inner funny to beat the inner addiction and QUIT lying to yourself, a 'last' vice as I called mine could of cost me my life.  I don't have A great life, but one I felt as a good patriotic American and a good neighbor although my house does need painted on 3 sides ;p  After this is over I'm buying another motorcycle.  Cannot let fear dictate your life, cannot allow an addiction to push you around and rob you of your economic freedom.

Rich

In reply toRe: msg 45
Rich (lexx0)

11/18/16

Ok journal, its time for an update, sit back and get some popcorn, its going to be good.  Ok, saw the oncologist yesterday he told me I have blahbalhblah 2a and the original mass of blahblahblah stage 3, both are in his opinion non small cell strains.  heh, I may later edit the blah's but there are dozens of tech terms my brain can't cope with yet.  Anyway he's cooking up a batch of chemo that works on those two, tech 2 diff chems in the same dose.  Dec 1 first one, then 3 weeks the next, and 3 weeks the last. Yes, last, only 3 shots then surgery, its the only way to cure this type of cancer.  I already signed up for the cancer study saying they could take extra blood and tissue, if there is any asbestos then they would refer it to authorities, use the rest for sci fi studies.  So I'm guess mid Jan I'll go in and they are taking the top of my lung, silly me, I thought they could just pluck out the bad, no its like any cancer you lose the damaged part of the organ so hopefully it won't spread that way. Guess that makes sense, they don't just remove the lump in a breast or liver, duh.  See, educational.  I'll know more next Tues when I see the surgeon but folks its just stupid to keep smoking after you've read my words!  I promised never to be a hypocrite.  This month I take it back, this is an evil addiction, as bad as any of the other life altering drugs out on the streets.  REmember, when you quit you stuff it to the taxman too, in many cases the tax on cigarettes is double what the tobacco companies make!  If I was a lawmaker I wouldn't outlaw tobacco though, but I would outlaw any and all the extra substances they stuff into them to make them taste better and make you more addicted to them, natural tobacco is the worst kind of nasty ;p  Take it from someone that used to pick and hang tobacco in Ohio.  As a smoker then I could'nt smoke that crap right out of the field.  That wasn't even a first cig cough memory.  You can but small doses in a pipe like the indians that gave it to Europe.  Anyway just quit, the nic isn't worth it.  Later folks!

Rich

Douglas8845

11/18/16

Haha, I get the bla bla bla part...totally incomprehensible ... to funny, as was the donation to Sci first.

If I understand some of the blahs, the nonsmall cell news is good right?

And otherwise, how are you feeling?  Can you still think straight?  

Rich (lexx0)

11/18/16

You laughed at my writing so the brain is good ;D  Small cell is the bad stuff, or at least my wife said by looking everything up. She went with me and kept asking questions ;p

Yah, I'm in good spirits but shesh I have no idea whats ahead surgery wise.  Forgot to ask yesterday the causes but the wife kept sidetracking me.  Live together for a few decades and you can bicker.  She is just uber worried, I'll give her some slack ;D  I saw Anna's pic from the internet, she gets to come home today, so that was 4 days for her top lobe.  Seeya mate!

Rich