About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)|Verywell.com Smoking Cessation

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussion

Welcome January 2017 Ex-Smokers   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Dec-31 by ModAndrea; 32282 views. (Closed)(Closed to new replies)
ModAndrea

Dec-31

Welcome New Ex-Smokers

~*^*~

Congratulations on taking that all important first step with cessation - putting that last cigarette out and getting started.

Chances are you don't feel 'ready' to quit and you're experiencing a mixture of sadness, loss, anger and fear, wondering how on earth you're going to make it through the next few hours, let alone the next few days, smoke-free.

Relax.

You have found the best quit aid on the planet - this forum community.

The folks here know what you're going through because we've all been through it ourselves. We are committed to supporting you every step of the way, so park yourself in front of your computer and read everything you can on this forum board, and elsewhere on the site and internet.

Below are a few articles to get you started:

~*^*~

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
jia6221

Jan-1

Hi everyone,

I just ended a two month two days quit by smoking two cigarettes each day.I wanna stay smoke free and want to be free of this addiction.I was in the July group.There too I had a quit of three months and three weeks broken by a few cigarettes. It pains me so much to lose a quit when I put so much effort into one.I desperately need the support of my forum family as I don't want to smoke anymore and be free of this nasty addiction.

Hi Jia,

I am so happy to see you back for the new year.  You know the drill already:)  I will be  cheering you on everyday, along with Andrea and the others.  Hope you are well and the class you were taking is over?   This can be your freedom 20017:)

jia6221

Jan-1

Thanks Marge :)

I sure have missed you all.Right now I am having intense cravings to go to the store and get cigarettes.There are just a few hours in between my  last cigarette and I already feel like I am losing my mind.I have cried buckets over my relapse.Just wish these constant craves would go away.

I wanted to know would I have as intense craves after smoking for two days as I would if I had been smoking for a longer period. 

Hi Jia,

Nicotine withdraw occurs whether you smoked 2 a day or 20 a day.  It's an awful addiction but we are all different.  The physical withdraw is intense but mostly out of our systems in 3 or so days but the rest, the mental and emotional that's where it's really stuck.  Our brains need to heal.   Did you see your doctor before you began, and any NRT?

Markcan

Jan-1

Hi,

I really believe the mantra not one puff ever is the only way to get past cravings, I have also stopped in the past for months but broke the rule (normally after a few drinks). Nicotine is so addictive and the memory of the high it gives is seems to etch itself into the brain.

My Father quit 32 years ago and although the cravings have gone he still occasionally has a dream that he has smoked a cigarette and wakes up with an amazing sense of relief that he hasn't caved!

It seems subconsciously Nicotine is haunting the back of his mind.

I truly believe this is my lifetime quit effort & I wish you the best of luck with yours.

Mark

Quit 2nd Dec 2016

jia6221

Jan-1

Yes Marge I have been to my doctor yesterday. The craves are gone for now as I just came back from a walk.My mom is really helping me out.I remember that once you told me what will happen afterwards I smoke and I applied that.I thought I would be moping around discouraged paying no attention to my surroundings and be like that for three four hours and then go get another. That set my mind straight that what am I gonna get from this ,it's like mortgaging my life for a stick.I am not using NRT's ,I didn't have a good experience with the gum and patches are not available here.I did it cold turkey in my last quit too and I found that more easier for me.   

jia6221

Jan-1

Thankyou so much Markcan .I am going to try my level best to make this my lasting quit.

free_janet

Jan-1

Hi Jia heart

I'm so glad to see you and welcome back!  Marge makes an excellent point when she writes about how nicotine withdraw occurs whether you smoked 2 a day or 20 a day.  I relapsed in my second month and despite only smoking a few cigarettes, I still experienced painful withdrawals and the first week was the absolute worst for me.  I was in tears too and so mad at myself.  After I was able to get past the awful first couple weeks, it did ease up for me and wasn't as painful as the initial quit a month earlier.  Hopefully, you will have a similar or better experience.  Happy New Year!

Hugs,

Janet

ModAndrea

Jan-1

Hi, Jia! Congratulations on your decision to reclaim your freedom from smoking. 

One thing that helped me move forward was to take a look at what I told myself before I lit the cigarette up that ended the quit. I realized then that I needed to change how I looked at smoking and my mental responses to junkie thinking.

You can do this, Jia! I'm glad you're here. blush

Hugs,

Andrea