About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)|Verywell.com Smoking Cessation

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussion

Decemberenders 2016   Quit Buddies Unite

Started Jan-1 by ModMarge (slowblumer); 3158 views.

Greetings Decemberenders 2016 Group!

Welcome to your kickoff buddy group thread! This is a place for you to continue to get quit help, information and just hang out and get to know one another.

As we like to say around here, an educated quit is a successful quit - so keep reading and absorb everything you can on this site, the forum and elsewhere around the web. Arm yourself with knowledge and it will help you start the work of changing your relationship with your old smoking habit. Once you do that, you are on your way.

Settle in and get comfortable. This is your home base, but as always, the entire forum is here for you. ;-)

((((( Decemberenders 2016)))))

Hugs to all of you.

Hi Marge and Everybody

I'm just going shopping to buy rugs and cushions for our new home.

It should be nice and cosy by the time you all arrive later.

Hope everyone is ok and fighting those craves.

Speak later

Sue uk quit 26.11.16

Hi Sue,

I am so glad you like your new home. It already feels cosy since you found it.  I think you guys could use a 'relaxation room', like this one and a meditation pool.  

In reply toRe: msg 1
VentasSue

Jan-3

Hey, all you 'Decemberenders 2016'

I love your new name and your beautiful home here.  I'm sure you'll all be very happy and comfortable with a refuge like this to relax in.

I've already met a few of you but hope to get to know more of you in the next few weeks.  Although I've been quit for almost a year, I can remember so well how difficult the early weeks and months were.  As I had smoked for a long time - 52 years - and always very heavily, I have to admit that it took me a long time to feel peace for any length of time.  I would get the odd glimpse every so often, though, and it was that which kept me going.  Well, that and my stubborn determination - when I say I'm going to do something, I do it even if it near kills me.  However, quitting smoking didn't near kill me - I truly think, now, that it is giving me a new kind of life.

I went through spells when I felt that I would never feel at ease again - all the usual feelings of confusion, lethargy, swings of emotion, crying, angry, critical of everything and everyone  - nothing was right and I just hated everything including myself.  As Andrea once put it - I just wanted to bite someone!!  However, I hung on tightly to my one consolation - I was not smoking.  I tried so hard to be patient as that was what everyone said I needed to be.  Me and patience don't seem to go together though so I had to break the tough times down into a minute/hour/day/week at a time and I had to distract myself (often by reading posts here) constantly so that I didn't give in to the craves when they came.  Anniversaries meant the world to me and I would just about burst with pride at each milestone that I reached.  OK, it was hard but I knew that it would be worth it and it is.

The past few weeks have truly been the best of my quit - hardly any craves and, when I've come across a new trigger, I may have thought of a cigarette, but its just been a fleeting thought.  I just don't want to smoke now.  I've fully accepted that cigarettes are my enemy and not my prop or my friend as I'd believed they were when I smoked. 

Now that my brain is just about getting back to normal - I haven't had a horrible, down period now for some time - I'm starting to appreciate some extra benefits to those I had dreamed of and put on my 'Reasons to Quit' list.  During my quit, I began to feel more sure of myself.  I realised that I could be right once in a while and I didn't have to please others all the time.  I also noticed that people seemed to be treating me with more respect - maybe because I wasn't cocooned in a cloud of smoke but also, I think, because I could respect myself.  I was being taken more seriously, somehow.  Also, we've been a few parties and dinners over the Christmas period and I realised that I had never laughed as much, joined in the fun or enjoyed myself as much at social events as I have done this year.  I didn't understand this and just thought that, maybe, they had been particularly good parties and I'd been with particularly good friends.  It probably was partly due to this but I now think that it was also largely due to a reason Marge suggested.  In the past when I'd been at a party, I was always worrying about when I could smoke my next cigarette.  Even while smoking, I would be thinking about the next 'fix' I could get.  I just couldn't relax so I didn't fully participate in conversations or jokes like other people.  Now I can and I really have fun.

When I was a teenager, I had two choices.  I could have lived my life smoke-free and protect my health, have more money, feel clean, have more self-respect etc. etc. but I chose (of my own free will) to smoke and endanger my health, waste a good part of my hard-earned cash and never allow myself my full potential to be 'myself'.  Luckily, I have reversed that choice now and, even though I'm getting old in years, I know that I have given myself the greatest gift I possibly could - to quit smoking.

Do use this group and all your Quit Buddies (of which I would love to be an honorary member if you can put up with my waffling!).  Here no-one judges us and everyone knows just what we are talking about because we've all been there.  Read and post often and get all the rubbish and anguish out.  Do whatever you need to do and as often as you need to do it - just don't smoke a minute/hour/ day/week at a time and very soon you'll be looking back, wondering what all the fuss was about and so very, very glad that you hung on and kicked this awful addiction.

You can do this.

Big Hugs, Suestar2star2star2star2star2star2star2star2star2star2star2

Quit 11th January 2016

Elena (elgdec2016)

Jan-3

Wow, Marge! That is a really nice meditation pool! 

It's nice our new home! 

Elena

Elena (elgdec2016)

Jan-3

Thank you Sue for your heartwarming letter to us toddlers in the path of quitting! :-)

I am having bad days... emotionally difficult. But I actually feel like I am growing, I really feel that all these are challenges that will make me stronger and wiser. I needed to live these in order to be better. I don't know how to explain it. But I feel a spiritual growth. So in the end I am sad and angry and horrible but grateful. 

Thank so much for being here, together with all the other wonderful people of the forum.

Elena

BlueDahlia29

Jan-3

Hi Elena and Bev just wanted to let you both know that I made it through last night, I ended up going to bed which was the best thing I could've done.  Bev I am using the lozenges again.  Elena thanks for the tip on being still and observing the wave instead of fighting it, will try that next time I get a strong urge to smoke.  Wishing all the Decemberenders a fantastic smoke free day!

Hi Elena,

The first several months of your quit can feel like you are in emotional turmoil.  It's a roller coaster ride of feelings and mental battle.  If you can take it one day at a time, you will never regret the anguish you are going through right now.    The benefits are so more than just kicking that monkey off your back.   You will be a new person in many ways.  

Will I Always Miss Smoking?

Bev_1977

Jan-3

Blue,

I'm so glad you held on. Nothing wrong with just going to bed. You woke up a nonsmoker and that is wonderful. 

How are you feeling today?

Bev

star

Quit November 12, 2016

One month, three weeks, 16 hours, 21 minutes and 15 seconds. 1033 cigarettes not smoked, saving $311.12. Life saved: 3 days, 14 hours, 5 minutes.

SueP (josep2001)

Jan-3

Hi Elena and all of the rest of you Decemberenders 2016 - wow say that fast 3 times - had to look to check the spelling. Looks like you have all made it here to your new home and looks nice.

As Elena has found out, and am sure others also, that your quit will find all kinds of days and emotions. There will be good days, some pretty good days and some down right not good.  Your journey is a roller coaster, so hang on, it will be worth it..... and the good days will get more prevalent as time goes on.

Most of my days at this point are good ones - even people who never smoked will have some not so good days, or worse, in their lives.

Hope you are have a good day.

SueP quit 3/17/2016  star X 9