About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

August Ash Kickers 2017   Quit Buddies Unite

Started Sep-3 by ModSue (VentasSue); 15401 views.
Jake Frood

Nov-9

Hey Justin,

first of all, congratulations on 3 months! You’ve had a lot going on, and still found the courage to say no to the junkie thoughts so give yourself a pat on the back. 

Sorry to hear your problems are continuing, when will you find out what’s going on? I’m sure it’s nothing major, but it doesn’t help not knowing.

Ive had a pretty tough week myself too, and it’s challenged me too, but by the sounds of it not as Stressful as yours and Jes’,

keep us updated when you hear from your doctor

Jake Frood

Nov-9

Hey Jes,

sorry for the extremely late reply, I’ve not had a great week really, although it seems pretty great compared to yours. 

Mom really glad to hear you’re hanging in there, it can’t be easy but you’re doing great. I think you deserve a break away somewhere once your project has finished, get away from work and get away from the family dynamics. Many of my family from my grandparents generation were alcoholics so unfortunately I can relate to you in some way, though never my immediate family, I have seen t time and time again. Your dad may or may not be helping but he will do what he has to, as any of us would fornour children, he could potentially be encouraging her behaviour but his heart is in the right place. I really hope for your sake she is seeking the support, and not just making out she is, but that can’t be hidden for long, if that is the case. Only once she is ready will the support work. 

It’s times like these that really test us, and you’ve done great, made us all proud that you’ve managed to stay smokefree through it. Keep us updated on how your sister is going!

jdamn

Nov-10

Thanks so much, you guys. It's been hard and it still is but I've made it pretty far and I couldn't have done it without you guys. You're the best. Now onto 4 months!

jdamn

Nov-10

Hi Sue. Thank you so much. I couldn't have made it this far without you, keeping this thread alive and generally being helpful all over the place. I often think of a couple of pieces of advice you gave: that the craving will pass whether I smoke or not, and that people who never smoked have bad days too.

It's in the low 20s here too and it's only going to get up to 36. I have to deal with my hydrangeas now and that's really the last of my gardening for the year, except piling peat around my roses. I need to buy burlap. I hope they have it at Walmart.

Still having junkie thoughts but I'm dealing. My chest pains seem to be getting weaker and less frequent every day, so maybe whatever's wrong with me will get better on its own.

Be careful running your errands if it gets snowy. You and Skippy have a great smoke-free day too. Thanks so much and take care.

jdamn

Nov-10

Hi Jake. Sorry you've had a stressful week. You sure do have a lot going on but you seem to be amazing at handling stress. Thank you for the congratulations. You'll have 3 months yourself pretty soon, right?

We don't really know what's going on with my heart, just that I'm having abnormal electrical activity. I go to the cardiologist next Wednesday and hopefully he'll know what's going on. I'll probably have to wear an ekg thing for a few days. My chest pains keep getting weaker and less frequent this week so maybe it will work itself out.

I hope everything works out for you, with the job change and everything. Thanks again and I'll keep you guys posted, i.e., whine to Sue, probably. Best of luck to you and take care.

• Edited November 10, 2017 3:52 am  by  jdamn
SueP (josep2001)

Nov-10

Hi Justin,

Glad your chest pains are getting less, even though they still do not know what is causing it.

Is very winding here this morning. Was 21 at 7 AM but now up to 26. Had a little snow sometime - flurry I guess as not much left to see. Is very windy as they said it would be.

Tomorrow morning will be the cold on at 12 degrees. but then will be in the 30s during the day.

Hope you have a good day....sue quit 3/17/2016

jdamn

Nov-11

12 degrees!? That is so cold. We're in the low 20s again but we're supposed to get up to 50 most days next week. I'm looking forward to that. Still having really bad junkie thoughts in the morning but I'm hanging in there. You and Skippy have a great weekend. It must be too cold for his little legs outside, poor guy. Do you ever do walk aerobics with him?

Hi Justin,

I was happy to read you are feeling a little better.  When will you see your doctor to find out if there is a problem? 

Morning used to be the worst for me too.  It will eventually fade.  I used to have this phrase on postcards in several rooms and had to say it to myself everyday-sometimes several times a day.

"If I have just one I will be right back where I started; and where I started was desperately wishing I could be where I am today".

jdamn

Nov-11

Hi Marge. I think of that quote a lot, actually. It's at its worst when I'm all foggy, before coffee. I always get through it but I keep expecting the jt's to get better butvso far they haven't :(.

I go to the doctor on Wednesday. They'll probably make me wear an ekg thingie for a few days before they know what's going on because the electrical activity is not normal right now, or it wasn't when I went to the doctor, anyway. We'll see :/.

Hi Justin,

It will be a load off your mind just to get the facts.  You probably have concern in the back of your mind and that creates a little extra stress and that creates a trigger.  That HALT reminder does seem to be right on mark.  We trigger cravings more when we are Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired.   

Mornings used to get to me because I would sometimes forget overnight  that I was an Ex-Smoker and then wham! , here came a craving:)

Relax over the weekend and treat yourself well.  Deep breathing really helped me a lot especially when I felt overwhelmed.