About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Better Now Than Never '17   Quit Buddies Unite

Started Nov-3 by ModAndrea; 5868 views.
coldturkey17

Nov-7

I am doing better!  It is still painful but nothing like it was.  I got casted yesterday, it is awkward and heavy to lug around but I will get used to it.  The worst is behind me, every day is one day closer to a foot that is all put back together and will take me hiking again!  Thank you for checking on me!!  You all are really so awesome and supportive XOXO

Today is one month, a 5 days!  WOOT!!

coldturkey17

Nov-7

This is really true.  We would smoke together all the time.  He works nights and I work days - so when we had the time together, we would go out on the porch and have a cigarette and talk about our day, or the kids, whatever.  It was a conversation thing.  BUT I have to say he has been super great about my decision to quit.  He still goes outside, he doesn't leave the laying around for me to see and doesn't smoke in the car.   All things I really appreciate and glad that he is supporting me in that way.  Maybe he will decide to stop himself one day.  Who knows.  This is what I have for now.

Since stopping, my anxiety has deceased some which is a big deal.  I don't smell.  My clothes don't smell.  My car doesn't smell.  I don't feel like I have to hide a terrible habit anymore.  We are saving money.  My conscious is clear (I felt guilty for smoking), bad for me, money, disappointment in myself.  I could go on I'm sure...... and I still think about it, and I still want one sometimes, but so far so good.  And I just had surgery.   I want to heal fast and I want to heal right, that is a major priority for me and the driving force.   One month and 5 days.

coldturkey17

Nov-7

I love this.  How kind to post a note like that after so much time.  LOVE.

SueP (josep2001)

Nov-7

Hey Lynn,

I keep checking every night to see if you have been posting and have not seen anything for a couple days.

Hope all is going well with you and it is just that you are busy all day and then tired in the evening.

Have a great smoke free night...sue quit 3/17/2016

coldturkey17

Nov-8

I always thought to myself that I had super strong genes.  My mother smoked her whole life and is still alive today at 77 and seemingly in good health.  Oh well, I'm good then right.  Well - I started to feel bad and my anxiety got so much worse with menopause and just life in general.  Then I was listening to a radio show and they mentioned this very same situation - and they were like listen, these people (like my mother) are anomalies, this doesn't generally happen.  Stop.  Smoking kills.  That kinda woke me up.

DJ (colbymorty)

Nov-8

Good morning, 

Support is very important.  Congratulations you have reached one month +5 the results are in! you  mentioned all the wonderful benefits of not smoking in one month! I support  your healing process this is what quitting is a process right.  

Have a good day today and smile

Best

DJ

Lynn (Tx38special)

Nov-8

Thanks Sue for checking on me. I'm doing really good. I'm still nicotine free!! I have thoughts of smoking but will NOT act on them! I don't want to go through those nasty nicotine withdrawls again. It was horrible!  I won't smoke. I do still from time to time suck on my vapor pipe ( it is nicotine free)!! It truely keeps me from smoking on the nasty cigarettes. It's just there to fill a void (like after supper cigarette). But like I said, I use it sparingly.

Dolly and Mister are getting along so great. They lick each others faces all the time. They start or act like they are going to mate then of of a sudden stop! I think it's funny that they can't mate. Good thing they are each spayed and neutured.

I have been busy with trying to make appointments. 4 times now the nutritionist has changed the appointment. According to him, I will ONLY have 1 class that is 1 and a half hours long.....For $100.00! My sister, who had the same surgery, went to 5 classes before she could have her surgery. So I'm just kind of wondering about how it's going to go with his class. I have to get this done before the end of the year so my insurance will pay 100 percent for it!

And yes, I have been too tired in the evenings to get on the computer at night. But I will try to get on here more often.

How are you doing? How is Skippy? Is the weather cold up there now? It's 45 degrees here right now. All the animals are here in bed with me right now, lol. Dolly lives under the covers all the time. I need to buy her a sweater so I can take her outside to do her business. I gotta go make me some breakfest. Will talk more in a little bit. 

Take care, stay warm, Lynn

One week, four days, 9 hours, 53 minutes and 0 seconds. 342 cigarettes not smoked, saving $118.97. Life saved: 1 day, 4 hours, 30 minutes.

Lynn (Tx38special)

Nov-8

Hey Cold Turkey, 

Just a note to let you know your not alone with the spouse smoking. My husband smokes in the truck, in the house, just where ever he pleases, he doesn't care about what I am going through. I tell him all the time he stinks! Or I'll say to him "HEY, You just put out a cigarette why are you smoking another one?" I know it's hard to be around the smoke. I heard ya on that. Try to hang in there the best you can. When I'm at home, I seperate myself from dh, especially after dinner.

I just went through the smoker's flu and all the withdrawls of nicotine and I say now I will not smoke again after going through that! I've had multiple quits but this one is the last one! Because I never had the withdrawls like that before and i don't want to do it again.

So have a good smoke free day.

Take care, Lynn

One week, four days, 10 hours, 19 minutes and 50 seconds. 342 cigarettes not smoked, saving $119.16. Life saved: 1 day, 4 hours, 30 minutes.

SueP (josep2001)

Nov-8

Lynn, so glad to here how well you are doing.

Does the surgeon know you need to get the surgery done before the end of the year? Hope they can get you in and that all goes well. I would think you would need more then one meeting/appointment to be ready for the surgery. They usually want to be sure you are totally committed to following everything after the surgery, like the diet and exercise and general followup. Good luck.

Sounds like Mister and Dolly have really bonded which is great.

Have a great smoke free day....sue quit 3/17/2016

ModAndrea

Nov-8

coldturkey17 said:

The worst is behind me, every day is one day closer to a foot that is all put back together and will take me hiking again! 

That's the spirit, coldturkey! Be extra patient with yourself as you get used to the cast. I'm assuming you're on crutches. Those take a while to get a handle on. I was exhausted for days. You gotta figure between the stress of surgery and just trying to move around, a person would have a right to be tired. 

And deserve to be pampered. blush

Congratulations on one month and 6 days now!

Hugs,

Andrea