About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Phoebemagnolia celebrates EIGHT   One Year and Beyond Milestones

Started Nov-21 by Susan1206; 937 views.
Susan1206

Nov-21

Dear Friends ~

Eight years ago tomorrow, I put down my pack of Winston Lights and made a life-changing decision.  It was the day before Thanksgiving, the grandchildren were getting older and how in the world was I going to sneak out to the garage to have a ciggie?  Enough was enough was enough!

I  had decided, after a lifetime of being a closet smoker and sneaking a smoke here and there,  that I would quit.  I would quit for my husband who had vascular disease.  If he could see that I could accomplish this feat, perhaps he would also.   In the end, I discovered that one can ONLY quit for yourself.  You cannot will someone else to do so.   It was grueling and I stuck by the Forum 24/7 for months on end.  I whined constantly to anyone who would listen.  When will I FIND THE PEACE?   My Nope-vember group was very supportive and friendships with angels on the Forum would spur me on.  

The bottom line is that IF you really want to change.  If you want to admit that you are addicted to nicotine and the physical and psychological effects of smoking, then you must begin now.  I only wish I would have quit years earlier.

Thank you to my original thread and to the wonderful Sensational Senior Thread.  A special thank you to Bonnie, Kitty, Lee, Karen, MaryAnn and Pancake for reeling me in and keeping me on track and to so many others (including the mods and angels)!

Grateful and blessed every single day for the rest of my life.  Life is Good!

Susan (phoebemagnolia) 

P.S.  My husband never could quite manage to quit.  One of the saddest days of my life was when I found two unsmoked ciggies in his pants pocket,  the morning after he passed away from his fifth aneurysm.   In my heart, I know the difference was that I had found the life-saving Forum!

Hi Susan,

Congratulations, on 8 years quit.  You are an inspiration to me.  I was a closet smoker too after a 2 year relapse and am so grateful I no longer have to live that way.

karno12

Nov-21

I am so proud of you...and your accomplishment and glad you joined the Seniors  it always makes me  glad if anything that was said was helpful to a newer quitter....you have what it takes and love having you with the "Seniors".....pat yourself on the back.....

Need_Freedom

Nov-22

EIGHT IS GREAT!!  Congrats Susan!

Susan1206

Nov-22

Thank you, dear Donna ~

It's been a pleasure to be on this life-saving journey with you .

Are you traveling this winter?    Happy holiday to you and your family.  ((hugs))  Susan

• Edited November 22, 2017 6:08 am  by  Susan1206
Susan1206

Nov-22

Thank you, dear Marge ~

Appreciate your sweet comments and yes, the freedom of being a non-smoker is most wonderful.  I only feel sadness now for the people I see puffing away.    Enjoy the holiday with your family.  ((hugs))  Susan

Susan1206

Nov-22

Thank you, dear Kitty ~

You know you have been instrumental in welcoming into our Sensational Senior group and keeping me on the straight and narrow path during those first few years.

It's been my honor to walk the walk and be on this journey with you.  ((hugs))   Susan

Congratulations Susan 8 years have passed since you changed your life. Life is better as a quitter. I've been following in your footsteps. I totally agree that this forum has plenty of angels ready and willing to offer just the right amount of support. Now onto year 9 for you.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Susan1206

Nov-22

Thank you, Debbie ~

And congratulations on your four year victory over nicotine!  Quite an accomplishment for all of us and so worth it.  Happy holiday to you and your family ~  Susan

gtp1

Nov-22

Congratulations. Well deserved. Continue to be proud.

Tim........Quit 9/10/14