About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Less Stress Maybe   General Chit-Chat

Started Nov-24 by Noel001; 471 views.
Noel001

Nov-24

Maybe quitting actually helps with reducing stress after a while.  Yesterday I had all three children come have dinner with us. My oldest needed to be picked up and brought home, he's over 1/2 hour away. Over the course of the afternoon he had asked me to buy him cigarettes, he was in and out of the apartment a million times, on his cell phone constantly and when we were leaving to drive him home,  made an obvious drug deal right under the noses of myself and my husband. This morning in checking my bank balance saw a withdrawal from an ATM dated yesterday that I did not make, opened my wallet and discovered my ATM card is gone. Normally I would have gone completely off the deep end and massively smoked. Instead, I verified with the bank and with in-store cameras on the atm that it was definitely my son. had the ATM card deactivated, checked with my husband and other two children to make sure they have all their money and credit cards (they do) and am extremely thankful he did not steal ALL my money. I sent my oldest a message simply saying "you can save yourself some embarrassment by knowing that my card has been deactivated and will not work for you again". I just feel like yes, that's pretty low, I am really mad at him and disappointed and of course sad that he's so addicted to drugs that  he'd steal from his mother on thanksgiving. but I've got the situation handled and for the most part, the emotional factor just seemed much more under control that it would have previously. Interesting.

ModDee

Nov-24

I am so sorry that you had this unfortunate situation occur.  Addiction of any kind can often push one towards poor choices and decisions things we would never consider in a non addicted state.  You handled this stressful trigger to smoke magnificently considering the situation.  You built stronger mental muscle yesterday that will be there for you as you continue your cessation journey.

Have a wonderful day.

ModSue (VentasSue)

Nov-24

Hey Noel

Well done on handling such a heart-breaking situation so very well.  I am really sorry that you are having to go through this.

Hopefully, your son will sort himself out soon and I just know that, when he does, he will feel huge remorse about what he has done to hurt you.    

I think you are right that we handle stressful situations much better when we face them full on without hiding behind our smoke-screen as we did in our smoking days.  You should be proud of yourself and, although it may not feel like it at the moment, you are a wonderful example to your kids and you are certainly a very strong lady.

Keep going and you'll see more and more benefits as time goes on.

In reply toRe: msg 2
Noel001

Nov-24

I noticed work stuff is more manageable too.  I used to stress about making sure I was 100% "caught up" at the end of every day. And if I wasn't I'd stay late and smoke every 1/2 hour or so until I was 100% caught up. Now, when it's 5pm I leave. Just like everyone else. finished or not finished. And if it's not good enough, nobody dies. I'm just a secretary. 

Noel001

Nov-24

thanks for the encouragement. With or without the drama, I am glad to have made it through my first official holiday without a cigarette. That was different. It definitely made the day feel longer. Not particularly in a good way but I did find some happiness along the way so it wasn't quite as uncomfortable as I had expected it to be.  Mostly after the meal. but I would have felt ghetto smoking outside on the other side of the sliding glass door while my daughter who has quit everything bad and my grandson stayed in on the warm side of the glass. 

ModSue (VentasSue)

Nov-25

Hey Noel

I just love the image of you, your daughter and grand-son all sat together on the 'warm' side of the sliding glass door. You must be so proud of her, too.  As we know, it's not easy to quit everything 'bad'.  She's obviously got her strength from her mum.

Have a great, smoke-free weekend.

Noel001

Nov-25

Awww, thank you! There's my beautiful baby girl in front. And my two handsome sons on each side of me. On thanksgiving. the tall one is who gave me trouble. And this picture was taken within hours of his shenanigans. Looks can be deceiving. Nevertheless, I want to be here on earth forever for each one of them and of course, be able to run fast with their babies forever:)  I will also point out behind us is the glass door I spend so much time in and out of.

In reply toRe: msg 7
Noel001

Nov-25

"spent" so much time in and out of that is.

ModSue (VentasSue)

Nov-25

Hey Noel

What a beautiful family.  Let's hope that, soon, your troubled son will get a moment of clarity and acceptance of his powerless over drugs and, then, get himself clean.  He has some great examples in his mum and his sister, which must help.

I knew you meant 'spent'!  You're doing great.

DJ (colbymorty)

Nov-26

Nice photo of you and your family.  I have a son and I have been disappointed.  It can be heartbreaking when they make bad decisions. I would blame myself thinking I failed which is nuts  my son needed to take responsibility. Good of you to think of yourself and not smoke.  I think your going to beat this smoking thing.  Nice glass door by the way.   I used to go out my front door sit outside in the pouring rain.  So stupid. 

Take care,  think of that marathon!

Deanne