About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

DJ's Journey   Quit Stories and Journals

Started Dec-1 by DJ (colbymorty); 302 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
DJ (colbymorty)

Dec-1

I am excited about starting this Journal.  Just got back from my Thanksgiving trip to SF. Processing what happened.  I need to think in  the safety of my home with my dog laying at my feet in Oregon surrounded by trees, birds, wildlife water water water. It's quiet.   

I have now stopped smoking for 1 month, 2 weeks, 3 days, 8 hours, 59 minutes, 37 seconds. That translates into 816 cigarettes NOT smoked, for a savings of $265.44! At 5 minutes per cigarette I have increased my life expectancy by 2 days, 20 hours, 3 minutes, 43 seconds.

This is all I care about right now.  

In reply toRe: msg 2
DJ (colbymorty)

Dec-2

I am grateful today that I am not smoking.  I am fighting this battle because I want to live. My life is a bit unsettled right now smoking will not change that.  

I have Gratitude for the following: 

I am not homeless

I have a dog

I have a car 

I don't smoke

I can post to this forum and receive help when I need it for that 

I am very grateful. 

In reply toRe: msg 3
DJ (colbymorty)

Dec-2

My ex stopped to visit on his way back to Montana from San Francisco. I am excited to have him visit. Sad when he leaves.  It takes about a day for me to recover.  Our relationship is complicated.  I can't believe we are divorced.  Together for 20 years.  We had a lot of good years together mixed with a lot of fighting.   We still love each other.  It's actually not too bad living apart.  I wish he was closer. Billings Montana is far. Erik is in Germany.  Sometimes I get scared when I realize I am alone.  

Going to sleep now.  I want to start a new routine.  Getting up early work out and start seriously looking for a FT job.  

In reply toRe: msg 4
DJ (colbymorty)

Dec-3

I talked to Erik today.  He doesn't know about my struggles to quit smoking.  We were very close.  I was a single mom.  Josh came into his life when he was 4.    Josh and I smoked smoked but not around Erik.  We would quit together and start again. I never fully quit but only smoked occasionally.  I was heavily into triathalons at that time.   Picked up the pace in 2012 when I started a very stressful job at Stanford University and my marriage was falling apart.  My mom died, Erik moved away, Josh moved out, Josh's mom died ,

divorce.  All too much.  All of this happened within months.   My smoking escalated.  In fact, all of these events gave me permission to go for it. I embraced the idea that I could smoke as much as I wanted.  Who cares. It was almost to spite myself.  I was a failure as a mom, wife, person. Stinkin Thinkin.  I don't feel like that anymore. I made a lot of mistakes.   I did my best. Far from perfect. I felt my priorities were in the right place.  

Erik moved to another apartment still in Kreuzberg Germany. Going to graduate school.  He is a German/American citizen so his life is pretty easy there.  He identifies as German.  His grandmother lives 4 hrs away by train. He does have someone there.  That makes me happy.  I miss him very much.  My vision is coming out of this as a more honest person.  Honest to self.  Can't change what has happened.  Life is a gift.  I am trying hard to be my best self. 

In reply toRe: msg 5
DJ (colbymorty)

Dec-4

I have now stopped smoking for 1 month, 2 weeks, 5 days, 22 hours, 30 minutes, 20 seconds. That translates into 1,965 cigarettes NOT smoked, for a savings of $638.77! At 5 minutes per cigarette I have increased my life expectancy by 6 days, 19 hours, 47 minutes, 14 seconds
SUNDAYS ARE ROUGH made it through.    
In reply toRe: msg 6
DJ (colbymorty)

Dec-9

I am grateful because

I didn't crave a cigarette today

My dog Colby is always by my side

I was honest with myself 

I am independent

No rain in Oregon for the past week !!!

God bless California 

God help me get motivated to start working again.  

In reply toRe: msg 7
DJ (colbymorty)

Dec-14

I am grateful for not smoking for almost 2 mos

I am grateful that I am still healthy

I am grateful that my new home is very nice, I have a full stomach,

I am warm 

I am grateful that Erik and I had a nice long talk this week

I am grateful for being on this earth.

I have now stopped smoking for 1 month, 3 weeks, 1 day, 10 hours, 14 minutes, 48 seconds. That translates into 861 cigarettes NOT smoked, for a savings of $258.42! At 5 minutes per cigarette I have increased my life expectancy by 2 days, 23 hours, 47 minutes, 1 second.