About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

SENSATIONAL SENIORS   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 8/23/15 by ModDee; 1640417 views.
Kittyarnold

Aug-26

Another lovely and sunny day except it is supposed to get into the 90's.....what kind of agenda does that call for?  for me it means stay inside in the AC......hope your day goes well Ernie

Diana (DianaSaigo)

Aug-26

Morning Ernie!

yes...am so over the heat!  Very interesting that you are in the Binghamton vicinity. My great grandparents had a farm in the Conklin area...my dad was raised in Conklin/Endicott area...and for a time as a child,  we lived in Binghamton...I dont remember much about it..as was around 6 yo...(i keep suggesting the family reunions be up in that area versus Hotter than heck Tampa, Florida in August...LOL)

Sounds like you had a productive day Tuesday!  

How long were you in the Army for?  

Hope you have a great day today!

Kittyarnold

Aug-26

I have family history in Endicott and Binghamton...my paternal grandfather was a miner and died at the age of 40 so I never knew him... did often visit that area with my Dad when I was a kid...shoe factories as I recall...Pa was the coal mining history....

Cocoa60

Aug-27

Good morning Kitty.  I usually get a couple things done outside even when hot.

I just don't tackle a large all day job, usually less than an hour.  I'm trying to save

a pine tree my wife planted decades ago.  Put some stuff that's insect killer and

food and another bag of plant food for evergreens.  Think it's around 60 feet tall.

Watering it twice a day to sink the food into the dirt. 

I'm still getting some water seeping through the basement walls even after all the

effort.  I cleared out an area yesterday, cleaned the wall, put a new coat waterproof

paint on the lower wall there. 

We did have Endicott Johnson Shoes manufactured here.  I used to buy them but they

are gone now.  IBM started here also but is about gone also.  I grew up in Wellsboro, PA

though so don't identify to much with the companies.   I worked for IBM Federal Systems

Division for about 17 years as it was eventually sold to Loral and then Lockheed Martin.

I worked on black boxes for B52 bomber, B1B bomber, F15 fighter, Stealth, Blackhawlk

helicopters. 

My wife needs cataract surgery but we have to wait until she is off National Health Care

insurance and on my medicare supplement insurance.  Her insurance is really bad, our

health organization pays the balance but has nothing to do with eye surgery. 

Wish Brian success in his surgery.

Have a good day.

Ernie

Our pine tree

Cocoa60

Aug-27

Good morning Diana.  I moved here to go to college and get a career to support my family.

There wasn't and isn't much around my first home town of Wellsboro, PA. 

I was on active Army for 3 years, then inactive for 3 years, then active reserves for one year.

As far as I can tell my best friend in the Army died in an accident way back in 81. 

My granddaughter lives over in Conklin and goes to school there and some courses at Broome

Community College at the same time.  I go over to Conklin to pick her up sometimes. 

Can't imagine going to Florida right now, maybe couple months from now.

Enjoy the day.

Ernie

Our Monte Carlo SS in front of Dad's barn.  Brother sold barn.

SS is in car hospital right now to fix 6 dents it got when tent collapsed on it, 48 inches of snow December, 2020. 

Kittyarnold

Aug-27

Your pine tree looks like it is ok but I am not close....and the road with barn looks so much like our barn in north country NYS.....flash backs of memories now...  another hot day expected here already 79 and it is only 8:30  my agenda? stay inside again....Brian is already out harvesting any ready veggies....more summer squash wish there was a good way to can/freeze but it doesn't work with the squash.....I can't remember if I said our house is being painted...they are already here....feel for the outside workers in this heat...stay cool and have a good day.

Cocoa60

Aug-28

Good morning Kitty.  Rained last eve here so didn't water pine tree.  The

food and insect killer I got for it, just spreads on the ground around it and

soaks in with water.  So I water it twice a day.  That whole section that is brown

is dying, would be partly brown in October but not in August.  We have another

one that isn't sharp green so I cut the brush and small trees that were under it

yesterday.  Moved most of the brush away from the tree, was hot working.

Will probably get some evergreen food for it.

Don't think I will be able to get the barn back because my brother sold it to the

neighbors heavily discounted, like they didn't run a septic line through there.

Hard to say what will happen in future generations after I'm gone, might get

it back somehow.  If we expand the land with the farm house, it will probably

be behind the house where they didn't put a septic line.

I have a picture of dad in front of the barn but don't think it's on this computer.

We would all love to see a picture of your house after it's finished.

My wife made fried squash last night.  I had enough to eat but had one slice.

Have a good day.

Ernie

Kittyarnold

Aug-28

Fried squash?  recipe please?....another cloudy day here...had heavy rain earlier ....no agenda as of yet...hope your day is lovely

Cocoa60

Aug-29

Good morning Kitty.  We got rain Friday but just cloudy Saturday.  I have that insect killer

and food under the pine tree but I have to leave the hose and sprinkler up there, 150 feet

of hose.  I have grass seed and potting soil a few spots in the lawn so hoping for rain there.

I think my wife uses raw egg and flour and puts the slices of squash into it, then fries them.

So it's as old as me and probably much older but can't ask her anything for hours.

I cut more brush and small trees away from our pine trees, dragged some up out of the lawn

by hand because the lawn isn't dry anymore, the tractor would mark it all up.

Cleared a path to my welding equipment to get out my welding helmet to take down to the

farm.  Didn't see my brothers helmet and don't want to wear his anyway.  I have to weld nuts

onto the the three sheered off bolts so I can reach into the little space and turn them out.  On

the diesel tractor on the farm where the pump attachment to the front of the engine has come

apart.

I got ready to change our water filters but waited until no more showers and didn't get back to it.

I run the bath after I change them but no guarantee we won't get that black water after.  I put a bucket

underneath and flush the pipe out while I'm changing it, down cellar. 

Have a good day.

Ernie

Kittyarnold

Aug-29

getting tired of cloudy....I thought New England was sunny in the summer.....what will we do in February?   only agenda so far is lunch at out daughters...which is good....hope your day is great.....