About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

SENSATIONAL SENIORS   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 8/23/15 by ModDee; 459258 views.

I too believe that we need to give back.  I belong to a walking group.  We started with just 8 of us, and we have now grown to about 12.     We got a few new ones along the way.    I introduced myself to the  new ones and one of them said "Yes I know you from your community work."  I was happy.     Red Cross was a good organisation to work for and it is good that as we age we can keep giving.

I do hope your baby shower goes well.  You have gone to such a lot of trouble.

Today is not a good day for me.....I relapsed....I can hardly believe that I could be so stupid.   I will just have to go back to square one and look at what I am not doing so I can correct my thinking.

Hugs from Aussie Land

Vivienne

Susan1206

Sep-8

Dear Viv,

I'm sorry.....No, never stupid  ~ it's just the "addiction" and something I never really wanted to admit or fully understand.  I've heard that nicotine addiction (both physical and mental) is a very powerful one.

You are a very strong lady and you know the drill.   Yes, identifying triggers will definitely help.  Mine was just pure stress.....whenever I felt stressed, I would remove myself to the backyard or behind a tree (closet smoker) and puff away.  I thought it helped but eventually learned that it may have actually contributed to the stress, rather than take it away.

I feel as if I'm addicted to this Weather Channel.  It's not good and I must quit worrying and go to sleep.

Carry on...as we say and remain solid in your commitment to be a non-smoker.  It's the only way to live a good healthy life.

((hugs))  Susan

For me it is largely a mind game.      I do not have any particular stress at present, it would seem that even though I had 5 months up I hadn't really changed my thinking about my relationship with the nico demon.     My husband isn't talking to me.      It will pass.

Thanks for your support.'

Hugs

Vivienne

Msg 30.7475 deleted
Susan1206

Sep-9

Dear Viv,

So true that one must change their entire mindset about smoking.  I so stuck my head in the sand about it all.  Stressed and smoked...stressed and smoked.

I don't know why I thought your husband continued to smoke.  If he is "mad" at you, then he must not be smoking.   I've carped on this before, but I quit to show my husband it could be done.  I had the Forum and what a difference it made in my quit.  He would sneak outside or to the garage and smoke, come in and wreak of ciggie smoke.  Did it make me angry and upset?   Yes.   I came to realize that the addiction was strong and he really didn't want to quit.  Nothing as sad as the day I brought his clothes home from the hospital after his death and found ciggies in the pocket.  We all make choices.  I'm glad that I made the choice I did.

P.S.  Your husband will "get over it"... LOL

((hugs))  Susan

Susan1206

Sep-9

Dear Marciame ~

Just checking in this very early Saturday morning.  Not unusual for me to be up and about in the middle of the night.  I've learned to go with it....especially when there are many things on my mind.

How are you doing?  Is the medication helping?    I pray that it is.  Please keep in touch and let us know.

Yes, watching the Weather Channel and praying for all in its path.  I'll drink a cup of Joe and most likely go back to bed.....

((hugs)) from Ohio.    Susan

• Edited September 9, 2017 4:33 am  by  Susan1206

Susan, My hubby still smokes - secretly.     I think a part of me thinks "If he can do it why can't I."   The thing is I can do it but I just don't want to.  I am going to adopt a positive attitude and tell myself that this is the time it will stick...and I will not give in to any little voices about "just one."   Yes, hubby will get over it.       

Hugs      Vivienne

FEELING POSITIVE

Susan1206

Sep-9

Dear Viv,

i think it is very, very difficult when one partner continues to smoke.  Truth be told, after six years of Joe being gone, I often feel pangs of anger at my husband and how smoking changed both of our lives. Be positive and take time to read about the health benefits when you quit....and to smell the posies..... 

Susan1206

Sep-9

Holding you close in my thoughts and in my prayers.    Susan

karno12

Sep-9

Thank you so much Susan.....hoping for some news today.....and Ocean Spirit is wild....they are showing the hurricane a 4 right over Sanibel and on up the west coast....if the house is swept away we might miss our walk on the beach....I hope she is good to us.....