About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Welcome January 2018 Ex Smokers   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started 12/27/17 by ModSue (VentasSue); 195803 views. (Closed)(Closed to new replies)
Bev_1977

2/2/18

Celia,

Last night I had a huge craving after dinner. I chewed a piece of 2 mg gum, so that was a total of 2 pieces all day. I then went to bed early. I won't up about 5:45 am this morning and was fine until I ate breakfast at around 7:30 am. I didn't chew the gum, but instead went back to bed. I then got up at 11:30 am. I chewed a piece of Trident while I took a shower, then put a fresh patch on. I'm on my second cup of coffee since then, and I feel fine at the moment.

Making a drastic cut like that with the nicotine was no different than going cold turkey. It was a huge adjustment, but I am starting to even out. I have one more week of 21 mg, then I will be stepping down to the 14 mg.

Bev

Quit January 17, 2018

Two weeks, two days, 2 hours, 35 minutes and 20 seconds. 483 cigarettes not smoked, saving $48.32. Life saved: 1 day, 16 hours, 15 minutes.

earth_americasearth_americas

Bev_1977

2/2/18

Sandoster,

You are in the right place. 

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your quit!

Bev

Quit January 17, 2018

Two weeks, two days, 2 hours, 38 minutes and 39 seconds. 483 cigarettes not smoked, saving $48.33. Life saved: 1 day, 16 hours, 15 minutes.

Bev_1977

2/2/18

Anthony,

Keep trying. What works for me is my resolve. I have come to terms with never smoking again. So no matter how tough a crave is, smoking is not an option.

You will get it eventually.

Bev

Quit January 17, 2018

Two weeks, two days, 2 hours, 40 minutes and 1 second. 483 cigarettes not smoked, saving $48.33. Life saved: 1 day, 16 hours, 15 minutes.

Bev_1977

2/2/18

MustQuit,

At the beginning of this quit, 16 days ago, I smoked 4 cigarettes. I was going to treat it as a "slip", but members of another smoking cessation site were against it. So, I reset my meter and have not taken one puff since.

A long time ago I went on a quit smoking program that was provided by my ex-husband's health insurance. I got free patches, but the catch was I had to do phone counseling one day per week. I smoked one cigarette a couple of days, or weeks (can't remember) into my quit. I was honest and told the phone counselor. She asked me if I only had one, and I said yes (that was the truth). She said that since it was only one, to keep moving forward with my quit.

Any time I smoke, I reset my meter. I want my quit to be honest. So when I try to treat something as a slip, the guilty conscience gets to me and that leads me down a road where I have a hard time recovering from. So with that said, I think one puff, or maybe just one cigarette can be considered a "slip". However, more than that should be treated as a relapse. After those puffs, you are back to square one with the physical and psychological withdrawal. This means that the statistics with the quit meter are wrong.

I will not judge. Do as you will to go forward towards freedom from this addiction. As for me, if I take another puff, I will reset my meter. I will not, however, go down that road again. This one finally clicked for me. I'm craving as I am typing this, but I will not smoke.

Anthony, get back to your quit as soon as you can. The longer you wait, the harder it will be.

Bev

Quit January 17, 2018

Two weeks, two days, 3 hours, 48 minutes and 9 seconds. 484 cigarettes not smoked, saving $48.48. Life saved: 1 day, 16 hours, 20 minutes.

Hi MustQuit,

There are no hard and fast rules...just bucket loads of support!!! It's not that slips are no big deal. For most smokers, there is no such thing as just one cigarette, and even one puff has the potential to reawaken the beast that nicotine addiction becomes. Once the junkie thinking has led a person to light a cigarette and smoke it, we know they are on very shaky ground with their quit. Here is the link to the Forum policy on slips versus relapses.

In short, there are no rules at this forum about how a person moves on from a smoking slip (e.g., whether they restart the quit meter). The bigger picture is about finding our way out of the enslavement that nicotine addiction forces on us. Slips are completely up to the person to define for themselves. This article may also help to clarify :-)

One minute and hour a time because each smoke-free minute counts!

Hugs, Jenn

Hi ((Sue)),

I just posted a message with a link to the Forum Policy on Slips versus Relapses. Is that the article you were thinking of? If not, let me know and I'll keep looking.

Hugs, Jenn

SueP (josep2001)

2/2/18

Bev,

I agree with you but remember one of the moderators says it is up to the individual as to how the treat it.

I think Anthony is already back on a new quit.

At least this has gotten people thinking - you and Anthony are very familiar with this but other new people are not.

Hope your day is going OK.

sue quit 3/17/2016

SueP (josep2001)

2/2/18

Hi Jenn, 'Yes that is the one I was thinking of - I can never find those when the issues come up - good think you guys are around to help out.

Thank you for posting it and hope it helps clarify things - at least by the amount of posts I have gotten people are thinking.

Have a great rest of your day.....sue quit 3/17/2016

Bev_1977

2/2/18

Sue,

I knew there are no rules. We all have the same goal. Not everyone can do it in one shot.

My day is going OK. I had one huge crave after breakfast. I took a nap to handle that one. I had 2 huge craves after lunch. I just let it take it's course when I drank some coffee and chewed some Trident.

I'm still on the 21 mg patch. I have not had any 2 mg gum today. I have that as a back up for really bad craves. I have been waiting the crave out. I had 2 pieces yesterday, one in the morning and one after dinner.

How are you doing?

Bev

Quit January 17, 2018

Two weeks, two days, 5 hours, 20 minutes and 20 seconds. 486 cigarettes not smoked, saving $48.67. Life saved: 1 day, 16 hours, 30 minutes.

SueP (josep2001)

2/2/18

Bev,

Sounds like you have things under control, which I hope stays that way.

I am doing well. We may be going to NJ Sunday to Monday for a Super Bowl Party at my nephews but depends on the weather - they are saying lots of snow and ice may be coming our way and if that happens my brother would not get back up his driveway and would need to get to his cat and bird. So is still up in the air.

Enjoy the rest of your afternoon...sue quit 3/17/2016