About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Freedom Marchers 2015   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 8/23/15 by ModDee; 1590446 views.
ProfKino

Jan-24

Hello Marge, Steve, Sue, and everyone!

I'm been reading posts here and it's great to witness your continued success. It's great to start another year free of cigarettes; remember when you had to carry them and the lighter wherever you went, and feeling relieved AND guilty of stupidity every time one lights up! Anyway, random thoughts...just think go every one I met here and how blessed and grateful I feel for this outlet. Keep in touch, Oscar

I'm teaching my first on-line course; trying to like it; missing the face-to-face conversations. 

CC to Gersheps

Hi Oscar,

Happy surprise hearing from you and always good to know you are still free of cigarettes; I do remember that nearly 20 times every  darn day I had to get that cigarette in me.  That is the thing that keeps me from lighting up > the freedom.

It is probably hard to avoid teaching the online course version and I can see how you would rather have the face to face.  It makes for a more exciting course and class.  Some of the best times I had in college was in the face to face back and forth.  

Hope your folks are well and your new place is now a comfortable place.  Last year had many changes for me- some for good and some that were very stressful.  The good thing is I seldom think about a smoke when stress mounts now.   We are blessed  as you say.  

Take care

Gersheps

Jan-24

Hey, Oscar,

Great to hear from you.  It sounds like you've adjusted well and are happy to be without cigarettes.  I think you hit it right on the head: the Freedom we now have.  I call it the Freedom to Not Smoke, and I'll always treasure that freedom.  Marge, Laura, and I are closing in on 5 years in a couple of months, and we're all looking forward to achieving that milestone.

Please keep in touch so we can continue to share the benefits of life without cigarettes.  BTW, have you been reading about the effects of vaping?  That was long touted as "Safer" than cigarettes.  Yeah, right.

Stay well.  Steve

ProfKino

Jan-25

Here's the current version of me taken early 2020 as a new professor at Florida International U.

I'm teaching a history course there this Spring in addition to my other work elsewhere. 

I want to say that I am very grateful to the amazing moderators Marge is my favorite ) and to all the time they gift the rest of us; talk about time on earth well spent; I visit only occasionally now in my 5th but still marvel at the human strength and the solidarity I find in these pages.

Yes Steve, it just seems to me that the thing to do is to avoid all such products and give your body a best chance for a long, active, happy life.

Oscar aka Professor Kino

• Edited January 25, 2020 2:38 pm  by  ProfKino
Gersheps

Jan-25

Hey, Oscar,

Good picture.  It's good to see you looking so relaxed and happy.

We weren't doing ourselves any favours by smoking, but there have been 110overdoses of opioids and meth and synthetic Pot this year in Portland alone.  Here's a thought; Why would anyone smoke synthetic Pot when you can get the real thing, legally?  SMH

Have a great day.

Steve

Hi there Laura,

Congratulations on your 5 year milestone,   Look how far you have come!!

Your the very first of our buddy group to make it.  What a difference time makes when we quit.

SueP (josep2001)

Feb-18

Hey Laura,

Congratulations on 5 years smoke free.

Image result for 5 years quit smoking picture

Sue quit smoking 3/17/2016

lm2015

Feb-18

Thanks for the congrats.  It's hard to believe it's been 5 years.

Laura

lm2015

Feb-18

Marge,

A big thanks to you for inviting me into your group.  I'd be lost without you all.  

Laura

Gabby2020

Feb-18

Hi Sue and Marge!

I lost my password so have not left messages but I do read what others are writing.  So happy you both remain quit!   Me too.  It’s the best thing I have ever done for myself. It took me a year to really get to a good place.  Lots of anxiety that first year, but everyday it got better. 

Hope all is well!  Please let me know. 

• Edited February 18, 2020 10:29 pm  by  Gabby2020