About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Freedom Marchers 2015   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 8/23/15 by ModDee; 1684476 views.

Hi Debbie,

I want to tell you how much I appreciate your working in a nursing home these days.   I happened to see you post to Rich right before I saw that today was nurse appreciation day.

I am in Maryland and 50% of the deaths have been in nursing homes.  It's heartbreaking.

You rock Deb.

ProfKino

May-20

Hello! Just checking in after several months absence. I've been reading posts from the dear friends who welcomed me here and supported my quit. I am very grateful to Steve up in Maine, my Mod Marge, who adopted me in this March thread even though I joined in May. Congratulations to you guys for reaching your 5 years of freedom from this terrible addiction. I wish I had written back in March...So many nice people have befriended me here...I'm sorry if your name escapes me at this moment...

Big congrats to Annie XS who just achieved a 5 year quit this month!

Thanks Debbie for your work and service....Hi there to SueP and our correspondent in Spain ModSue, and Laura, and..You helped me tremendously when I needed it most. 

As far as smoking cessation, what I can say to someone seeking advice is that what makes my quit last is being convinced, deep down, that smoking a cigarette would not, in any way,  improve any situation, no matter how terrible and horrific. This is the thought I reinforce to protect the quit.

Best regards to you all and take care of yourselves,

Oscar Jubis aka Professor Kino.

CC to Gersheps
  • Edited May 20, 2020 7:28 am  by  ProfKino

Hello there Oscar,

What a treat hearing from you this morning.  It made my day.  Of course, we are still on much lockdown here so even a trip to the mailbox is an event.  

I was thinking about you yesterday with your own 5 year anniversary coming up.   I remember many a day during our first and second year how you injected some much needed humor or some interesting thought into the day.  It's been a pleasure to have you as part of our buddy group.
Just 10 more days and you have your wings, then Professor Kino can fly.
Gersheps

May-20

Good Morning Oscar,

Glad to hear from you.  I remember you have a 5th year coming up soon, but I don't remember the date.

Thanks for the shout-out.  I'm always glad to hear that I helped someone to overcome this addiction. Ours was bad enough, but some of the so-called alternatives on the market are even worse (vaping for example).  At least we didn't get involved with that.  Your reinforcing thought is right on the money.  I'm happy that it worked for you

It must be pretty good to be in FL right now.  Up here, the nights are still in the 30s, and we have had frost warnings for 2 of the last 4 nights.  We have had frost up here as late as Memorial Day.  The normal growing season up here is short enough without an extended cold "Spring."

Hope everything is going well for you, and I'm looking forward to congratulating you on reaching 5 years of Freedom to Not Smoke.

Steve

So great to hear from you! Yes THE QUIT really is a MIND GAME. Staying on the Quit Mindset takes tenacity, stubbornness and commitment which are traits we all have at various levels. I knew you could do it too by staying close to the forum and pledging to get through each day smoke free till it just became automatic. Soon you'll hit your 5 year mark along with so many others.

I'm working at a nursing home to help out during this pandemic. The PPE is hot and sweaty and makes taking care of others much more difficult. So far I have not been affected. We all just want this to go away for good. Stay safe and healthy.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

SueP (josep2001)

May-20

Hi Debbie,

Good for you being able to help out in this Pandemic. Thank you for those who can't or don't thank you.

I could not do that any more. Retired my RN license before left FL.

Am glad you are staying well and please stay that way.

sue quit 3/17/2016

SueP (josep2001)

May-20

Hi Oscar,

I like you was adopted into this group, but am a year behind. Could not have done it without you all and this forum.

Wish we all would have / would have quit years before we did but can not go back and undo it.

Right now is a matter of staying healthy during the Pandemic - now starting the reopening.

Stay well.

sue quit 3/17/2016

Gersheps

May-20

Hi, Oscar,

I'm confused.  Is your 5th anniversary this month, or was it April?  I always thought it was in May.  If I did miss it, then belated huge congrats on completing 5 years of quitting this miserable addiction.  Like the rest of us, you had your hard times, but you kept your eyes on the prize and came out a winner.

I guess the month isn't all that important.  You are a non-smoker, and that's what matters most.

Steve

ProfKino

May-21

Hello Marge, so great to hear from you too. We are also on lockdown here too. There are places in Florida that have not been affected as much as Miami and they begun to reopen earlier. I love going to the beach and running on the rubber track at the park. I cannot do that yet. I understand what you say about getting the mail being an event nowadays. I completed stopped socializing in person with anyone except my parents, who need my help so they can continue to live independently. They have a pool and it's been great to be able to swim there because the one in my building is closed, as it should be. I am really moved that you remember my quit date exactly. You are amazing! 

ProfKino

May-21

Good afternoon Steve, thanks for your kind comments. Down here, in the southern tip of Florida, it is still really nice outside. It's been unusually breezy and mild in the past few months, by the way. That's about to change. The "mean season" here is between now and October, when it's always hot and muggy. But I find it quite tolerable as long as I keep my weight down. I imagine you are looking forward to summer weather. I am thinking about traveling to New England by car this summer, especially if the college course I'm supposed to teach in July is cancelled for low enrollment. 

You're so right to bring up the alternatives to smoking such as vaping. I'm also glad I never got into that because it would provide a new excuse not to quit. You know what I mean, making the argument that it's not as bad...blah blah blah.

My quit date is May 30th, 2015

Take care my friend.

Best regards

Oscar aka Prof. Kino.

• Edited May 21, 2020 4:22 pm  by  ProfKino